• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear shorts?

JS1357

Reaction score
Is it okay to wear shorts in the city if you are not working ?

If you are not going to a fancy dinner, the theater, or a bar/club... Why not?

Most places are very casual now. Even the most high-end hotels have people walking around in casual clothes.

Just don't expect people to take you that seriously...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two perspectives

tumblr_ll3t6rGeaf1qbbuk6o1_500.png

tumblr_limn51Xk791qc8n5mo1_500.jpg

JS1357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

This guy looks ridiculous. Purple sweater and green shorts and blue mocassins... Those shorts need to lose one inch or two. Knee caps should be showing for proper JFK look.

I know it is so preppy but I just can't stand the whole long sleeves with shorts look.... I'd much rather wear short sleeves with pants if I were hot. This guy looks like he would be uncomfortable in hot weather and cold weather.... Lose-lose situation here.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JS1357
This guy looks ridiculous. Purple sweater and green shorts and blue mocassins... Those shorts need to lose one inch or two. Knee caps should be showing for proper JFK look.

I know it is so preppy but I just can't stand the whole long sleeves with shorts look.... I'd much rather wear short sleeves with pants if I were hot. This guy looks like he would be uncomfortable in hot weather and cold weather.... Lose-lose situation here.

Agreed on both counts. Too many colors, shots fit badly (though he might just need to hike them up) and while long sleeves with shorts are stupid, long sleeves and an additional layer is flat out moronic. Shorts with blazer doesn't work for the same reason. You either look like a fashion victim or you look like you thought it would be 30 degrees warmer that day and had to find a solution quickly.

Is it so damn hard to grab a polo out of the drawer rather than trying to look as contrived as humanly possible?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Come spend a few 100+ degree (before the heat index) HUMID summer days in Texas. You will be begging for shorts.

I live in TX and I only wear shorts when working out, mowing the lawn, or swimming. No judgements implied here on those that do, although I get annoyed at the IT guys who come to work in shorts.

Transcendental

Reaction score
If I need to wear shorts, its just a pair of basketball shorts and jordans. I dont really care for shorts not made of polyester, think they look bad.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Agreed on both counts. Too many colors, shots fit badly (though he might just need to hike them up) and while long sleeves with shorts are stupid, long sleeves and an additional layer is flat out moronic. Shorts with blazer doesn't work for the same reason. You either look like a fashion victim or you look like you thought it would be 30 degrees warmer that day and had to find a solution quickly.

Is it so damn hard to grab a polo out of the drawer rather than trying to look as contrived as humanly possible?

Exactly, either embrace the casual nature of shorts or wear pants. You don't have to go full-out casual and wear a tshirt and flipflops, but stick with the nature of the outfit.

inq89

Reaction score

Originally Posted by cptjeff
Agreed on both counts. Too many colors, shots fit badly (though he might just need to hike them up) and while long sleeves with shorts are stupid, long sleeves and an additional layer is flat out moronic. Shorts with blazer doesn't work for the same reason. You either look like a fashion victim or you look like you thought it would be 30 degrees warmer that day and had to find a solution quickly. Is it so damn hard to grab a polo out of the drawer rather than trying to look as contrived as humanly possible?
Agreed, it looks like he is a victim of over-thinking style, so much so that it doesn't practically make sense. Sweater with shorts (that are too long)? And too many colors. I'm all for being preppy but what you see in Ralph's Fall collection catalog doesn't always translate well in real life.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OMG ... Luca has a younger brother ... but with hair!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually looking for some shorter (not too short) solid swimming trunks/shorts for this summer.

Any suggestions?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely wear shorts in the summer and I sure as hell don't give two sh*ts what someone thinks of my dress etiquette. I'd sacrifice fashion for comfort any day. what's the point of wearing nice clothing if you're going to sweat in them?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
I sure as hell don't give two sh*ts what someone thinks of my dress etiquette.
Yes, yes, yes ... Style Forum is the right place for you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too many wear short pants where and when they should not. But then again, we live in an age when personal leisure and casual comfort are paramount. Appearing unseemly is of no concern.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teatree