What do you rate yourself?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by West24, Apr 27, 2008.

1. madison avenue

madison avenue Senior member

I agree. I wouldn't dare try to rate myself out of the fear of embarrassment. That said, I am obviously a 10.

To quote one of our trolls, this post makes me sad.

There was a lot of sarcasim in that post but some people are not smart enough to pick that up. And whats sad is the amount of posts you have. A lot of free time on your hands????

2. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

To quote one of our trolls, this post makes me sad.

edit: taken back after having read the above post...but still, whatever sarcasm in that post exists, it's not communicated very well. Such is the way of online text...

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

How come it doesn't go to 11???

4. Asch

Asch Senior member

Styleforum: where all of the children are above average.
    \tHow come it doesn't go to 11???
    [​IMG]

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Let me just put out a warning for you guys: protect your self esteem, NEVER let a woman see the WAYWT thread. And I'm not talking about the kind of girl who signs up to tell everyone they look good, or something. I'm talking about a girl looking over your shoulder. That's when they'll be honest, and let me say from experience that the truth from what I hear is nothing like the truth alleged in this thread. I agree that having self-esteem, loving yourself, etc. are all valuable psychological traits, but I'd much rather love myself for being honest and rational than for thinking I'm the hottest shit since sliced bread. "I'm pretty okay. I have a little bit of a gut, and a receding hairline, but I'm a nice guy and I have above average facial structure. 8.5-9."

6. West24

West24 Senior member

what do you mean? women are juding who? the people posting on the waywt?

7. Aluan

Aluan Well-Known Member

Styleforum: where all of the children are above average.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

I think it could be reasonable that on a forum where we are concerned with clothing and our overall appearance, we're better looking on average. I can think of two reasons:
    1) styleforum makes you more conscious of appearance and makes you able to take steps to look better, and
    2) Better-looking people are more likely to want to use clothing to emphasize their good looks.

8. Asch

Asch Senior member

Good points Aluan.

9. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I've got nice legs, love handles, broad shoulders, nice hair, average face, and an overall tall slim profile. I give myself a 6, lookswise.

If you toss in character, I think I'm fairly smart and talented, sometimes socially awkward, good sense of humor, slightly spineless, mostly down to earth but with a snobby streak, and a little bit prejudiced. I guess that's a 6, too.

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Brian, please encourage this woman to post commentary on WAYWT. [​IMG]

Let me just put out a warning for you guys: protect your self esteem, NEVER let a woman see the WAYWT thread.

And I'm not talking about the kind of girl who signs up to tell everyone they look good, or something. I'm talking about a girl looking over your shoulder. That's when they'll be honest, and let me say from experience that the truth from what I hear is nothing like the truth alleged in this thread.

I agree that having self-esteem, loving yourself, etc. are all valuable psychological traits, but I'd much rather love myself for being honest and rational than for thinking I'm the hottest shit since sliced bread.

"I'm pretty okay. I have a little bit of a gut, and a receding hairline, but I'm a nice guy and I have above average facial structure. 8.5-9."

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

She'd be banned as a troll. Maybe I could get her to post a WAYWT first, so everyone will be torn on whether they'd want her banned or not.

12. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior member

Some days I wake up and feel like a six but end the only to feel like a zero or lower.

13. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

On a scale from 1 to 10, I give myself an A for effort.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I agree that having self-esteem, loving yourself, etc. are all valuable psychological traits, but I'd much rather love myself for being honest and rational than for thinking I'm the hottest shit since sliced bread.

And there you have it.

It's situational. At my best, when I'm dressed-up and speaking well, I might go 8, tops. If I'm out of my element: 5. Still life, purely looks-based? Forget it.

15. borderline

borderline Senior member

I don't think this is unreasonable.

I think it could be reasonable that on a forum where we are concerned with clothing and our overall appearance, we're better looking on average. I can think of two reasons:

1) styleforum makes you more conscious of appearance and makes you able to take steps to look better, and
    2) Better-looking people are more likely to want to use clothing to emphasize their good looks.

1) True
    2) I don't see why this should be the case. One could argue the "better-looking people" don't need to worry as much about their clothing.

I would add perhaps that most people on SF make more $$ as the result of being in jobs where dressing well is more important. I think there is some evidence that better-looking people tend to get paid better, so in this sense you could argue #2. I know that taller people get paid more...

It's possible that "worse-looking" people are more likely to compensate by dressing well.