• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
First I'd like the say the silhouette of the suit is great. I, for one, don't mind strong shoulders, and this is a great example. That said, the tie - it's in a different scale, but the wavy-ness of it - I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems to clash with the straight stripes of the suit...at any rate, I think in this case a pindot tie would be better, or a patterned madder tie. The tie isn't ugly, but I think a better one could have been chosen. Again, sweet suit. Details?
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
But ... when you have one somewhat "loud" pattern (say, a loud tie or a loud shirt), if you surround it with all-plain this and that, you magnify the power of the loud pattern. If one posits that clothes should blend together in such a way so that no one item stands out from the rest, it might well be that a shirt with, say, large checks should be paired with a large-patterned tie so that neither takes center stage. The patterns cancel out and all is good. It might not be everyone's taste to wear combinations like that, but I think the bias against multiple patterns can sometimes be counterproductive. It invites the famous scene from Animal House when the frat brothers descended upon some poor rush with "Hey - nice tie! Boomer (or whatever), come over here and check out this tie!"
I agree with you, but sometimes it's best to let one pattern do the talking.

cronicmole

Reaction score
UrbanComposition;4236492 said:
First I'd like the say the silhouette of the suit is great. I, for one, don't mind strong shoulders, and this is a great example.

That said, the tie - it's in a different scale, but the wavy-ness of it - I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems to clash with the straight stripes of the suit...at any rate, I think in this case a pindot tie would be better, or a patterned madder tie. The tie isn't ugly, but I think a better one could have been chosen.

yes i agree,something about that tie...

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Just hilarious. Your ascot probably clashed with your pocket square. Classic rookie mistake.

No pocket square accompanied the ascot. No jacket at all that day ... a day that will live in infamy.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
What happens in the summer in downtown Dallas? In Singapore, which has similar heat issues -- except they have them year round -- conservative business dress is dress pants, dress shirt and tie but no jacket. I think it looks awful and it is also kind of illogical. I suspect this developed back before air conditioning was as prevalent as it is now. Because today, while it is 86 and extremely humid outside, all the offices are 68 and you could wear a jacket perfectly comfortably.
Nobody knows because we all hide inside except for that (hopefully) short jaunt to the car where inside you must strip because that 10-20 yards has you soaked in sweat.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Great silhouette on that jacket, Manton. I really wish you'd post photos in natural light.

That was my first thought as well.

@Manton-thanks for the thread.

banis

Reaction score
I'll try. Would be interested to see what you think of this.
1217030031_FHWzH-XL.jpg

1217036802_ZgEyG-L.jpg

1217038863_3HkEx-L.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
[...] I'm increasingly using a cream silk square when I want something non-showy and not wearing a shirt with a heavy white content.

frown.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Great silhouette on that jacket, Manton. I really wish you'd post photos in natural light.
+1

Originally Posted by NOBD
frown.gif

lol8[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
I'll try. Would be interested to see what you think of this.

I like everything about this but the shoes.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly more pattern today. I think they work but I'm grateful for other views:

20110315_detail.jpg

20110315_main.jpg

20110315_shoes.jpg

for those that care: suit - Mangas, shirt & tie both Aquascutum, shoes Loake 'Exeter', PS ???

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly more pattern today. I think they work but I'm grateful for other views:
20110315_detail.jpg
20110315_main.jpg
20110315_shoes.jpg
for those that care: suit - Mangas, shirt & tie both Aquascutum, shoes Loake 'Exeter', PS ???

The size of the pattern on the tie is a little close to that on the shirt no? Perhaps it isn't and I just don't really like the pattern on the shirt. Somehow between the pinstripes on the suit, the shirt and the pattern on the tie it looks a little busy in the close up. It looks fine from the distance shot though. I want to add one more to those thanking Manton for starting this. I don't have any reason to wear conservative business dress at the moment, but I am glad this thread exists. I had more or less given up on MC WAYWN and was only checking the SW&D one (where you have been doing great work MoK).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like the shoes a lot. Everything else is a bit busy but I agree, nothing clashes. I probably would drop one pattern.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
1) I pretty much never think that odd jackets constitute businesswear.

I feel the same and thus have very few odd jackets. Unless it is a weekend or business casual event, I'm always in a suit for business.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leibgeber