• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The vintage flight jacket thread

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been meaning to get a Buzz Rickson for awhile, but I want to hold off until I see Nom de Guerre's MA1 version this next season.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I've been meaning to get a Buzz Rickson for awhile, but I want to hold off until I see Nom de Guerre's MA1 version this next season.

Isn't the NdG MA1 a rebranded buzz rickson at 2-3 times the price?

I say get the buzz.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I'm a big fan of the A-1, too. The Fedora Lounge guys are really like the Good Wear jackets. Here's their A-1.

I'm sure that goodwear makes an increadible jacket, but their jackets don't appeal to me. They seem to exaggerate the old man-ish ness of classic flight jackets. Of course, flight jackets are not modern or anything, but they were design for young, trim soldiers and could look great on the young if the cut is trim. The Goodwear jackets seem on the other hand to be looser and go better with what a typical middle aged man would wear.

The A-1 I posted on the other hand seems pretty classic and modern at the same time. It seems like it can be worn by a 21 year old and a 41 year old without looking out of place.

I have not seen enough about Goodwear to have a firm position but that is the general impression I get. Of course, the things that turn me off could be the what the federa guys think are great.

I would still like to see more on Goodwear to see what the fuzz is about though.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Isn't the NdG MA1 a rebranded buzz rickson at 2-3 times the price? I say get the buzz.
That's why I'm waiting to see, because I'm not sure if they're doing the rebranding/collab thing again this season like they did last year. FWIW, it looks fairly slim in their lookbook, something which the usual flight jacket is not. I agree that those Good Wear jackets seem questionable.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Still dig my vintage Avirex A-2
avirexgoatskina2tr9.jpg
95797340fd7.jpg
30129671nl1.jpg
p1020150ku2.jpg
p1020156xp9.jpg
It's a little tight at the shoulders but otherwise fits really trim. And I lucked into a long size so it doesn't ride up completely above my belt.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Nice jacket, j. Most people who get those jackets get them far too loose and their huge tummies stick out. Your jacket looks like it fits like it is supposed to. So is that a very old jacket or a repro? If it is a repro, what is the exact model/website for it?

Also, isn't it an a-2, not a g-2?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're right, it's an A-2. Edited. It was a "vintage" jacket found at a vintage store but probably not "very old", I'm guessing 70s-80s but could even be newer. Avirex goatskin. Tags are just like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-AVIREX-Goats...06241323r25899 The contract number says 1978 but as in the auction, I can't be sure of the actual manufacture date. If you look up "goatskin a-2" you'll find a few options, but I don't have any experience with the various current manufacturers.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My chest measures around 39 and I usually wear a 38 or 40 depending on the shoulders, and this is a 38L. So, I didn't really size down but picked the smaller of my usual two, and the shoulders are snug, which is fine for this kind of jacket.

On some of the sites you will see it noted when a jacket has a "normal fit" (or something) vs. a "military fit" - you want military fit, that means it fits and isn't sized to look like the dad from Growing Pains.

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I'm sure that goodwear makes an increadible jacket, but their jackets don't appeal to me. They seem to exaggerate the old man-ish ness of classic flight jackets. Of course, flight jackets are not modern or anything, but they were design for young, trim soldiers and could look great on the young if the cut is trim. The Goodwear jackets seem on the other hand to be looser and go better with what a typical middle aged man would wear.

The A-1 I posted on the other hand seems pretty classic and modern at the same time. It seems like it can be worn by a 21 year old and a 41 year old without looking out of place.

I have not seen enough about Goodwear to have a firm position but that is the general impression I get. Of course, the things that turn me off could be the what the federa guys think are great.

I would still like to see more on Goodwear to see what the fuzz is about though.

Actually, you have it backwards - Goodwear make the most accurate to original pattern A-2's out there. No allowances for the modern physique. So a Goodwear A-2 in a 42 will measure out like a WW2 42. Eastman makes the baggiest of the current manufacturers (though they are tuning their patterns back towards WW2 aesthetic). John (the owner/only maker) will cut your jacket to your specs however by doing a few things, such as making the body longer or shorter as you request. He's willing to have a very long detailed conversation about the fit before you even decide to get one.

I can understand the reluctance to follow the advice of a bunch of Fedora Lounge dudes, whose look is not what you are going for. But Goodwear really is the bees knees when it comes to the A-2. He also makes an A-1.

-Jake

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Filson Aviator A-2 style jacket yesterday. It is a very nice jacket and is well made. I like the color and the distressed look of the leather. I can't wait to wear it, for now all I get to do is roll it and treat the leather so it'll take the elements better.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jake431
Goodwear make the most accurate to original pattern A-2's out there.

I wonder if Goodwear is more flexible than that, in the sense that they will cut to the customer?

I looked over the Goodwear A2 jackets and decided I liked the Bronco's square shoulders, but then I ran across this comparison- it sure looks like the new jacket is cut broader in the middle then the original. Perhaps that is a result of the model changing over the years, though.
b_comparison_side.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads