• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique the Fit (Land's End Custom & Nordstrom)

stephen

Reaction score
In the never-ending quest to find something that actually fits a tall, slim guy -- I had a custom shirt made by Land's End a while ago. It's been through the wash 5 times by now. I'm *not* impressed with the fabric (already looks kind of worn), but I did choose the cheapest one (100% cotton oxford). I've also posted a photo of an off-the-rack shirt I got at Nordstrom's Rack the other day. It's a 16x36 "Tailored Fit" Nordstrom label shirt. I've "reverse military tucked" the back so it's not completely parachute like. You can kind of tell in the back picture, but there are two 3" tucked pleats or so on each side of the back. Anyway -- what are your thoughts on the fit of each shirt? I may try for another Land's End one and wanted to know what people thought I should change. I have a few thoughts, but wanted to hear other opinions! Thanks! Land's End Custom:
landsendoj3.jpg
Nordstrom:
nordstromxf4.jpg

Renty

Reaction score
I like the fit on the Nordstrom shirt better. My Lands End custom (same cloth) wrinkles at the sleeves which yours appears to be doing as well. This annoys me to no end and I'd consider shortening the sleeve length though it may be the fabric.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for $15, Nordstrom's tailors will take any extra material off the back of the shirt and make it fit like a glove - it's a service they've been offering for a while now

(or,,,, you could just hit the gym
rimshot.gif
)

Gong Tao

Reaction score
The Nordstrom shirt looks like a tent. The Land's End shirt is much better. The sleeves do look a bit long and if the cuffs were a tiny bit narrower the sleeves would not come so far down your hand.

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gong Tao
The Nordstrom shirt looks like a tent. The Land's End shirt is much better. The sleeves do look a bit long and if the cuffs were a tiny bit narrower the sleeves would not come so far down your hand.

ditto that. the land's end shirt could be 0.5 inches shorter or so. but it's the better shirt.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for Land's End. Not a huge difference but clearly a little better.

ahbeijai

Reaction score
The LE shirt looks to fit a bit better, sleeves are a bit long. I'm now interested in the LE custom shirt program, can you provide the measurements/stats that you submitted for the LE shirt? It might be interesting to compare to your actual measurements.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither one is slim. LE sucks.

mrphrog

Reaction score
I also think the Nordstorm one fits better in overall terms. The LE sleeves are too long and tend to wrinkle at the elbows. I also find my Jantzen shirts wrinkle quite a bit at the elbows compared to my OTR shirts, but maybe most OTR shirt fabrics are chemically treated somehow to resist wrinkles better.

stephen

Reaction score
I actually placed an order with Jantzen sometime last Fall, but never heard anything back from them.
plain.gif
The good thing about Land's End is they're fast and reliable... I've also heard their return policy is quite good. I might test it out soon and see if they'll still let me return this shirt. To add to the mix, I think I might change a few things: 1. Shorten the sleeves (1") -- reduce bunching and wrinkling? 2. Widen the cuffs (0.5") -- I can't pull my hand through without unbuttoning. What should a well-fitted shirt be like? 3. Take in the waist slightly -- Not sure if LE can do this anymore. 4. Button-down. My new collar preference. Much cleaner and easier if you're not wearing a jacket. 5. One-button on the cuff. Two-buttons look awkward without a jacket. 6. Different buttons. These are thick MOP. I think I prefer a less-yellowish thinner button. 7. Different fabric. Maybe a step up to 80s would result in a less "worn" look? Any more thoughts? I actually quite like the make of the Nordstrom one, but when I wear it for more than 5 minutes, my pleats get loose and it "pooches out" like I have a beer gut instead of a six pack.
laugh.gif

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
for $15, Nordstrom's tailors will take any extra material off the back of the shirt and make it fit like a glove - it's a service they've been offering for a while now

(or,,,, you could just hit the gym
rimshot.gif
)

Can you take shirts from Nordstrom Rack into a retail Nordstrom and have them do this?

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not

just remove the tags and they'd have no idea where it came from

I'm pretty sure they will do that service for any shirt you bring in, their brand or not

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Nordstrom shirt fits like a tent. The shoulders are too wide, and the back is huge.

The LE shirt looks better. I'd shorten the sleeves and see about taking out a little across the back (the front looks OK) and around the waist if you like a trimmer fit.

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
I actually placed an order with Jantzen sometime last Fall, but never heard anything back from them.
plain.gif
The good thing about Land's End is they're fast and reliable... I've also heard their return policy is quite good. I might test it out soon and see if they'll still let me return this shirt.

To add to the mix, I think I might change a few things:

1. Shorten the sleeves (1") -- reduce bunching and wrinkling?
2. Widen the cuffs (0.5") -- I can't pull my hand through without unbuttoning. What should a well-fitted shirt be like?
3. Take in the waist slightly -- Not sure if LE can do this anymore.
4. Button-down. My new collar preference. Much cleaner and easier if you're not wearing a jacket.
5. One-button on the cuff. Two-buttons look awkward without a jacket.
6. Different buttons. These are thick MOP. I think I prefer a less-yellowish thinner button.
7. Different fabric. Maybe a step up to 80s would result in a less "worn" look?

land's end, in my experience, has a great return policy. you don't need to widen the cuffs. you should not be able to slip your hand through while it's buttoned up. you should have to unbutton the cuffs each time you take off/put on the shirt. shortening the sleeves will do the trick... 1" might be too much; be sure how much it ought to be.

you may want to get your 80s shirt pressed at a dry cleaner's to see how it would look if done professionally... in the pix it doesn't look worn. if the look really bothers you than ya, go a step up. broadcloth.

seed

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodgersaaron45