• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new holy grail watch

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
tacky. like matte vinyl wrapping a brand new SV and putting Asantis on it.

i think its two tone gloss and matte?

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Eh, it's not produced by Rolex so it voids every warranty Rolex offers. You can buy any Rolex and have any PVD company black it out and probably for a lot less mark-up, this one isn't that impressive to begin with. Easy pass.

which companies will black out your watch? im pretty interested in this.

yoyodunno

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh

Look it up online, I think there are lots of places that can bead blast/sandblast your watch(or anything metal for that matter), or put a PVD coating on it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh

ABC Watchwerks in CA comes recommended by a few satisfied customers. They blacked out this IWC 3717:
3717-dlc001-mq.jpg

3717-dlc002-mq.jpg

3717%20dlc003-mq.jpg

iwc-wrist03-mq.jpg

siglo vi

Reaction score
PVD or even DLC ends up looking terrible after some wear as the coating chips off really easily revealing the stainless steel under. Best to go with ceramic or the panerai composite (the Pam 386 is siiiiccck, not out yet though) for all black everything watch.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
All rips of my Phantom

Bell-Ross-BR-03-92-Phantom.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Find Finn
I don't get why you would do that, it just looks like a Top Gun now
plain.gif

It wasn't me that did that first of all. Second, the TopGun only comes in 44mm or bigger so if you want a smaller one this is a good alternative. Third, even with the extra cost of getting it DLC'd, it will still cost less than how much a TopGun would go for. Fourth, TopGun is now discontinued.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
It wasn't me that did that first of all. Second, the TopGun only comes in 44mm or bigger so if you want a smaller one this is a good alternative. Third, even with the extra cost of getting it DLC'd, it will still cost less than how much a TopGun would go for. Fourth, TopGun is now discontinued.

1: I know, as I have mastered the art of reading, now I just need to learn how to get my point across in writing.
wink.gif

2: Again I also knew this, but I still think it's a bad idea and it "ruins" a beautiful watch.
3: See above
4: I know

jessis

Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen black rolex's before - they are awesome. Totally converted!

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a guy i work with has a project x, its not so great really, just looks like a novelty. much prefer my nice wabi'd tritium 5513, classic design.
i do like the subs on those natos though, must try that for summer.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Find Finn
1: I know, as I have mastered the art of reading, now I just need to learn how to get my point across in writing.
wink.gif

2: Again I also knew this, but I still think it's a bad idea and it "ruins" a beautiful watch.
3: See above
4: I know

How can you like the TopGun and hate how this one looks? It's practically the same watch minus a few small details. I actually prefer this because the dial is less crowded than the TopGun.

And if you knew all of those, then why ask the question why someone would do it?

I can't wear a 44mm watch, if I wanted a blacked out 3717 (or TopGun-esque watch, then that is the way to go. I could get a used 3717 for less than $3k and get it DLCed and have a practically new watch. Or what if I just don't want a huge TopGun logo engraved on the side of my watch? Or I don't like the 3 numeral date-wheel on the TopGun? There are plenty of reasons to do it if the TopGun isn't an option.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has one, it looks pretty cool when new, but he said the black scratches really easily.

-LR

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
A friend of mine has one, it looks pretty cool when new, but he said the black scratches really easily.

-LR

Does it show the bare bone metal with the scratch?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liamsebastia