• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Here's how I get my 55 hours a week in.

They hire me for a 45 hour/week job.

I spend 2 hours on the forum each of the 5 work days.

I end at 55 hours.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres what our early retired accountant does. He retired to South Carolina and works for 1 month of the year during the tax season with an established clientelle and probably makes more money than most average people in that time period. It doesn't make him rich but enough to live comfortably when combined with a pension.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Not all the time. About half the stuff I enjoy, the other half I don't. During the day, I usually work on my sections of the audit, and at night, I review my staffs' work. It's easier for me to review their work when people aren't asking me questions, sending me emails, or calling me.

2. The pay is enough right now to make a decent living if I lived by myself. Since I live at home with my parents, the pay is really good. There are a few senior associates in my office that own a house and live by themselves. This is easy to do in Houston since housing is cheap.

3. As you progress and get promoted, the hours don't really reduce. As Taxler said above, the hours start to blur on what's work and what's not. I've been working for 2 years and was recently promoted to senior. The past few months I've been working as a senior which is why I've been working so much. Most people will tell you that being a senior is the hardest job which is why most people quit at that level.

Most people when they quit become GL accountants which is pretty easy but boring. They typically make from $50-70k in Houston depending where you go and the experience you bring. Others go to internal audit which pays better then GL accountants and offers better opportunities for advancement.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is GL? Thanks for the other info btw!

Edit, found it. Is General Ledger your basic private accountant?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
If college had been like that for me, I could see where having to work might have been a shock. Luckily I was seasoned by years of having to pay my own way.

+1!

Originally Posted by dusty
I don't know what it's like in the accounting world, but still, what the hell is going on in this thread? You can't be successful without working more than 50 hours a week? I guess if you don't consider yourself a success until you are driving a Benz, then yeah. But what about those people whose idea of success is maximizing the amount of time they get to spend with their families while still providing a decent living for them?

But dusty, didn't you know? It takes $500k a year just to get comfortable!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

50 hr/wk for entry level positions is like vacation for many of the high potential career paths. If earning big bucks aren't your top priority, you should consider getting a job at DMV, USPS or local city/county government. 40 hr/wk jobs plus overtimes!

I still remember my first job in the financial industry... 60 hr/wk when not busy (lol...) and 80-100 hr/wks are the norm.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I hope to someday work 300 hours a week.

Time machine?
laugh.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'll go against the grain here and brag about how few hours I have to work a week, 36.25 hours (plus lunches). I probably end up working about 38-39 plus lunches and obviously more during the rare week that I travel.

Pretty good gig, pays well enough and as much as I hate to use the term, my work/life balance is excellent. I'm sure as I get more responsibility I'll have to work more, but I highly doubt I'll ever need to go over 50 plus lunches.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Well I'll go against the grain here and brag about how few hours I have to work a week, 36.25 hours (plus lunches). I probably end up working about 38-39 plus lunches and obviously more during the rare week that I travel. Pretty good gig, pays well enough and as much as I hate to use the term, my work/life balance is excellent. I'm sure as I get more responsibility I'll have to work more, but I highly doubt I'll ever need to go over 50 plus lunches.
It goes without saying, but what do you do? Please and thank you
smile.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Well I'll go against the grain here and brag about how few hours I have to work a week, 36.25 hours (plus lunches). I probably end up working about 38-39 plus lunches and obviously more during the rare week that I travel.

Pretty good gig, pays well enough and as much as I hate to use the term, my work/life balance is excellent. I'm sure as I get more responsibility I'll have to work more, but I highly doubt I'll ever need to go over 50 plus lunches.

Good for you. (I mean that seriously, for once I'm not being snide.)

I have to say, anyone who works 60-80 hour weeks all the time and has more than, say, 100 posts or so on Styleforum either: 1) isn't actually working 60+ hours a week, or 2) really needs to rethink what he does with his down time! If I was consistently working 60+ hour weeks, I would definitely not be spending my free time on internet message boards.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
It goes without saying, but what do you do? Please and thank you
smile.gif

Consultant with the Government. That last part explains it all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads