• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Will, I'm a bit surprised! I love brown shoes, but sometimes I think black doesn't get enough love around here. Variety is the spice of life ...

Hmmm, in the black suede thread you wrote that you only wear black at night.

I was taught to take one side of an argument or the other but not both.
boxing[1].gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will

boxing[1].gif

Ever observant, Will. I knew someone would call me on that. I fully admit to having the SF mindset toward black shoes, but lately I've been thinking it a shame. Seems crazy to limit myself so, particularly when black shoes can be so useful.

In general, I've found, I have to work hard to simplify, but when I do, I'm usually pleased with the results.

offline100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hugomano
Seems odd to have brown shoes and gray suit, even if it is a light shade. I just don't get how you match a color that, if darkened, hits black. Brown, however is in the yellow to reddish range.

Also, it looks weird to see gray and brown....it really bothers me. But black shoes and a gray suit with black buttons, nice contrast within the same color family....like Sean Connery in his bond days.

Brown shoes maybe can go with a medium blue suit, but even there, I like black shoes with a blue suit....just seems blue and brown are in different color families.

Anyone agree?

Flame.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only color that really calls out for black shoes in my opinion is a very dark charcoal (of course, a black suit would call out for black shoes as well, but we won't get into that). Any other shade of gray and brown shoes are fine. Navy really calls out for brown shoes.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So if you have a dark navy blue suit....that really is close to black, instead of black shoes, you wear brown shoes??

That means you also wear a brown belt too! On a dark blue suit? I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense.

Think about it.....dark gray or navy suit with brown belt?

Of course! That color combination has been a staple of the clotheshorse for a very long time. If you don't like it, that's fine -- one should not wear what one is not comfortable wearing -- but a majority of us around here think this is very smart, even natural.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will

boxing[1].gif

Calling people to the mat quite a bit lately, Will! Before this thread takes that turn, I'll chime in as being one who wears black semi-casual shoes (heavily grained bluchers, grained split-toe bluchers [beloved Florsheim Kenmoors]).

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if you have a dark navy blue suit....that really is close to black, instead of black shoes, you wear brown shoes??

Precisely.

That means you also wear a brown belt too!

Precisely.

On a dark blue suit?

Precisely.

I can't imagine how that looks better than black shoes or makes any logical sense.

Too bad for you.

Think about it.....dark gray or navy suit with brown belt?

I don't just think about it, I wear it several times a week.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To my eye, a blue suit and black shoes says Parisian Chauffeur.

If that's the goal, have at it.

lefty

hugomano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
Precisely.

Precisely.

Precisely.

Too bad for you.

I don't just think about it, I wear it several times a week.

Well, best response I got so far. Nuff said. Maybe I will try it......someday.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
To my eye, a blue suit and black shoes says Parisian Chauffeur.

Or American Airlines pilot.

BobbyB444

Reaction score
As part of a uniform, we are required to wear a medium-gray, three-button light wool suit. The gray has two, very thin, maroon and faint blue striping half inch apart intermixed on a gray background.

We are told to wear black shoes, but I think that is a fashion faux-pas. I prefer burgundy (dark maroon) shoes that match both the gray and the maroon striping, along with maroon suspenders or belt.

It does not appear that the black goes well with this gray suit.

Just curious what you folks thought??

Thanks...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BobbyB444
As part of a uniform, we are required to wear a medium-gray, three-button light wool suit. The gray has two, very thin, maroon and faint blue striping half inch apart intermixed on a gray background.

We are told to wear black shoes, but I think that is a fashion faux-pas. I prefer burgundy (dark maroon) shoes that match both the gray and the maroon striping, along with maroon suspenders or belt.

It does not appear that the black goes well with this gray suit.

Just curious what you folks thought??

Thanks...

If you're required to wear black shoes by your employer, it's kind of a moot point, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads