• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
seriously did you go through all that college just to realize you don't wanna be an accountant?

No, visiting the CPA firm made me not want to be an accountant
tounge.gif
. I need to intern somewhere before I totally write it off.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
Thats sums it up right there, if you actually want to get somewhere with your life then you will work your tail off, if you dont and you want a bunch of free time then go work at McDonalds and live pay check to pay check.

You don't suppose there's a middle ground? Making comfortable money, with comfortable hours?

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
**** that ignorant B.S.

Unions: The Folks That Brought You The Weekend.

War Unions!!

Ah yes - the union. Protecting the meek and uneducated since its inception.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
In for the list of interesting and rewarding jobs
worship.gif

I enjoy clothes, watches, and furniture..cars and big houses hold no interest for me. I think my 3 vices can be obtained on less than a CEO's salary.

Who knows though, I may end up liking the CPA work, stranger things have happened.

lol - on a forum where members consistently post about $2k shoes, $5k suits, and $10k watches - I'd say you'd need MORE than an average CEO's salary.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only person I know with zero complaints about their job is a fly fishing guide in Montana. He makes enough to get by, but goddamn the work is good. This guy actually changed my very successful CEO father's conception of work and earning, which is incredible to me. Floating the Stillwater a few days a week or putting in tons of hours in an office making someone else a fortune?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Accounting (and even audit) can be highly conceptual and very interesting. You do need the mindset for it though.

lifersfc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
You don't suppose there's a middle ground? Making comfortable money, with comfortable hours?
Seems like most of these positions become available after you put in your 5-10 years... Also, I'm pretty sure the definitions of comfortable money probably vary pretty widely on this forum. For some it might be $50k, for others it is probably $500k.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who works in a large CPA firm in the audit department and regularly works more than 50 hours a week, it's pretty simple. Right now I usually work from 9-6 with a real quick lunch. Then work a few hours from home usually 9-12 or 10-12 at night. Adds up pretty quickly. That gives me enough time to eat dinner, workout, and relax.

The work isn't interesting until you make senior. Once you make senior usually in 2-3 years, the grunt work grind decreases dramatically. You just assign that stuff to your staff and worry about the larger issues which is more interesting but 10x more stressful.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Accounting (and even audit) can be highly conceptual and very interesting. You do need the mindset for it though.

Thanks Joel. Can you describe the mindset of someone who might enjoy accounting? I've heard the "you must like numbers" line enough, which is like saying "you must like the color blue" as if that somehow qualifies you to work in a sweatshop making blue t-shirts all day, LOL.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
As someone who works in a large CPA firm in the audit department and regularly works more than 50 hours a week, it's pretty simple. Right now I usually work from 9-6 with a real quick lunch. Then work a few hours from home usually 9-12 or 10-12 at night. Adds up pretty quickly. That gives me enough time to eat dinner, workout, and relax.

The work isn't interesting until you make senior. Once you make senior usually in 2-3 years, the grunt work grind decreases dramatically. You just assign that stuff to your staff and worry about the larger issues which is more interesting but 10x more stressful.

Thanks!

1)Do you enjoy the work you're doing, apparently 'til midnight?

2)How's the pay?

3) Once you make senior, do the hours reduce? What position are you in, and how long have you been in the field?

It's nice to get some real input. Also, say you got burnt out one day, are there positions available that you could work fewer hours, but still make enough $ to live on?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing the math at ~56 hours a week, I guess that still gives you 1/3 of your time as "free time." 8 hours a day for work (that's 7 days a week, of course it's distributed unevenly) and 8 hours a day for sleep, you've still got 8 hours left a day. I guess it could be worse?

Taxler

Reaction score
It doesn't apply to an accountant or assebly line worker, but at some point in your progess up the ladder, the distinction between what's work and not begins to blur. I say I work 60-70 hours per week, but that includes long business lunches, a few hours on the golf course with clients, business trips combined with vacation, etc. For me, the key to professional success has been not counting hours and not trying to isolate work from the rest of my life. Even when I'm not at the office, I spend time with friends and associates discussing the same topics.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it's like in the accounting world, but still, what the hell is going on in this thread? You can't be successful without working more than 50 hours a week? I guess if you don't consider yourself a success until you are driving a Benz, then yeah. But what about those people whose idea of success is maximizing the amount of time they get to spend with their families while still providing a decent living for them? "Only it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience. And in almost every case, we use up our lives making money, when we should be using our money to gain time." - Camus

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
It doesn't apply to an accountant or assebly line worker, but at some point in your progess up the ladder, the distinction between what's work and not begins to blur. I say I work 60-70 hours per week, but that includes long business lunches, a few hours on the golf course with clients, business trips combined with vacation, etc. For me, the key to professional success has been not counting hours and not trying to isolate work from the rest of my life. Even when I'm not at the office, I spend time with friends and associates discussing the same topics.

And what do you do for a living?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads