• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your dream watch?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I'm wearing my dream watch, a Rolex Submariner. I know many on SF see it as a cliche of a watch, but I don't care. I like it. I wear it everywhere and never have to worry about it. I appreciate its classic looks and rugged construction. I like that I don't have to be careful with it.

Agreed.
I wear my Rolex Explorer 2 everywhere...from Goose hunting....work...dinner....working on my hobby cars...wedding...its versatile, its functional and looks fine in nearly all occasions.
I am looking at a JLC Ultra Thin in white gold for more formal dinners....just cos the cuffs are tight in my dress shirts for the Rolex.

Regards.

mljones99

Reaction score
If I could go out and get anything I wanted right now, it would have to be a plain and simple Panerai PAM112
1057938100345_vista_1_g.jpg

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I really admire the elegant simplicity of the Richard Lange.

Sator: I'm assuming you like something this simple and classic as well?

I love the style of Lange watches if not always their proportions. The trouble is that Lange & Soehne have succumbed to the modern fad of oversized watches. Vacheron Constantin and Patek are one of the elite few to stick to classical sizing (particularly Patek) although other companies also offer one or two classical models too. Many of these more classically proportioned models have been in the catalogue for a long time and pre-date the oversized trend, whereas Lange is a new post-reunification company which uses the name of a defunct Glashuette company. They are not old enough to have truly classical models in their offering, although it is good to see them trying.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with you. IMHO, a 40mm time only watch will never be a dress watch, no matter how dressy you make it look. I never liked lange and GO, both companies are resurrected, same with Breguet. It's very likely that these 40mm "dress watches" will lose their aesthetics many years from. If I remember correctly, the big watch trend started much earlier. I think it was Omega who started making 36mm/38mm non-diver seamaster models briefly in the 60s. It never caught on however.

When I first saw the breguet hands with filled in lum, I shake my head in disgust:

21824.jpg

Originally Posted by Sator
I love the style of Lange watches if not always their proportions. The trouble is that Lange & Soehne have succumbed to the modern fad of oversized watches. Vacheron Constantin and Patek are one of the elite few to stick to classical sizing (particularly Patek) although other companies also offer one or two classical models too. Many of these more classically proportioned models have been in the catalogue for a long time and pre-date the oversized trend, whereas Lange is a new post-reunification company which uses the name of a defunct Glashuette company. They are not old enough to have truly classical models in their offering, although it is good to see them trying.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I fully agree with you. IMHO, a 40mm time only watch will never be a dress watch, no matter how dressy you make it look. I never liked lange and GO, both companies are resurrected, same with Breguet. It's very likely that these 40mm "dress watches" will lose their aesthetics many years from.

Yes, the modern Glashuette makers are brand new companies from the former Communist Eastern block. They have an aesthetic akin to a Russian company trying to recreate the aesthetic of a Faberge. It tends to end up looking as though they are trying to sell to Russian nouveau riche oligarchs.

There is a definite parallel between the aesthetic of shoes and watches. The Patek catalogue is like the Edward Green catalogue - nearly all classical and timeless pieces, which will continue to be classics long after we are all dead. Other watchmakers are like Corthay with their pointy toed shoes in green crocodile leather.

Particularly impressive is the fact that Patek offer a tourbillon (the 3939HG) with which they have staunchly resisted every temptation to skeletonise the face to show off the mechanism:

3939HG_001.jpg

Now, that is classical understated elegance all the way. Naturally, the diameter is an equally staunchly classical 33.45mm. I am filled with admiration for Patek.

Compare that with a Breguet tourbillon:

612543-747964.jpg

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lange isn't exactly a resurrected brand like Blancpain or Breguet. The factory was taken offline under the communists to produce lower quality pieces and then reintroduced to its former glory by a descendent of the founder. Prior to the communist takeover, it was a top quality maker of pocket watches.

Its hardly like many other 'heritage' brands which did not produce any timepieces for a century until some luxury conglomerate bought the rights to the brand.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Particularly impressive is the fact that Patek offer a tourbillon (the 3939HG) with which they have staunchly resisted every temptation to skeletonise the face to show off the mechanism:

Compare that with a Breguet tourbillon:

Well, Breguet is simply hewing to the adage "Show don't tell". It doesn't have "Tourbillon" written in dorky letters on its face.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WWJW?

What would Jesus wear?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Lange isn't exactly a resurrected brand like Blancpain or Breguet. The factory was taken offline under the communists to produce lower quality pieces and then reintroduced to its former glory by a descendent of the founder. Prior to the communist takeover, it was a top quality maker of pocket watches.
Yes, pocket watches - though this is hopefully not the reason the current Lange GmBH makes wrist watches of pocket watch dimensions! After the Communist takeover, all of the Glashuette makers got lumped together under the umbrella of GUB Glashuette, which latterly became Glashuette Original in the 1990s. The current A. Lange und Soehne company has no direct historical link with the original company other than that aforementioned family member (a great grandson). In any case, all of the Glashuette makers had to relearn the art of haute horologie from Swiss makers after Saxony became part of the so-called "Neuen Bundeslaender".

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Well, Breguet is simply hewing to the adage "Show don't tell". It doesn't have "Tourbillon" written in dorky letters on its face.

A fair point. Even better would be if Patek omitted their brand name from the watch face altogether.

Still, which of the two examples given looks more understated? Which of the two is "showier"?

BTW I actually like the "dorkiness" ie abjectly self-effacing plainness.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
WWJW?

What would Jesus wear?

He's in the next TAG campaign.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, pocket watches - though this is hopefully not the reason the current Lange GmBH makes wrist watches of pocket watch dimensions! After the Communist takeover, all of the Glashuette makers got lumped together under the umbrella of GUB Glashuette, which latterly became Glashuette Original in the 1990s. The current A. Lange und Soehne company has no direct historical link with the original company. In any case, all of the Glashuette makers had to relearn the art of haute horologie from Swiss makers after Saxony became part of the so-called "Neuen Bundeslaender".

Sator, all this happened after 1902, so why do you care?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix