• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to find who is going to carry this Carin Wester Wooly this coming fall

carin-wester-wooly-bag-fall2011.jpg

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** I dropped by a BV store over the weekend and I'm pretty much sold on one of their woven bags, soooo nice. I'll most likely order within the week and will for sure post a few pics/review

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no love for this bag? this failed in "should I," so I wanted to run it by the Manbag posse.

E8Xl7.jpg

cGIFz.jpg

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Any definitive recommendations for backpack-briefcases? I'm going to be working in a business casual environment and would love an everyday beater-type bag for work. I already have a decent brown leather messenger bag/briefcase, so I'm not immediately in need of a beautiful leather piece. I thought Ally Capellino's Frank bag looked amazing when it made the rounds a few months back
198697.jpg
ACAW10FRANK_Bmed5.jpg
but I don't think I'm into the current color selection: http://allycapellino.co.uk/frank.htm...2e43a0bb385841 Any thoughts re similar bags? Definitely looking for something brown and I was into the idea of a waxed canvas instead of leather, but I'm not stuck on that. To explain, by the way: I want it to be backpack-able because of neck/back problems (nixing messenger bags), and it needs to be large enough to hang a laptop and/or a substantial number of files.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Jack Spade Mill Leather Davis Brief? I need a commuter bag for work. Couple of protein shakes, small tupperware and a couple of books. Is the quality ok for $375? Is there a better bag that looks similar at a better price point? EDIT - didn't realize it's less than 3" wide, which is too small but I love the style so would love to hear other options but 400 is absolute max. http://www.jackspade.com/shop/produc...at=364&page=1#

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
Thoughts on the Jack Spade Mill Leather Davis Brief? I need a commuter bag for work. Couple of protein shakes, small tupperware and a couple of books.

Is the quality ok for $375? Is there a better bag that looks similar at a better price point?

EDIT - didn't realize it's less than 3" wide, which is too small but I love the style so would love to hear other options but 400 is absolute max.

http://www.jackspade.com/shop/produc...at=364&page=1#

I'd stay from the Mill Leather series. While I like a lot of Spade bags, I have handled the Mill Leather bags in person and I was quite appalled by the poor quality. The leather just felt so plasticy.

Re several posts above - Cambridge Satchel Company does a satchel with shoulder and backpack strap I think. Qwstion has a weekender that with hidden backpack straps but that might be too big for your needs?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
I'd stay from the Mill Leather series. While I like a lot of Spade bags, I have handled the Mill Leather bags in person and I was quite appalled by the poor quality. The leather just felt so plasticy.

Re several posts above - Cambridge Satchel Company does a satchel with shoulder and backpack strap I think. Qwstion has a weekender that with hidden backpack straps but that might be too big for your needs?

Thanks. I'm not loving the Cambridge bags but the Qwstion grey weekender looks fantastic. I'll definitely look into it.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys! Qwstion actually does do an "office bag" that can act as a backpack: http://www.qwstion.com/detail.html?p=14&c=543 Just wish they offered it in raw canvas or another brown-spectrum color!! Herringbone is too kitschy for me, and I don't love the rest of their colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads