SF Film/Cinema Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Manny Calavera, May 28, 2007.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I'm mostly watching 70s Italian cop films (Fernando Di Leo) and Japanese 60s noirs (Teruo Ishii).

Two terrific movies:

-Milano Calibro 9
    -Black line

2. Fuuma

Stayed in tonight and watched Le Corbeau, Clouzot's anti-fascist thriller that, even ignoring the subtext, is a pretty gripping film. And Ginette Leclerc was so beautiful.[​IMG]

I'm not even sure Clouzot knew about the subtext while he was making the movie, not that it matters as it was all around him. The message is somewhat reminiscent of another film influenced, this time, by WWI (the cabinet of Dr. Caligari-without the added on scenes at the start and end).

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Astor Piazzolla's and Frank Zappa's music set both the rhythm and the tone of the movie.

I've seen Happy Together probably six times, and it never ceases to be revelatory.

+1. And what better way to talk about your city than to set the story accross the oceans.

I thought the garishness of it enhanced the atmospheric emotions--slightly surreal.

On the other hand, why are most modern horror films so awful and predictable?

With all that "technology & talent" they still can't exceed something like the original Nosferatu.

4. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

-Milano Calibro 9

What an intro. I also enjoyed Di Leo's equally schmaltzy Hired to Kill.

5. landho

landho Senior member

Recently watched The Master (dir. Lu Chin Ku), Heroes of the East (dir. Lau Kar-leung), and Drunken Master (dir. Yuen Woo-ping). Saw The Master when I was young, and the knife-throwing villain made quite an impression on me; his costume looked like a skeleton to me. Although this movie starred Chen Kuan-Tai, Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung's fellow opera brother, it just wasn't that great. Heroes of the East, on the other hand, was incredible. One of the best martial-arts films I've ever seen. Watched Drunken Master for the second time this year. My brother had never seen it before. Mark Pollard of Kung Fu Cinema called it the best martial-arts movie of all time. I don't know whether I agree, but it is definitely in the discussion.

6. Fuuma

What an intro. I also enjoyed Di Leo's equally schmaltzy Hired to Kill.

Never saw this one, I've watched La mala ordina and Il boss and my next viewing is diamanti sporchi di sangue.

7. MGondry

MGondry Active Member

Reprise.

Absolutely beautiful - even though it drags a bit in the end.

8. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

Just got back from Johnnie To's latest, Sparrow. An indescribably beautiful love letter to Hong Kong and cinema, it is perfect. I can't imagine cinema getting any better than this.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I saw the Seventh Continent and it was perfect. There is nothing I can say that would not be a spoiler; I was off-put by the killing of an aquarium full of fish, but it was an indispensable image, I grudgingly admit. I guess 1989 CGI would not have been able to hack it, and puppet fish are unconvincing always. Fish gasping on carpet just gets to me. And birds flying into window panes (though that wasn't in the movie, I'm just sayin'....)

10. juicemakesugar

juicemakesugar Senior member

FTB, do you think To will do Le Cercle Rouge justice?

11. landho

landho Senior member

Just got back from Johnnie To's latest, Sparrow. An indescribably beautiful love letter to Hong Kong and cinema, it is perfect. I can't imagine cinema getting any better than this.

Does this increase your esteem of Johnnie To at all?

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I know this is not the place for this but I just saw the HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" and what an incredible story. It is fascinating to see everyone involved in the trial speak freely about what happened around this trial, and to fully understand the vast gap that exists between the facts and the stories the press like to manufacture to sell papers. That Judge Rittenband was a piece of work. I was already a big fan of Polanski's work beforehand, but I must say I was very impressed with how dignified his behaviour was during this sham of a trial

13. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

Does this increase your esteem of Johnnie To at all?
    eh, I don't like thinking about context and all that, not of a director's back catalog, or anticipating any future works or anything. I just watch a movie as it is as a single piece of work. (I guess that answers the Le Cercle Rouge question) with regards to your question, I'll just say that after watching Sparrow, there is no need for me to even try giving a shot at film making, because the one movie I would/could ever want to make has just been done. I will say though, even at a running time of 87 minutes, I can see why it took To 4 years to make this film, something I did not get so much with Stephen Chow's CJ7, another painstakingly made film. This one was a true labor of love.

14. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I know this is not the place for this but I just saw the HBO documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" and what an incredible story. It is fascinating to see everyone involved in the trial speak freely about what happened around this trial, and to fully understand the vast gap that exists between the facts and the stories the press like to manufacture to sell papers. That Judge Rittenband was a piece of work. I was already a big fan of Polanski's work beforehand, but I must say I was very impressed with how dignified his behaviour was during this sham of a trial
    Yeah, that was good doc! I knew about that whole rape fiasco, but it was something different to have all the details/pics etc.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, that was good doc! I knew about that whole rape fiasco, but it was something different to have all the details/pics etc.
    And especially to have everyone involved in the trial (except for Roman himself and the dead judge) talk so openly about what happened in the judge's chambers.