• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
That leather is ridiculous, wow.

Yup.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bdeuce22
welp. maybe solved my bag dilemma. awesome looking bag, dude.

Thanks. Give Alan a buzz - he'll take care of you.

Originally Posted by Jacob_G
Wow Mr. Moo that bag is perfect! May I ask what you paid for it?

Thanks.

PM me for pricing.
smile.gif

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
02_z.jpg

Want this Lim but afaik it's sold out everywhere. Anyone know of anything similar under $500.

Thanks in advance!

Fluery

Reaction score
Some beautiful bags in here...
I'm looking for some type of duffel/travel bag, either leather or canvas - could somebody recommend a few good brands that tend under ~$300 (or at least can be found used for under that)
Thanks!

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Deerfield Duffle in Vegetable Tanned Papaya...

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
nexusvii-military-jane-bag-1.jpg

Is this dope or stupid? I can't decide. It's a Porter Birkin homage/clone.

Not doing it for me:

- Colorway suggests a rugged, almost military aesthetic which contrasts with the style of bag
- The fabric has a sheen I don't like, and the weave is too small to be a feature and yet too large to be luxurious
- Handles are out of balance with the rest of the bag; too thin
- Smoked gunmetal hardware is again too 'robust'

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts from me - I'm searching for that elusive manbag, but probably with more conservative tastes than most on here. I walk a lot, and like something that'll hold whatever I buy over the course of a trip out. I'm tempted by leather for its durability, but often it's quite unwieldy. I'll also note I'm nominally a one-bag guy, moving from one to another without keeping the old one: I started out with a House of Hardy fishing bag. Great, but I used the first one so much I wore through the outer cotton layer on the back where it rubbed against my back, and then got close to doing the same to the replacement before my brother took it on long-term loan. Went through a period of using cycle messenger bags (Chrome, TimBuk2 etc), but the styling just wasn't doing it for me. Very robust, and very comfortable though. I solved the wear problem on the HoH bags by buying a Billingham Photo Eventer - very similar but with a layer of heavy leather wrapped around the bottom quarter of the bag. The only thing that did my head in about it was that it had a flap over the top and then a zip, so it was secure but difficult to access. Sold that to buy a Mulholland mailbag. Nice, but the placement of the d-rings for the strap support on the top back of the bag, plus the placement of the handle in line with them, meant that when fully loaded it tilted away from the body and wasn't very comfortable. Also, whilst load capacity was flexible due to the wide mouth and flap, it tended to be a bit unwieldy when empty. Tried a (standard size) Bill Amberg Truffle Hunter having had a thing for them for a long time, but it was just too small for daily use. I got a John Chapman fishing bag in a vintage store for a very low price. My initial thought was that it was too small, but I've still got it and it gets used more than I anticipated. Partly it's because compared to leather bags the canvas fabric is very flexible so it'll fold down small when empty and doesn't weigh much. Last year I got a Tanner Krolle Hampstead. Lovely, but more of a briefcase than a messenger bag so only suitable for paperwork or a small laptop. I've just sold it because it wasn't getting much use. I've also experimented recently with different bag shapes / styles - I got a vintage gladstone bag but whilst the quality was stunning it was a bit too OTT, and I've recently been using a free canvas tote and finding the shape has some benefits. I purchased a Filson earlier in the year, but it was the wool blanket version. Cool in the photos, but the contrast in flexibility between the wool and the leather meant it didn't sit right. I've got a vintage Morabito bag on the way right now, fingers crossed that'll be interesting. Things which interest me right now: Brady leather fishing bag:
bradyleathertroutbag.jpg
Browns were selling this Tusting tote in brown and navy a couple of weeks back, but it seems to have disappeared:
thing.18049426.l.jpg
Handmade bridle leather bag:
showcase-006.jpg
showcase-007.jpg

threeLegDog

Reaction score
wow, moo. that Narragansett bag looks like something you would use to carry maps and crypto codes to and from the front.

Kagemusha

Reaction score
Gotta give another shout out to my Porter....best briefcase I've EVER used. Looks fantastic, super durable, everything I've ever wanted. One of the few things I've paid full retail for and I feel it was fully worth it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kagemusha
Gotta give another shout out to my Porter....best briefcase I've EVER used. Looks fantastic, super durable, everything I've ever wanted. One of the few things I've paid full retail for and I feel it was fully worth it.

Which model did you get?

SJX

Reaction score
Very nice briefcase. I've ordered several belts from Alan over the years and have always been pleased with his work.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I have had a number of briefcases over the last year or two - a sort of trial and error to see what I like and don't like about each kind of style, sometimes mixed in with a bit of "leather artisantry wannabe" to explore how to restore/rejuvenate older cases. In my never ending search for the perfect case I happened upon a website of a US-based artisan (in Maine) who made leather bags, briefcases, belts, and other such leather items. I contacted the Alan McKinnon of Narragansett Leathers (http://www.narragansettleathers.com/ e-mail: [email protected]), to see what he can do for me - basically, to see if I can customize a briefcase and if so, how much customization room I had.​

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikki90