• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Film/Cinema Thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Stayed in tonight and watched Le Corbeau, Clouzot's anti-fascist thriller that, even ignoring the subtext, is a pretty gripping film. And Ginette Leclerc was so beautiful.
inlove.gif

I'm not even sure Clouzot knew about the subtext while he was making the movie, not that it matters as it was all around him. The message is somewhat reminiscent of another film influenced, this time, by WWI (the cabinet of Dr. Caligari-without the added on scenes at the start and end).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
Astor Piazzolla's and Frank Zappa's music set both the rhythm and the tone of the movie.

I've seen Happy Together probably six times, and it never ceases to be revelatory.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
+1. And what better way to talk about your city than to set the story accross the oceans.

I thought the garishness of it enhanced the atmospheric emotions--slightly surreal.

On the other hand, why are most modern horror films so awful and predictable?

With all that "technology & talent" they still can't exceed something like the original Nosferatu.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently watched The Master (dir. Lu Chin Ku), Heroes of the East (dir. Lau Kar-leung), and Drunken Master (dir. Yuen Woo-ping). Saw The Master when I was young, and the knife-throwing villain made quite an impression on me; his costume looked like a skeleton to me. Although this movie starred Chen Kuan-Tai, Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung's fellow opera brother, it just wasn't that great. Heroes of the East, on the other hand, was incredible. One of the best martial-arts films I've ever seen. Watched Drunken Master for the second time this year. My brother had never seen it before. Mark Pollard of Kung Fu Cinema called it the best martial-arts movie of all time. I don't know whether I agree, but it is definitely in the discussion.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Johnnie To's latest, Sparrow. An indescribably beautiful love letter to Hong Kong and cinema, it is perfect. I can't imagine cinema getting any better than this.

Reaction score
I saw the Seventh Continent and it was perfect. There is nothing I can say that would not be a spoiler; I was off-put by the killing of an aquarium full of fish, but it was an indispensable image, I grudgingly admit. I guess 1989 CGI would not have been able to hack it, and puppet fish are unconvincing always. Fish gasping on carpet just gets to me. And birds flying into window panes (though that wasn't in the movie, I'm just sayin'....)

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
Just got back from Johnnie To's latest, Sparrow. An indescribably beautiful love letter to Hong Kong and cinema, it is perfect. I can't imagine cinema getting any better than this.

Does this increase your esteem of Johnnie To at all?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is not the place for this but I just saw the HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" and what an incredible story. It is fascinating to see everyone involved in the trial speak freely about what happened around this trial, and to fully understand the vast gap that exists between the facts and the stories the press like to manufacture to sell papers. That Judge Rittenband was a piece of work. I was already a big fan of Polanski's work beforehand, but I must say I was very impressed with how dignified his behaviour was during this sham of a trial

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
Does this increase your esteem of Johnnie To at all?
eh, I don't like thinking about context and all that, not of a director's back catalog, or anticipating any future works or anything. I just watch a movie as it is as a single piece of work. (I guess that answers the Le Cercle Rouge question) with regards to your question, I'll just say that after watching Sparrow, there is no need for me to even try giving a shot at film making, because the one movie I would/could ever want to make has just been done. I will say though, even at a running time of 87 minutes, I can see why it took To 4 years to make this film, something I did not get so much with Stephen Chow's CJ7, another painstakingly made film. This one was a true labor of love.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I know this is not the place for this but I just saw the HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" and what an incredible story. It is fascinating to see everyone involved in the trial speak freely about what happened around this trial, and to fully understand the vast gap that exists between the facts and the stories the press like to manufacture to sell papers. That Judge Rittenband was a piece of work. I was already a big fan of Polanski's work beforehand, but I must say I was very impressed with how dignified his behaviour was during this sham of a trial
Yeah, that was good doc! I knew about that whole **** fiasco, but it was something different to have all the details/pics etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Yeah, that was good doc! I knew about that whole **** fiasco, but it was something different to have all the details/pics etc.
And especially to have everyone involved in the trial (except for Roman himself and the dead judge) talk so openly about what happened in the judge's chambers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics