• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Mac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rock Lee
I'm 5'9" 160lbs, 15 1/2-neck, 41inch-chest, 28inch-waist, athletic build.

Tried the BB ESF and overall its a decent fit around the shoulders with sleeves not being overly baggy. However, would still need to get the shirt darted to take the waist in. I personally wouldn't pay full price but definitely worth considering if your able to find a particular shirt you like on clearance.

You'll be lucky to find a shirt that fits a drop 13 well"”you'll nearly always need to have it taken in at the wiast if you are wanting a slim fit.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
You'll be lucky to find a shirt that fits a drop 13 well"”you'll nearly always need to have it taken in at the wiast if you are wanting a slim fit.

+1 With your build, you'll never find an OTR shirt that fits perfectly. Either find something that fits well in the chest and shoulders and get the waist tailored or go MTM.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheapish french cuff shirt. I'm probably going to have to head to a Macys or Nordstrom because I need the shirt in a week. Any suggestions on what brands to take a look at or avoid?

I'm not looking for some BoO or WvG type of cut even though that would be great. Something around the cut of J Crew would work for me.

Rock Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
+1 With your build, you'll never find an OTR shirt that fits perfectly. Either find something that fits well in the chest and shoulders and get the waist tailored or go MTM.

Very true. I usually look for shirts to fit slim around the shoulders and arms, then get them darted in the back.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I purchased a shirt from www.5thandlamar.com and it's pretty nice. Very slim to boot, but since I'm very skinny in the torso, I had it tailored slightly more. Quality is much better than your average mall brand at the same price point, but there are some loose strings here and there. Overall, very satisfied. Will purchase again in the future.

rts123

Reaction score
Hi, first post here.

I bought a Gap slim-fit blue contrast oxford from an online sale a few weeks ago and, surprisingly enough, it is one of the better RTW shirts I have bought. In fact, I probably won't even get darts in it. I'd rate it more favorably than comparable "slim" shirts from lower end point options like Lands End and Uniqlo.

5'11'', 14.5 neck, 35 chest, 29 waist, shirt is a size small.

To be fair, I'll update this post to see if the shirt holds up after a few washes.

ShaunHWright

Reaction score
I just went to ShirtsMyWay.com and designed my own
smile.gif

It took about 6-7 tries to get it right but I have perfected a slim fit shirt that works for me
laugh.gif

david123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaunHWright
I just went to ShirtsMyWay.com and designed my own
smile.gif

It took about 6-7 tries to get it right but I have perfected a slim fit shirt that works for me
laugh.gif

You were happy with the general quality of the shirts I take it? How are the buttons in particular? Have you tried any other online MTM that you can compare with?

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allaboutshoes
Has anyone tried the Costcos Kirkland slim fit shirts?

If they carried 14.5 I would have purchased by now just to try it out. With their return policy it really is a no-risk trial.

I'm almost ready to purchase a 15 and hope that they're exceptionally slim fit, but I wouldn't hold my breath
frown.gif

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger
If they carried 14.5 I would have purchased by now just to try it out. With their return policy it really is a no-risk trial.

I'm almost ready to purchase a 15 and hope that they're exceptionally slim fit, but I wouldn't hold my breath
frown.gif

Don't count on it....I highly doubt a Costco "slim fit" will be truly slim.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my CT Tailored Fit shirts. They're the best-fitting budget OTR shirt I've ever tried on. However, I'm still probably going to have to get the darts taken in a little bit more to get rid of some billowing in the back when I tuck the shirt in. But other than that, the neck fits well, the chest and shoulders are nice and fitted without being too tight, and the armholes are high and don't sag down at all.

The arms aren't too tight and they're not too baggy either. I had some MTM shirts that were too tight in the arms and I ended up busting holes in the elbows when I bent my arm, so these will probably hold up better.

The only issue I have is that I wish they used better buttons. But, for less than $40 per shirt, I shouldn't really expect too much.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Na1374