• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orbita 6-watch winder - just bought one

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's nice!

orbita002mediumxs4.jpg

orbita008mediumdp4.jpg

orbita009mediumhz7.jpg

MrRogers

Reaction score
nice winder Zjp but a pic of a box without watches is akin to posting pics of hangers with no jackets!

I just picked up a winder this weekend, nothing as nice as the orbita, and can't stop watching the damn thing! Whats interesting is a few watches that were running fast have been spot on since being on the winder, weird.

Good luck with it

MrR

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I've heard that some watch winders are actually bad for the watch movement. I now have 5 automatics, one of which is a perpetual calendar that I'll be damned if I'll be troubled with resetting.

Which winders are good and which are best avoided?

This appeals to me (two is enough; I don't need to keep all 5 on a winder):

http://www.buben-zorweg.com/home.php?welt=1

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why, oh why did you go out and buy a watch winder? They are bad for the watches' automatic movement winding system. Auto watches are not wound all the time, naturally on your wrist, they are wound only when the wrist moves in certain motions which illicit the rotor to spin (and also it depends if the winding system is uni or bi winding). The movements weren't deigned for constant pressure and force to be put on the winding system, over time the winders will gradually reduce the accuracy of the winding system, and will oftentimes require a replacement of the winding system, or at least some of its parts.

As well, its part of a mechanical watches charm that one winds it up and resets it to the proper state of time and whatever other functions the watch may have.

Jon.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe you can set the Orbita on a timer, and actually code each winder to various factory parameters (e.g. GP 3xxx series, Rolex 3135, etc.)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
In all your thousands of posts you've never had a single god damned worthwhile thing to say.
baldy[1].gif

Said the man you doesn't understand the simple pleasure of a mechanical perpetual calendar; as well, your post broadly generalized nonsense, due to your lack of frustration of purchasing an expensive, yet superfluous device such as a watch winder.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I believe you can set the Orbita on a timer, and actually code each winder to various factory parameters (e.g. GP 3xxx series, Rolex 3135, etc.)

Yes, but its still putting constant pressure on the winding arm and parts which aren’t designed to take it. Again, the degradation of the parts will take years, but eventually it will occur. Personally, I like to keep as many of the original watch parts as possible, but YMMV.

Matt, how did the auction go?

Jon.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Said the man you doesn't understand the simple pleasure of a mechanical perpetual calendar; as well, your post broadly generalized nonsense, due to your lack of frustration of purchasing an expensive, yet superfluous device such as a watch winder.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but what's ridiculous about wanting a watch winder for a perpetual calendar? NR probably doesn't wear his perpetual every day and would rather not reset it after it winds down. It seems to me that a perpetual calendar is the one watch for which a winder is an almost necessity.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but what's ridiculous about wanting a watch winder for a perpetual calendar? NR probably doesn't wear his perpetual every day and would rather not reset it after it winds down. It seems to me that a perpetual calendar is the one watch for which a winder is an almost necessity.

+1 - I have no idea where you're going there Jon... ?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Put yourself in 2007:

You don't need a mechanical perpetual calendar. They are expensive to purchase. They are expensive to maintain (services can easily cost $2000+, depending on the brand). They redundant, as one can find all the information one seeks and more simply by looking at the calendar feature of his computer desktop. Thus, to add unwanted stress to the mechanical components of a watch that is going to be very pointlessly expensive to fix would be akin to shooting yourself in the foot and all to save a few minutes readjusting the watch.

That said, what are the reasons to own one? An appreciation of the watchmaker's art, of the skill and design and craftsmanship it takes to make one; of the execution of minuscule creation. Part of that satisfaction of precision and art comes from the tactile feel one gets by utilizing the crown, by pushing the complications pushers, by adjusting the watch precisely to where you want it to be.

It's the equivalent of purchasing a Alpa 12 SW and complaining that you have to adjust everything yourself, and that you wish to add an auto winding rotor to it to speed up the process, when in reality, many other more "˜practical' cameras exist.

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It's the equivalent of purchasing a Alpa 12 SW and complaining that you have to adjust everything yourself, and that you wish to add an auto winding rotor to it to speed up the process, when in reality, many other more "˜practical' cameras exist.

It's not all about practicality. it is generally not recommended to re-adjust time, date, moonphases too often on a perpetual calendar because of the number of different engaged gears and the blackout time periods. Not to mention that if you make a mistake in setting some of the parameters (e.g. you go too far in setting the time and move to the next day), you may have to go through an absoulte nightmare to revert to the right time/date/year/moonphase.

So it is simply safer to keep it wound at all times - of course, one can remember to wind it every day but to be on the safer side (again), most perpetual owners keep them on a winder. It's not necessarily a statement about a noble tradition vs. practicality.

One can actually argue that watch winders are also great pieces of craftmanship so there is an argument right there for owning one that speaks to you as an object.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
proflex