• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of these at home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Wo...atalogId=10053

They come in basic black or whatever too (but my team colors are orange).

I saw them in the discount bin and was going to buy them just for the orange factor but realized these are basically bike gloves. They seem to be made for guys who handle the big tools...like operating a jackhammer who cares more about grip/sweat/padding than protection. They are basically this without the knuckle plastic pieces. Padded in the palm, breathable in the back, reflective strip, terrycloth snot/sweat wipe...

They don't seem like great work gloves (the breathable back wouldn't give much protection like a leather glove) but they are some good cheap bike gloves.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
Dear Bike thread collected wisdom, Greeting from the runners! I bike commute in New York City, and wonder if someone can suggest some full-fingered gloves for everyday use. I will be beating the **** out of them and would like something that can take it. I would like to spend as little as possible for the desired effect (really tough gloves), but will spend what it takes to get what I want. I would also like my hands protected in the event of a crash, and hopefully, the gloves themselves could survive the crash and remain usable. Many thanks.
I used these throughout the NYC winter, for both running and biking. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66559?feat=506510-GN3
CR-193800.jpg
honestly the only reason I bought them was all those $10 Gift coupons LL bean gave out during the holiday season that you could stack. So it was basically free. So I tried them out. They are basically cross country ski gloves (but listed as bike gloves in LL Bean) so there's no padding but excellent grip. I use them a lot even in 50ºF weather because they are flexible and light. During the hellish winter we had I used them with glove liners as well. After using them for the season I would actually say I think they are worth the near $50. Because they provide such excellent grip for the bike and braking and are protective too. They are very flexible and soft also. They have been my gloves for going out, driving, anything in the cold because you still can do things like take keys out your pocket and unlock a car/door with them still on. They are still in excellent shape too. I've used them when I tool on my bike when I need grip and have gotten them super grimy and greasy and would just throw them in the wash and even dryer too. I wash them once a week with Minimal shrinkage noted. You can get them cheaper than $50 other than LL bean, but you know that great LL bean return policy (no question's asked).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wait are you looking for just some gloves to ride in or for gloves to keep you warm?

If you want to stay warm, craft makes some nice stuff (from the light stuff like Lawrence posted up to things like lobster mitts)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Bike thread collected wisdom,

Greeting from the runners! I bike commute in New York City, and wonder if someone can suggest some full-fingered gloves for everyday use. I will be beating the **** out of them and would like something that can take it. I would like to spend as little as possible for the desired effect (really tough gloves), but will spend what it takes to get what I want. I would also like my hands protected in the event of a crash, and hopefully, the gloves themselves could survive the crash and remain usable.

Many thanks.

Yes, like otc I can't tell if the op is looking for general-use full-finger gloves or for winter-use full-finger gloves.

I have listed some winter gloves here below, but these 4 stores also have a good selection of summer weight full-finger gloves. MTB f-f gloves are tougher than road gloves.

Craft are good.

Bicycling Hub always has good quality/good prices.
These Exte-Ondo gloves are excellent and on sale ($30.00 in black or black/blue).
bicyclinghub_2151_17887261

These Pearl Izumi gloves from Excel Sports are also very good and tough ($40.00).
Pearl%20Izumi%20Barrier%20Gloves.jpg

A bunch on sale from Colorado Cyclist and Competitive Cyclist.

These are all good gloves.

Stylego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorman

Is it generally cheaper to assemble your own bike than buying one?

Being a student cost is an issue! haha. I do view this as an investment though considering the amount of money I'm spending on gas. :/

So is it possible to find a nice bike for about <$300? or even cheaper that I could build up?

I'm about 5'8".

Thanks...

(now jumps to page 1)

Unless you're willing to wait ages, it's almost NEVER cheaper to build a bike than buy one out right. If you hit garage sales and CL you may be able to find a decent bike for <$300.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
wait are you looking for just some gloves to ride in or for gloves to keep you warm?

If you want to stay warm, craft makes some nice stuff (from the light stuff like Lawrence posted up to things like lobster mitts)

I actually have PI Lobster gloves for winter, they were a life saver, though next winter I might go for some winter-full finger gloves.

I am looking for everyday use full-fingers. Thanks much for the links!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have PI Lobster gloves for winter, they were a life saver, though next winter I might go for some winter-full finger gloves.

I am looking for everyday use full-fingers. Thanks much for the links!

Then your best selection for summer f-f gloves might be here.
Some are winter gloves, though, since the gloves on CC are listed short-finger/full-finger and not winter/summer.

Originally Posted by CHenry
The hand of Grant Petersen in that Bridgestone spec.

Sure, since he basically designed/spec'd them all.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with velo-orange parts? Been slowly trading up components on my old Fuji road bike (used as commuter/round-town bike) and considering one of their house-label cranks

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have VO fenders and a bell. Not exactly what you're looking for. I have yet to install the fenders and might as well sell them. The bell's great!

smile.gif

b

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Anyone have experience with velo-orange parts? Been slowly trading up components on my old Fuji road bike (used as commuter/round-town bike) and considering one of their house-label cranks

I like their parts that I have seen...and I am sure the house label cranks look great

I am just not sure they are worth it unless there is a very specific look you are going for (vintage look fluted cranks and stuff). A nice sugino crankset would cost less (even from VO)

I picked up a SRAM crankset with GXP (external bottom bracket design) on ebay for ~80 New. The retail packaging for the GXP cranks includes the bottom bracket which makes it $30 or so cheaper than buying some bare square taper cranks.

I think I got the S300 but there are a few more models available now. I went with a single ring but there was also a model with double--alternatively you could look at the apex cranks which are basically the same thing but say apex on the side (in fact I think the Rival cranks look identical to my S300).

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The bike is from the early 80s, so not quite the period VO generally goes for. It's a local company though and I like what they do.

I'll probably end up going to this bike shop nearby--owner is nuts and has hundreds of used bikes of every vintage. They seem to overvalue their stuff but I can be pretty sure I'll get something that fits and is decent. I'm not well-versed enough in parts changes over the years to be certain anything I buy off ebay (i.e., not returnable) will work.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT