• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
** Penn!

He busted up GSP last time and lost a very close decision, that was when he wasn't training full time and was a fat 170. He's a completely new animal now.

People realize that although GSP won the last fight, he was the one who had to stay overnight at a hospital for observation (he was interviewed by sherdog from a hospital bed). Hard to say he was the winner there.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
People realize that although GSP won the last fight, he was the one who had to stay overnight at a hospital for observation (he was interviewed by sherdog from a hospital bed). Hard to say he was the winner there.
"Georges St. Pierre spent the night in a hospital. I spent the night at a bar."
-- B.J. Penn, after GSP fight

Any Penn-GSP thread on sherdog is the equivalent of the black suits thread on StyleForum. Penn fans claim that he owned GSP in the first round and won the fight, while GSP partisans argue that Penn benefited from an illegal, though inadvertent, eyepoke in that first round.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

A lot of people thought it was a 10-8 first round with GSP winning rounds two and three due to BJP having no cardio. He fought that fight on talent alone.

** is training full time now working with a nutritionist and has completely changed his attitude towards fighting. He went from thinking he can have the world from talent alone to wanting to work for it and show everyone how dominate he can be. I'm sure if you ask Jens, Joe S and Sherk would win they might be putting their money on **. He made them all look like amateurs.

I don't see GSP knocking him out as I don't recall him ever even been hurt on his feet and I believe he's never even been knocked down, that's including his fight against Machida at 205 lbs
eh.gif

dinted voice

Reaction score
It should be an amazing fight. About ** not being knocked down, I think GSP could be the one to do that. GSP has been at the top of his game lately. Of course, ** is just as great a fighter. It could go either way, but since their last fight I think GSP has progressed more and become a powerhouse.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1

No to mention because ** has crazy natural talent and doesnt train that hard compared to other fighters he might over train for GSP which would only make GSP look better.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
I'll also give the slight edge to ** for many of the same reasons listed here. While GSP's a stud, I don't see him ever knocking out **. Penn by split decision.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
How can you predict ** to win by a split decision? A split decision means that one of the judges thought a fighter won, so it basically means you're betting that the judges are morons (a good bet, actually) and that both fighters can win, so it doesn't mean anything as a prediction.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
How can you predict ** to win by a split decision? A split decision means that one of the judges thought a fighter won, so it basically means you're betting that the judges are morons (a good bet, actually) and that both fighters can win, so it doesn't mean anything as a prediction.

I don't follow you. I'm simply predicting the outcome the same way boxing (or mma) sportswriters sometimes write predictions (e.g. Cotto by 3rd round KO) Have you never encountered such a thing?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd Morsel
I don't follow you. I'm simply predicting the outcome the same way boxing (or mma) sportswriters sometimes write predictions (e.g. Cotto by 3rd round KO) Have you never encountered such a thing?
Of course you can say "x will beat y in round 3", but saying the judges will call it a split decision is not saying that one fighter will not beat another, you're saying that both of them will win.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Of course you can say "x will beat y in round 3", but saying the judges will call it a split decision is not saying that one fighter will not beat another, you're saying that both of them will win.

Not really. Essentially, he is saying that some of the rounds will be too close to call, that this will reflect accordingly on the judges' scorecard, but that ultimately, the rounds, though very close, will go, statistically, in GSP's favor.

capnpyro

Reaction score
I'll take ** to win. And if we're in an office pool and have to call it specifically I'll say by rear naked choke in the 2nd. My thinking is **'s going to bust up GSP's face again and exert a little hawaiian gnp and force gsp to give up his back. Of course now that I say this GSP will win by doctor stoppage in the 1st or something. Edit:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I don't know - can't quite put my finger on it.
gsp%20nip.gif

WHAT THE **** IS THAT

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Re: split decision- I think people should say "x will beat y but it will be very close" because the nature of split decisions is almost always 1 judge being marsupialed, and sometimes 2.

Re: pic- Seriously I believe he's taking extra Vaseline from his lip and putting it on his nipples because mat burn there *really* sucks.

shimmyt

Reaction score
Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock Oct 4th: http://mmamania.com/2008/08/25/kimbo...ght-october-4/

Ken Shamrock (26-13-2)- the 44-year-old mixed martial arts pioneer who has not won a professional fight in more than four years "” is the next man to challenge Elite XC's most coveted possession, Kimbo Slice (3-0), according to Sherdog.com.

The bout will serve as the main event of "Saturday Night Fights" on CBS from the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., on October 4.

Shamrock was a among a short list of possible opponents for the Miami native that also included Sean Gannon "” the only man to defeat the YouTube.com sensation in underground fisticuffs "” and Brett Rogers.

Out of the trio Rogers was far and away the most qualified and would have likely given Slice the stiffest competition. However, that could have been the problem "” Elite XC matchmakers still feel the need to shamelessly build its biggest star.

And what better way then to have him wallop an over-the-hill, past-his-prime UFC veteran on national television.

Shamrock "” a UFC Hall of Fame inductee "” dropped his first and most recent bout under the ProElite banner, losing to Robert "Buzz" Berry via first knockout at Cage Rage 25: "Bring it On" earlier this year.

That, too, was supposed to be a warm-up for the "World's Most Dangerous Man" to groom him for a big money match down the road against either Slice, or his younger brother, Frank.

It seems like it didn't matter "” at least one of those fights (Slice) is going to happen. Although a win against Berry would have made this appear (to the casual fan at least) to be somewhat of a fair fight.

Shamrock has lost eight of his last 10 fights dating back to 2001 and he's on a five-fight losing skid.

The only thing in his favor going into this fight is experience and his submission game. Shamrock has won more than 80 percent of his fights via submission, which poses somewhat of a threat provided he can get close enough to Slice to take him down.

Don't count on it. But then again stranger things have happened ... kind of like this match up in the first place.
Discuss!!! Shamrock in the second by some sort of mistake by Kimbo and Ken turning it into a submission.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads