• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Watch for under $300; just a dream?

adam52rl

Reaction score
My current watch is too thick to fit under some of the cuffs on my dress shirts, therefore i find myself needing another watch,
smile.gif
I am looking to get a dress watch that fits these characteristics:
slim profile, second hand (no other complications), leather band, preferably automatic/manual movement vs quartz

I would love to find a quality used watch that would last me as opposed to a cheepy chinese model. To that end the price is negiotiable ( in otherwords i'd love to stay under $300 but for a great deal i'd go as high as $500)

Some quick searching of the forum yielded many good suggestions but none that actually fit what I had in mind, in the price range i was hoping for.
Any and all good suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Avi

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Quartz Ernest Borel that I don't use anymore. It's dressy at 33mm 18K gold plated with breguet hands and roman numerals. Swiss Quartz movement and sapphire crystal. Will come with Tiffany and Co (Austrian made) and Movado (swiss) watchbands. I have box and papers. It's used but I'll let it go for 100 dollars. PM me if interested.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
Lorus makes some plain no-frills, dressy-looking watches that run about $20. Fine if you don't mind stainless steel.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Belgium seller on ebay that sells NOS dress watches, most are mechanical automatic-some could be handwind--from Switzerland. Could be a good deal if you're in EU.

Originally Posted by adam52rl
My current watch is too thick to fit under some of the cuffs on my dress shirts, therefore i find myself needing another watch,
smile.gif
I am looking to get a dress watch that fits these characteristics:
slim profile, second hand (no other complications), leather band, preferably automatic/manual movement vs quartz

I would love to find a quality used watch that would last me as opposed to a cheepy chinese model. To that end the price is negiotiable ( in otherwords i'd love to stay under $300 but for a great deal i'd go as high as $500)

Some quick searching of the forum yielded many good suggestions but none that actually fit what I had in mind, in the price range i was hoping for.
Any and all good suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Avi

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under 300 USD:

Vintage: good movement but in most cases need proper cleaning and service, beatable, gold filled or possibly solid gold, plastic crystal-no warranty

New: sapphire crystal, quartz, warranty, and 18K plated.

Have you looked at Skagen? I love their designs and can be had under 300 new.

Originally Posted by blackplatano
a vintage omega is exactly what you are looking for. Check ebay.

adam52rl

Reaction score
Thanks for the good ideas everyone. I think i may not have been as clear as i should have. I am looking for something in the vein of the Nomos Ludwig Obviously the Nomos is out of my price range but is it possible to find a quality used watch that fits these specs (super slim profile, very understated, and dressy) in my price range, and if so what brands do you think i would have the best chance of finding?

Coho: Do you have any pics of that Borel I could see or a model number.

As far as vintage omegas go I would love to find one but don't really trust myself not to get ripped off, also does Omega make watches in the 7mm thickness range?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get yourself a Seiko Spirit. Beautiful, awesome watch. ~$300 new.

Here's a black dial version on an aftermarket strap. It normally comes on black calfskin.

seikospirit.jpg

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to look through Angie's list or here for a local watch repair and sale shop, I found some vintage omega's around 300 that had been cleaned and came with a 3 year warranty from the store. That may amount to nothing but I like the look of the old plain omega's to anything today.

EDIT: The above Seiko rocks.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Forgot to mention: the Seiko Spirit movement is inhouse and very nice. You'd have to spend a few thousand more to find something inhouse and definitively better from the Swiss.

adam52rl

Reaction score
All your suggestions are awesome - I now plan on getting a seiko spirit at some point and the Wards are beautiful as well - so thank you again!

Unfortunately at this time (and i apologize if i have been unclear to this point) i need a watch of less than 8mm thickness as that is what i estimate will fit under my cuffs.
rssmsvc - Thanks for the great idea, I had never heard of Angie's list before but it seems like a great resource - I have been to all the stores in my area and plan to go Tourneau tomorrow evening. Hope i find something nice there.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.lawsonwatch.com/erboswdrseme1.html
Originally Posted by adam52rl
All your suggestions are awesome - I now plan on getting a seiko spirit at some point and the Wards are beautiful as well - so thank you again! Unfortunately at this time (and i apologize if i have been unclear to this point) i need a watch of less than 8mm thickness as that is what i estimate will fit under my cuffs. rssmsvc - Thanks for the great idea, I had never heard of Angie's list before but it seems like a great resource - I have been to all the stores in my area and plan to go Tourneau tomorrow evening. Hope i find something nice there.

Aries

Reaction score
mafoofan;868724 said:
Get yourself a Seiko Spirit. Beautiful, awesome watch. ~$300 new.

Here's a black dial version on an aftermarket strap. It normally comes on black calfskin.

+1, great choice

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I have a Quartz Ernest Borel that I don't use anymore. It's dressy at 33mm 18K gold plated with breguet hands and roman numerals. Swiss Quartz movement and sapphire crystal. Will come with Tiffany and Co (Austrian made) and Movado (swiss) watchbands. I have box and papers. It's used but I'll let it go for 100 dollars. PM me if interested.

Originally Posted by Coho
It's the Droya model. I got it for my Birthday 4 years ago. I just realized that the watch needs a new battery as it's currently not running. It's been sitting in my case for a while. I wore it the first 4 months I got it and just left it in the watch case ever since so apparently the battery is dead by this time. If you're interested, I'll go get a battery change and ship it out. If not, let me know so I won't bother. It's very thin, maybe 6mm. BTW, it's Quartz not mechanical! But Swiss quartz.

http://www.lawsonwatch.com/erboswdrseme1.html

plain.gif

Dude stop pimping your goods here. PM seems like a more appropriate venue.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william.robertshaw08