Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hugomano, Jul 15, 2007.

1. il vecchio

il vecchio Senior member

Ignore this. It's a troll

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Anyone agree?

No.

3. knowsnothin

knowsnothin Senior member

No

Same here. No.

4. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's gotten to the point that I only like black shoes with a gray flannel suit that has a black reversed chalk stripe. The rest of the time, I prefer brown during the day. Particularly with blue suits.

5. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

Brown shoes with a gray suit is an excellent combo.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's gotten to the point that I only like black shoes with a gray flannel suit that has a black reversed chalk stripe. The rest of the time, I prefer brown during the day. Particularly with blue suits.

Will, I'm a bit surprised! I love brown shoes, but sometimes I think black doesn't get enough love around here. Variety is the spice of life ...

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will, I'm a bit surprised! I love brown shoes, but sometimes I think black doesn't get enough love around here. Variety is the spice of life ...

I bought two pair of black shoes from the recent EG sale, the first black shoes I've bought since I don't know when.

They were calling to me.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Black shoes have been growing on me lately too. That said, brown shoes are lovely with gray suits.

9. Singular

Singular Senior member

I use brown to just about everything - it goes well with every colour. The only exception is formalwear...

/M

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I love brown shoes, but sometimes I think black doesn't get enough love around here. Variety is the spice of life ...

+1

I don't really like black shoes with a dark navy suit but sometimes black shoes are the much better choice or add some pleasant variety.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I think black shoes don't get much love here as members are aware of the almost infinite variations of brown versus one shade of black. [​IMG]

The patinas, the antiquing possibilities, the richness, the color of a well made brown shoe is unbeatable to me.

Perhaps worse than the color issue is the fact that black shoes are quite common.

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think black shoes don't get much love here as members are aware of the almost infinite variations of brown versus one shade of black. [​IMG]

The patinas, the antiquing possibilities, the richness, the color of a well made brown shoe is unbeatable to me.

Perhaps worse than the color issue is the fact that black shoes are quite common.

Yes, but a well-made black shoe will always outshine its unfortunate glue-job brethren. As with a quality navy suit, the craftsmanship and styling speak volumes. There's a wonderful simplicity to black shoes, and they can be used very effectively to complete a sleek, streamlined look that is, to my mind, the definition of high style. Think classic mid-century cool.

I have no need for a closet filled with black shoes, but a few pairs, well chosen and put to good use, can be unbeatably stylish.

13. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

i wear black shoes a lot - probably more than most people here do.... my black chelseas and black monkstraps get heavy wear and will need a resoling or new topy soon.

14. Brad

Brad Senior member

I think black shoes look great with a dark grey or dark navy suit. That being said, I most often prefer some shade of brown.

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Very true Doc. [​IMG]