• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excuse me, do you work here?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While out today taking care of a few errands i ran over to Lord and Taylors to pick up a tie clip (which they didnt have) and one person stopped me and asked me if i worked there.

Not a big deal i thought, most of the staff are friends of mine and are usually pretty sharp looking.

But then later today i found myself at staples printing some business cards, and someone again came up to me and asked if i worked there.

this time i was a little taken back, i'm surprised someone would think i work at staples while in a suit, is this a common for you guys? the staff there wears a red vest with a name tag.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happens to me sometimes as well. Do people at Office Depot wear dress shirts and Edward Green shoes?
eh.gif
I don't think so. However most of the time this happens to me it's usually a grandma pushing 90.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happened to me before - when I wore a red t-shirt to Target.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Century21 last Thursday cause I needed some shoe trees.

I had just come from the hospital so I was wearing a shirt and tie. No jacket. Sorry.

I was looking through the goods when some lady comes up to me and asks where the sneakers are so I gesture to the shoe area and tell her "Somewhere over there I'd guess."

She goes, "Oh I'm sorry. You don't work here? I thought you did because you're all dressed up."

Hahaha, I was just wearing a tie. I guess that means I'm all dressed up?!

First time that's ever happened to me.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this happens to me sometimes. i try to have fun with it though. i sometimes go through helping them halfway until it actually requires me to go backroom to get something, then i tell them,

"well, hold on, let me get somebody who works here to get that for you"

one time it was an old sweet granny who had no idea. i helped her all the way to the end and even walked out to her car for her.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
While out today taking care of a few errands i ran over to Lord and Taylors to pick up a tie clip (which they didnt have) and one person stopped me and asked me if i worked there.

Not a big deal i thought, most of the staff are friends of mine and are usually pretty sharp looking.

But then later today i found myself at staples printing some business cards, and someone again came up to me and asked if i worked there.

this time i was a little taken back, i'm surprised someone would think i work at staples while in a suit, is this a common for you guys? the staff there wears a red vest with a name tag.

Pet Peeve alert. It is Lord and Taylor, not Lord and Taylors.

It used to drive me crazy when I worked there and people added the s. I guess it still does a little bit.
smile.gif

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

If you are near the store on 5th ave. head over to JPress on Madison. They had a couple of different tie clips in stock and on sale.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's happened to me in weird places, too...

It's usually when I go somewhere after work in business casual.

I agree with a poster above...usually if you're not dressed like you just rolled out of bed people will attach a title and some 'respect' to you. Gives some credence to that whole "book/cover" argument.

unaware

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

Probably thought you were the store manager? Although the store managers usually dress exactly like the other employees....

Happens to me quite often and at all kinds of places.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It happens to me quite a bit too...especially when tie shopping, as I have a bad(?) habit of straightening the ties when I'm done.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
Pet Peeve alert. It is Lord and Taylor, not Lord and Taylors.

It used to drive me crazy when I worked there and people added the s. I guess it still does a little bit.
smile.gif

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

If you are near the store on 5th ave. head over to JPress on Madison. They had a couple of different tie clips in stock and on sale.

Ha, you beat me to the correction -- I used to work for them too, back in the glory days.

smithsj

Reaction score
Happens way more than I'd like. For some reason it's always when I'm wearing a t shirt and jeans though :-/

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Used to happen to me a lot when I was younger and would go into a retail store while still wearing my suit from work. Doesn't happen much now that I'm older, apparently I just look like a businessman now.

I think it's just that most people aren't used to seeing anyone young in a suit and tie these days, so they assume you must be working at the store.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elliebelle