• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you rate yourself?

madison avenue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree. I wouldn't dare try to rate myself out of the fear of embarrassment. That said, I am obviously a 10.

To quote one of our trolls, this post makes me sad.

There was a lot of sarcasim in that post but some people are not smart enough to pick that up. And whats sad is the amount of posts you have. A lot of free time on your hands????

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
To quote one of our trolls, this post makes me sad.

edit: taken back after having read the above post...but still, whatever sarcasm in that post exists, it's not communicated very well. Such is the way of online text...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
How come it doesn't go to 11???

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawyer Dad
Styleforum: where all of the children are above average.
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
\tHow come it doesn't go to 11???
laugh.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Let me just put out a warning for you guys: protect your self esteem, NEVER let a woman see the WAYWT thread. And I'm not talking about the kind of girl who signs up to tell everyone they look good, or something. I'm talking about a girl looking over your shoulder. That's when they'll be honest, and let me say from experience that the truth from what I hear is nothing like the truth alleged in this thread. I agree that having self-esteem, loving yourself, etc. are all valuable psychological traits, but I'd much rather love myself for being honest and rational than for thinking I'm the hottest **** since sliced bread. "I'm pretty okay. I have a little bit of a gut, and a receding hairline, but I'm a nice guy and I have above average facial structure. 8.5-9."

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean? women are juding who? the people posting on the waywt?

Aluan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Styleforum: where all of the children are above average.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

I think it could be reasonable that on a forum where we are concerned with clothing and our overall appearance, we're better looking on average. I can think of two reasons:
1) styleforum makes you more conscious of appearance and makes you able to take steps to look better, and
2) Better-looking people are more likely to want to use clothing to emphasize their good looks.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got nice legs, love handles, broad shoulders, nice hair, average face, and an overall tall slim profile. I give myself a 6, lookswise.

If you toss in character, I think I'm fairly smart and talented, sometimes socially awkward, good sense of humor, slightly spineless, mostly down to earth but with a snobby streak, and a little bit prejudiced. I guess that's a 6, too.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian, please encourage this woman to post commentary on WAYWT.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by Brian SD
Let me just put out a warning for you guys: protect your self esteem, NEVER let a woman see the WAYWT thread.

And I'm not talking about the kind of girl who signs up to tell everyone they look good, or something. I'm talking about a girl looking over your shoulder. That's when they'll be honest, and let me say from experience that the truth from what I hear is nothing like the truth alleged in this thread.

I agree that having self-esteem, loving yourself, etc. are all valuable psychological traits, but I'd much rather love myself for being honest and rational than for thinking I'm the hottest **** since sliced bread.

"I'm pretty okay. I have a little bit of a gut, and a receding hairline, but I'm a nice guy and I have above average facial structure. 8.5-9."

Brian SD

Reaction score
She'd be banned as a troll. Maybe I could get her to post a WAYWT first, so everyone will be torn on whether they'd want her banned or not.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I agree that having self-esteem, loving yourself, etc. are all valuable psychological traits, but I'd much rather love myself for being honest and rational than for thinking I'm the hottest **** since sliced bread.

And there you have it.

It's situational. At my best, when I'm dressed-up and speaking well, I might go 8, tops. If I'm out of my element: 5. Still life, purely looks-based? Forget it.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aluan
I don't think this is unreasonable.

I think it could be reasonable that on a forum where we are concerned with clothing and our overall appearance, we're better looking on average. I can think of two reasons:

1) styleforum makes you more conscious of appearance and makes you able to take steps to look better, and
2) Better-looking people are more likely to want to use clothing to emphasize their good looks.

1) True
2) I don't see why this should be the case. One could argue the "better-looking people" don't need to worry as much about their clothing.

I would add perhaps that most people on SF make more $$ as the result of being in jobs where dressing well is more important. I think there is some evidence that better-looking people tend to get paid better, so in this sense you could argue #2. I know that taller people get paid more...

It's possible that "worse-looking" people are more likely to compensate by dressing well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics