• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your 1st pair of EG, JL, Vass... what, where and when

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you remember when and where did you buy your first pair of EG, JL, Vass and other high end shoes? And what model did you buy?

My first pair of Edward Green was Chelsea in chestnut 808 last I think. I bought it at CP Co. at the Flatiron Building. I remember the shoes were 50% off from a full retail of $395
eek.gif
, so it must be long time ago.

I bought my first pair of JL at BG, they're Darby in Ardilla 8695 last.

My first Vass were bought at the Vass store last winter.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Chelsea, black, 22 last, Bullock & Jones, San Francisco:

p1000223gt2.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st pair of Lobb was Vintage 2002, so not long ago.
1st pair of Edward Green I think was a Nordstoms branded one. Actually many of my first Edward Greens were under other companies' labels. I think my first EG actually branded as EG was the Southwold.
1st pair of C&J were two I bought at the same time - a wholecut no longer made, and a double-sole brogue.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
those are some beat up shoes

Indeed. 15 years of improper care will do that.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st EG was the Harrow loafer made for RLPL bought from GVH. Later resold to another forum member.

1st Grenson MP is a black perf captoe w/medallion made for Ducker and Sons bought from Bennies in Atlanta.

1st SF Tramezza is the brown suede Gherardo
inlove.gif
bought on eBay.

No JL or Vass, yet.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was about six months after I joined SF. Oddly enough, finding them on deep discount has gotten a lot harder since then.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st JL was a pair I bought from A Harris. Some captoe on 8695. Can't remember the name

1st EG was from the store sale. Black Malvern on 888

1st Vass was only a couple months ago. Oxford medallion on U last in red cognac and in black

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First EGs were Edwardian Chelseas from Brooks Brothers more than twenty years ago. Would still be going strong if I had them remade, but I think I will replace them with a pair of bespoke. Out of shoe storage unless I build out a closet for greater density.

First G&G MTO were a pair of Wells two weeks ago.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
First (and so far only) Lobb was the Lopez, tan, last unknown, Hermes Beverly Hills store.

First (and so far only) Vass was full brogue, U last, burgundy shell, through A Harris when he offered a special introductory deal to SF members.

First Grenson MP was a mink suede 3/4 brogue from Paul Stuart.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First EG: Montmouth in Burgundy from the sale

First C&J: Bedford in black from pediwear

First JL: Wallace in dark oak from ebay (sausages)

First Tramezza: Black Fervido from ebay

My first pair of expensive shoes though was a pair of AE Concords that I bought at the AE store in NYC for full retail before I knew better.

Bawow

Reaction score
First Purchase of JL's from the factory in Nothampton. (1 Millan, 1 Brampton & 1 Hallaton)

First purchase of Eg's from factory in Northampton. (1 Rye & 1 Ringwood)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Edward Green Berkeley in black, London 2000, at the old Burlington Arcade shop.

Lattanzi Oxford bespokes, 2001 at Louis, fitted by Silvano. Second pair from store in Rome.

Jason Amesbury bespoke, London 2001 at the Timothy Everest house in Spitalfields. Some glorious leathers on display at the time.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
First unwitting EG purchase was a black RLPL cap toe similar to EG Asquith. I didn't learn its true identity until I stumbled onto SF.

First EG was Newbury with medallion on the 888 in antique chestnut ordered at the first Sky Valet EG trunk shoe. Was inspired by the HOF A Harris antiquing thread. In fact, I took a print out of one of the photos from that thread with me to show Susie.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
My first two major purchases were from brand-owned stores. What a thrill they were. I can't believe how poorly every shoe fit that I had ever bought before. No going back now.

Edward Green: 2006, Dover, tan, at Edward Green store in central London.

Sutor Mantellassi: 2006, Norwegian (don't know model name), dark antique brown, at Mantellassi store in Florence.

Up next, God willing: either Corthay or Aubercy in Paris next week.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52