• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing Instruments

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the below under rotation: Pen - Black & ivory resin roller-ball (Delta LE Planet Collection)
L1000032.jpg
Pen - Alfa Romeo rosso resin roller-ball (Delta LE Alfa Romeo Trofeo Collection)
L1020963.jpg
Though my desk has a cup full of Lamy pens in various colours. Funny enough no one has dared take a pen from my desk.. Just how I like it..

centalones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I use the Pilot G-2 pen with the Extra Fine Ink Gel and the Pilot G-2 mechanical pencil with the .05 graphite. And when the ink and graphite run out, I buy refills. My pens last forever or until I chew the end enough it won't eject the pen anymore...

plain.gif

+1

Pilot G-2 05 is all I ever use.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I bought a Dunhill Sidecar yesterday.

fullsize2.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centalones
+1

Pilot G-2 05 is all I ever use.

+1000.

It writes smmmoooth.. I don't worry about it being stolen/lost/misplaced.

My good pens, including the likes from Montblanc, Montegrappa, Cartier, Dupont, Omas, instead sits at home gathering dust and being admired once in a while.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My prefered brands are Pelikan (modern and vintage) and pre 1980 Parker (their 75s, 51's and Vacumatics) plus Aurora, Omas and Visconti.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Of the brands listed, I would choose Montblanc - the 149 is a classic with a good nib and filler. I also like Conway Stewarts, but the quality control needs some work.

Still my preferred brands are Pelikan and Aurora. The m800 and Optima are superb luxe pens and tend to perform better than the other brands, in my experience.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
This isn't going to start a "pen Appreciation" thread, is it?
I hope so. I have a Mont Blanc but want to branch beyond it to other luxe brands. This thread has been very helpful thus far.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my two workhorse pens that get use daily. Usually the Namiki Vanishing Point sits in my lab coat pocket for signing documents; this really is the perfect fountain pen for doctors. (It is typically either filled with Noodler's Old Manhattan or Blue-Black.) Usually the Lamy 2000 goes in my bag and accompanies me wherever I go; it is used for charting, marking, and random everythings. (Right now it's filled with Noodler's Red-Black, but I'm not so sure I like it. I just may mix a touch of black in with my bottle to make it a bit less "rusty" and instead a bit deeper and bolder.)
287201331_xwPK9-L.jpg

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
(Right now it's filled with Noodler's Red-Black, but I'm not so sure I like it. I just may mix a touch of black in with my bottle to make it a bit less "rusty" and instead a bit deeper and bolder.)

I had Red-Black in my 2000 for awhile, I loved the shading, which is the only thing that separates it as a color from Havana Brown.

To encourage the pen Appreciation, these are what I carry in my bag for notes, letters, and sketching:

Lamy 2000, now with Noodler's Legal Lapis (which usually makes the nib look like blued steel)
sfpp_2.jpg

Sailor Sapporo, with a mix of Old Manhattan Black and The Violet Vote for a nice dusky purple. I wish this pen was bigger, but unless I'm taking notes in class it's my favorite, and the length is fine when posted. One day I'll get a full sized Professional Gear.
sfpp_3.jpg

Parker 51, aerometric, found in a Montevideo flea market. Sailor Red-Brown in this one, it could probably use for some restoration, I'm pretty sure it's all original and 50 years old.
sfpp_1.jpg

And the most recent addition, found in my grandfather's attic, a very nice, unrestored Sheaffer Triumph, with the pushdown filler. Probably from 1949, most-likely a graduation gift of some kind. Old Manhattan Black is currently fueling this one.
sfpp.jpg

Writing that out I realized how silly some ink names are. At least jeans have ridiculous titles as well.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2456467538_a7720094b1.jpg
My daily use 1940s Wahl Eversharp Skyline in solid 14kt gold.
2455640735_b3fa4fbeb6.jpg
Green: Sheaffer Flat-top Two-tone: Sheaffer Triumph Touchdown Black: Delta Nautilus in sterling silver Gold: Wahl Skyline as above.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Just bought a Mazzuoli pen on ebay, let's see how it turns out.
Update, it's a beauty, big pen, and writes well, a soft and thin line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads