• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*EDIT- Vintage Exotics! Sea Turtle Wingtip Gunboats + Foot Joy Lizard Golf Spectators

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Ebay find I am sure.

Best $20 you've ever spent.

Haha. I bet thats the case.

They are so sweet too. No crease or wear in them and really lovely matching of leather.

Bet more than 1 turtle was sacrificed to make this and the shoe maker had to carefully match the scale patterns from various turtles to get it right.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
Vintage SEA TURTLE V-Cleat Wingtip Gunboats.

360 degree welt, double thick sole, and natural color. They are slightly greenish black and there is a "marble-like" textured look. Holy Crap!

Really looks more olive green brown than green black.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Wow. Where did you find these? Thrifting?

Originally Posted by TRA8324
where did you find them? just some random thrift shop?

Ebay find I am sure. Best $20 you've ever spent.

Uh, not exactly...

misc1.jpg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, these are dried out. Moisturize.
Originally Posted by Chips
Very cool! Are they brittle? I'd be affraid to wear them if they were, I'd hate to destroy such amazing beauties.
Good question. Actually, I made some contacts in order to find out how to best moisturize them. I was told to use Almond Oil. Since it is very light oil & easily penetrates, it was suggested that I would get the best results using it. I used 3 coats, and they are very flexible now. There is no real evidence of dryness now. I also inquired about the brown lines between the scales. At first I thought they were evidence of extreme dryness, and was afraid the skin would tear. I was told that sea turtle skin is really very tough, as compared to vintage croc & lizard. The sea turtle lives in the ocean and dives to much deeper depths than the croc or gator. Therefore, their skin is much tougher and water-proof. Also, in gator & croc, you will see more bits of skin between the actual scales. That is because, 1) again, those animals' skin is evolved to handle much less waater pressure than the croc. & 2) the gator & croc need the extra skin between protective scales for flexibility, whereas the turtle needs very little flexibility on belly skin. I was told that these shoes are "natural" and un-dyed. Most exotics (including the other sea turtle shoes I have seen) have been dyed, so the skin between the scales is the same color as the scales themselves. Problem is that there is a complexity in color (a marbling effect) that the scales have naturally that is lost thru dying. The brown skin between the scales is the normal color of the un-dyed skin after 50+ years. Interesting stuff, I think.

garymyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
Uh, not exactly...

Your elusiveness on this question leads me to believe these are not vintage, but newly commissioned. Probably somewhere really shady, like North Korea - but I'm not sure they have capable cobblers.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garymyman
Your elusiveness on this question leads me to believe these are not vintage, but newly commissioned.

+1

Please PM name of rogue dictatorship where you bought these so my secretary can book travel - me want some
inlove.gif

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your elusiveness on this question leads me to believe these are not vintage, but newly commissioned. Probably somewhere really shady, like North Korea - but I'm not sure they have capable cobblers.
All I can say for certain is that they are pre-1979 (more like 1950's according to sources), which would put their construction BEFORE the sea turtle was placed on the endangered species list. I just figured I'd have some fun and share them with the SF community, as I can almost guarantee that it will be a LOOOOONG time until another pair shows up here.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's wear on the inside of the counters. Nice try.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Makes them look even better, IMO.

Absolutely. Makes me want to wear all my croc shoes and start ebaying for all croc look alike turtle shoes.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the North Korea reference was enough to indicate my sarcasm...

Exotic footwear (cowboy boots) are a bad habit of mine, if anything I'm green with envy
cheers.gif

My apologies, friend. I got a couple of PM's with a bit of an accusatory tone, and I want to make sure it is understood that I would NOT have bought these if I believed they were made in violation of the endangered species act (post 1979).

That + there's a new baby in my house (our 3rd), and I'm working on around 4 hours sleep a night.

Cheers to you as well!!!

Jangofett

Reaction score

His response in #35 indicates its not an ebay gem but probably an old pair of shoes from a shoemaker.

Damn sweet deal. I honestly don't mind if some unethical shoe maker is willing to kill a few turtles now to make me a pair of shoes like that - brand new.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blush.gif
It's still early in the morning. Nice boots. Is that Arlington?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is just my baseball game pair:

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1302272368

Love them, friend! My uncle LOVES cowboy boots, and owns around 20 pairs of lucchese's. ALL exotics, like yours. VERY tough looking. Since I can't rock the cowboy boot, I was inspired to find some shoes in a similar style...

IMG_0060.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member