• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The vintage flight jacket thread

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I wonder if Goodwear is more flexible than that, in the sense that they will cut to the customer?

I looked over the Goodwear A2 jackets and decided I liked the Bronco's square shoulders, but then I ran across this comparison- it sure looks like the new jacket is cut broader in the middle then the original. Perhaps that is a result of the model changing over the years, though.
b_comparison_side.jpg

They won't cut to the customer, but will match say, a size 44 body with size 46 arms, and they will make adjustments to body length, I think.

As for what it looks like, I can't say, but I know that the jackets measured the same (John used the original for the patterns)

-Jake

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jake431
Actually, you have it backwards - Goodwear make the most accurate to original pattern A-2's out there. No allowances for the modern physique. So a Goodwear A-2 in a 42 will measure out like a WW2 42. Eastman makes the baggiest of the current manufacturers (though they are tuning their patterns back towards WW2 aesthetic). John (the owner/only maker) will cut your jacket to your specs however by doing a few things, such as making the body longer or shorter as you request. He's willing to have a very long detailed conversation about the fit before you even decide to get one.

I can understand the reluctance to follow the advice of a bunch of Fedora Lounge dudes, whose look is not what you are going for. But Goodwear really is the bees knees when it comes to the A-2. He also makes an A-1.

-Jake

Everything you say can be true and that wouldn't change the fact that most, if not every, picture of Goodwear jackets show a loose fit. While it might be true that Eastman makes a baggy jacket, when you size down, they are VERY trim and flatering. In a way Eastman is like the APC of repros when it comes to sizing.

Look at the goodwear jackets in this thread and compare them to this eastman.

Also, when you look at the details of the Goodwear jackets, they seem to cater to the federa lounge crowd who want a jacket with "character" even if they have to boil the jacket in hot water and take 5 years off it's lifespan. I am not attracted to this. Exagerated wear and creases seem pretentious to me. I'm not old enough to have been in WWII obviously so wearing a jacket that looks like it does not attract me.

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Everything you say can be true and that wouldn't change the fact that most, if not every, picture of Goodwear jackets show a loose fit. While it might be true that Eastman makes a baggy jacket, when you size down, they are VERY trim and flatering. In a way Eastman is like the APC of repros when it comes to sizing.

Look at the goodwear jackets in this thread and compare them to this eastman.

Also, when you look at the details of the Goodwear jackets, they seem to cater to the federa lounge crowd who want a jacket with "character" even if they have to boil the jacket in hot water and take 5 years off it's lifespan. I am not attracted to this. Exagerated wear and creases seem pretentious to me. I'm not old enough to have been in WWII obviously so wearing a jacket that looks like it does not attract me.

Fair enough. I'm just trying to save you some money, but it sounds like your mind is made up, you want an ELC. I've owned most of the jacket makers jackets in my time - an eastman Star a-2, an RMNZ Dubow A-2, an Aero Real Deal A-2, an Aero 1940 contract A-2 and tried on several Goodwear A-2's. You can size down on an ELC but it will be too short in the body, and possibly the arms. If you don't really want one that doesn't have authentic leather, but something that is smooth and modern, AND you are willing to size down, you'd be well suited by a Gibson and Barnes jacket. They're cheaper than ELC, and you'd get your jacket a lot sooner than if you had one made by ELC.

I still think you have it backwards about Goodwear - the whole point of the company is that you shouldn't have to use hot water, sand your jacket etc, to get it to look the way a new jacket did in WW2. Goodwear owners have had to use the "hot water treatment" and sand down the finish on other manufacturers jackets. The A-2 market is starting to change these days, what with Eastman introducing "Warhorse" - which has many of the traits you don't want - grain, irregular patterns of wear and smooth etc. So if you do go with ELC, make sure you don't order a jacket made out of their warhorse.

Ironically, after trying to get an A-2 that fit me right by ordering all those jackets I mentioned above, I eventually decided that the A-2 isn't for me. I still own an RMNZ M-422a and a RMJ Stagg B-10. I've also had a few Buzz Rickson nylon jackets, but the body length just never cut it for me.

-Jake

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proper_A2_Fit.jpg

Everything you say can be true and that wouldn't change the fact that most, if not every, picture of Goodwear jackets show a loose fit.

I found this fit photo in Goodwear's photo section. It looks like the original fit was kind of loose.

Having written that, I find that I do not understand what you (or I) mean by loose or tight fit for these jackets. J's looks marginally tighter than these guys, but he said that the shoulders are a bit narrow for him.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm just trying to save you some money, but it sounds like your mind is made up, you want an ELC. I've owned most of the jacket makers jackets in my time - an eastman Star a-2, an RMNZ Dubow A-2, an Aero Real Deal A-2, an Aero 1940 contract A-2 and tried on several Goodwear A-2's. You can size down on an ELC but it will be too short in the body, and possibly the arms. If you don't really want one that doesn't have authentic leather, but something that is smooth and modern, AND you are willing to size down, you'd be well suited by a Gibson and Barnes jacket. They're cheaper than ELC, and you'd get your jacket a lot sooner than if you had one made by ELC.

I still think you have it backwards about Goodwear - the whole point of the company is that you shouldn't have to use hot water, sand your jacket etc, to get it to look the way a new jacket did in WW2. Goodwear owners have had to use the "hot water treatment" and sand down the finish on other manufacturers jackets. The A-2 market is starting to change these days, what with Eastman introducing "Warhorse" - which has many of the traits you don't want - grain, irregular patterns of wear and smooth etc. So if you do go with ELC, make sure you don't order a jacket made out of their warhorse.

Ironically, after trying to get an A-2 that fit me right by ordering all those jackets I mentioned above, I eventually decided that the A-2 isn't for me. I still own an RMNZ M-422a and a RMJ Stagg B-10. I've also had a few Buzz Rickson nylon jackets, but the body length just never cut it for me.

-Jake

I don't think you quite understand yet. I actually love the warhorse leather. It isn't that I want an A-2 with perfectly smooth designer style leather, it's just that I don't need it to look like it came straight out of WWII. I want to wear the jacket down myself naturally the same way that we wear raw denim. It's not that I want the leather to look like it came from ralph lauren, it's just that I don't want it to be pre-distressed or exaggerated.

I would love to see some pics of your jackets. If you sold them, I would like to know how easy it was and what the resale value is like. Also, what's your height and how short exactly are the jackets. It would be helpful to a lot of us trying to decide which jacket to go for.

Jake431

Reaction score
I don't think you quite understand yet. I actually love the warhorse leather. It isn't that I want an A-2 with perfectly smooth designer style leather, it's just that I don't need it to look like it came straight out of WWII. I want to wear the jacket down myself naturally the same way that we wear raw denim. It's not that I want the leather to look like it came from ralph lauren, it's just that I don't want it to be pre-distressed or exaggerated. I would love to see some pics of your jackets. If you sold them, I would like to know how easy it was and what the resale value is like. Also, what's your height and how short exactly are the jackets. It would be helpful to a lot of us trying to decide which jacket to go for.
I gotcha. Not to sound like a broken record, but Goodwear jackets aren't pre-worn. From what I have gleaned from various collectors and conversations, the leather jackets in the 40's looked much grainer when new than leather jackets, even horsehide, today. Much of this is due to differences in animals sourced; in the 1930's and 1940's, horses were still working animals, and their hides bore evidence of a physical, toiling life, less consistent diet, and then the hides were tanned differently than now. So, think of it like this - a Goodwear is more like a NOS pair of 501's from the 40's. Other companies are more like an LVC. I'm 5'11", which isn't that tall, but all of my height is in my torso; I wear a 30 inseam. That's why many A-2's are too short for me. I haven't found one long enough yet. I don't tuck shirts in so a jacket has to be long enough to cover most of the t-shirt. So, here are a few jackets (not the best pictures): Aero, 1940 contract:
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg
Here's one (another Aero) that fit better but was too short:
IMG_0619.jpg
Here's a RMNZ Dubow A-2, my apologies for the blond hair, it was taken a while ago (the jacket was too short):
JakesDubowbefore.jpg
This is someone else's Aero. I wish it was mine:
Chicago20051.jpg
Resale value sucks. If you are worried about that, I would recommend buying a lightly used on eBay, or working with a company who has a generous return policy. Aero's return policy is the most generous that I've found. I can't find any of my other jacket photos - for the star for instance, but if I do, I will post them Hope that helps somewhat, -Jake

calbee

Reaction score
I'd love one of the painted WWII jackets, but I'd be terrified to wear it...

Jake431

Reaction score

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much Hermes's bomber/flight jackets sell for?

CRAZYBUBBA

Reaction score
For a thread on vintage flight jackets this seems to be veering towards repros.

I have an original M-422 myself. There appear to be VERY, VERY few out there and even fewer for sale.

I like McCoy's repros and some Avirexes that I've seen in person especially with special patches or linings. IMO, the worst is probably lost worlds,

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Does anyone know how much Hermes's bomber/flight jackets sell for?

slowtrain17

Reaction score
Get a repro, and have my friend Jerome paint it for you. Here's his work:

http://www.picturetrail.com/jrome

-Jake

hi.im new here,i love the a2 jackets but i dont know a lot about them lik you guys do.i have a cooper a2 and i love it,but its not warm at all.is the aero jacket warm? thank you. stephen

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads