Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Writing Instruments

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Miguel Antonio, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

I use either a Nakaya, reclaimed wood pencils, or a Smythson pencil.

I think, eventually, an urushi Nakaya will be my perfect pen. A big orange cigar. Or black, or red, or who knows.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The urushi Nakayas are nice but I'm not swayed by the cartridge/converter and its inconvenient carrying method. If you add that clip, it ruins the lines; but then how will you use it on a daily basis?

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I think the clip works better with the Piccolo model, which I have, than the Cigar. What I love most about the Nakaya is its understatement, and to me the clip doesn't detract much from that.

The cartridge/converter is a drag, and the custom fitting over the internet hasn't yielded much tangible benefit. But it functions well and the lacquer is very nice.

4. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

nakayas are bespoke pens or only the urushi models? i write with an old french fountain pen i could not make out the name.
    i don't write as well with modern mont blancs though so perhaps i should go somewhere and have the french pen looked at so they can tell me what to get.

also which brand makes a really beautiful maki-e? i've seen some sailor, nakaya, and namikis. any others brands i should be looking at?

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

After years of having a nice gold pen that was a gift from my dad, I now enjoy the simple utility of Uniball or Gel pens. The ink flow is terrific. To me, they are to pens what Levis are to pants. A great performing, inexpensive, all around classic.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

nakayas are bespoke pens or only the urushi models? i write with an old french fountain pen i could not make out the name.
    i don't write as well with modern mont blancs though so perhaps i should go somewhere and have the french pen looked at so they can tell me what to get.

also which brand makes a really beautiful maki-e? i've seen some sailor, nakaya, and namikis. any others brands i should be looking at?

I've also seen nice maki-e pens from Dani-Trio.

Nakaya is more like a MTM program, I think.

7. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

I'm partial to Parker pens.

If I were to bother with a "luxe" pen, it would probobly be S.T. Dupont, mainly due to my affinity for their lighters.

8. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

Just bought a Mazzuoli pen on ebay, let's see how it turns out.

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

The urushi Nakayas are nice but I'm not swayed by the cartridge/converter and its inconvenient carrying method. If you add that clip, it ruins the lines; but then how will you use it on a daily basis?

The cartridge/convertor filler is a big turn-off for me too. I would want them to make me an eyedropper filler.

10. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I use the Pilot G-2 pen with the Extra Fine Ink Gel and the Pilot G-2 mechanical pencil with the .05 graphite. And when the ink and graphite run out, I buy refills. My pens last forever or until I chew the end enough it won't eject the pen anymore...

[​IMG]

11. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I'm currently using a Nakimi/Pilot pen that was really cheap. I'd like to upgrade to something else in the future though.

Try the new retractable ones.[​IMG]

12. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Try the new retractable ones.[​IMG]

You mean the Vanishing Point retractable fountain pen? That's not a new design; it's been around since the '60s. They really are brilliant pens. I have a Vanishing Point and an Emperor -- the bottom and top of Namiki's fountain pen line -- and the Vanishing Point's nib writes every bit as well.

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

My nice pen is a Waterman - it's the one that I put in my pocket and use when I want to impress people. It's black and gold and most people assume it's really expensive.

Otherwise, I just use whatever comes to hand - mostly disposable ballpoints or freebies I've received.

Also - being left handed and writing upside down, I can't use any fountain pens or anything with a nib.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

You mean the Vanishing Point retractable fountain pen? That's not a new design; it's been around since the '60s. They really are brilliant pens. I have a Vanishing Point and an Emperor -- the bottom and top of Namiki's fountain pen line -- and the Vanishing Point's nib writes every bit as well.

I was referring to the 10th anniversary design (Decimo) that just came out, sorry.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My nice pen is a Waterman - it's the one that I put in my pocket and use when I want to impress people. It's black and gold and most people assume it's really expensive.

Otherwise, I just use whatever comes to hand - mostly disposable ballpoints or freebies I've received.

Also - being left handed and writing upside down, I can't use any fountain pens or anything with a nib.

You can have a nib custom ground for a left-hand.