• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
DSC01817.jpg
DSC01818.jpg

You went all-out today I see.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwmbro
Okay, going at this as a double outsider. Here's my take as both a neophyte who is fairly clueless about men's fashion, and as a European, who doesn't encounter trad locally. By all means don't hold back with criticism, having read the "glory days" thread, I feel I should state I am looking to learn, and can take harsh criticism (which is probably very appropriate if anybody is willing to give it to me, but you gotta start somewhere).
WAYWRN2_trad.jpg

The pocket square should not match anything else in your rig. It should either harmonize or just be random. Otherwise, it looks like you're either trying too hard (never good to put out that signal) or it's part of a matched set some low-end retailer sells to the potato farmers. Hence, your match with the sweater is a big error. Regarding the lavender and minty pastel green, I don't know where you live, but unless you're getting nice balmy spring weather, those colors are best kept in the closet until such as time as you're getting nice balmy spring weather.

LilacCords

Reaction score
Friday Challenge...
Trad or preppy not sure which... nevertheless.... today.... this is how I roll.....

Have a great weekend.

TRAD.jpg

TRAD2.jpg

TRAD3.jpg

TRAD4.jpg

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Requiem
Not for the trad challenge

010-1.jpg
015-1.jpg

Dig the tie. It's a Scottish regimental of some sort, no?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LilacCords
Friday Challenge... Trad or preppy not sure which... nevertheless.... today.... this is how I roll..... Have a great weekend.
TRAD.jpg
TRAD2.jpg
TRAD3.jpg
TRAD4.jpg

While I'm a fan of the blue blazer / red pants look, the tie should not be in the same color family as the pants. That's just overkill - and boring. If you're trying to hit the trad-mark, a rep would be much better ... perhaps a simple navy and white stripe. But plenty of other choices would work too.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
DSC01817.jpg
DSC01818.jpg

Hmmm, jeans and shirt fit is fine (can't really make out the footwear) - It's just a little uninteresting.
Originally Posted by jwmbro
Okay, going at this as a double outsider. Here's my take as both a neophyte who is fairly clueless about men's fashion, and as a European, who doesn't encounter trad locally.

By all means don't hold back with criticism, having read the "glory days" thread, I feel I should state I am looking to learn, and can take harsh criticism (which is probably very appropriate if anybody is willing to give it to me, but you gotta start somewhere).

WAYWRN2_trad.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Matching the PS to the sweater doesn't work.
Socks are too bold for the rest.
Originally Posted by upr_crust
Channelling my inner WASPitude, I have tried to come up with something properly Trad, even though I do not own the essential sack suit, since I look enough like a sack without my suits doing it for me.

At least everything I am wearing today, save for the belt and the handkerchief, is from Brooks - what could be more Trad than that?

IMGP0214488x1280.jpg

IMGP0209851x1280.jpg

IMGP0210851x1280.jpg

I'm not a fan of tassel loafers, anyway, but they look too casual with what is a fairly formal suit. The shirt hanging over the belt doesn't help - it all looks a bit sloppy rather than relaxed.

Originally Posted by LilacCords
Friday Challenge...
Trad or preppy not sure which... nevertheless.... today.... this is how I roll.....

Have a great weekend.
TRAD.jpg

TRAD2.jpg

TRAD3.jpg

TRAD4.jpg
There's something wierd going on with the blazer - shoulder fit is okay, but the buttoning looks very odd. I don't mind bright colours, but this is too much with a dark jacket (the closeness of tie and pants together are particularly grating) - it looks like over-the-top preppy.

Requiem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Dig the tie. It's a Scottish regimental of some sort, no?

I'm actually not sure, although I looked for it some time ago. Despite being close to some regimental ties (Blackwatch and Dental Corps, if I recall) I found no perfect match.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not being an American I don't really do Trad. Still to semi-show willing as Trad is basically bastardized English Countrywear, I wore that instead
fight[1].gif

20110311_detail.jpg

20110311_main.jpg

20110311_shoes.jpg

For those that care (nothing very special): Shoes: Grenson Rose 'Radley', Uniqlo checked cords, Brook Taverner doeskin vest, BT/Robert Noble SC, Baulmer shirt, Fumagalli Tie, Hardy Amies PS

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I'm not a fan of tassel loafers, anyway, but they look too casual with what is a fairly formal suit. The shirt hanging over the belt doesn't help - it all looks a bit sloppy rather than relaxed. .

In the US, it is a well-established and I believe very Trad thing to wear Brooks Bros. Alden tassel loafers with suits.

If my shirt is hanging over my belt, I am sure that my abdomen is right behind it.
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by acridsheep
Challenge. This is as trad as I get. ]

We had something of the same idea, except you have a proper 3/2 button suit. Also, I thought of you when I dressed today - please note - barrel cuffs, no bling.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Just a little tug on the shirt slee...

snap

Damn.

[
IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_wZCPBabmy4Q/TXou2Nm8fjI/AAAAAAAAByI/OsBkhAYTIGM/s720/as111.jpg[/IMG]

as112.jpg

I don't really do trad, so this is close as I get for the challenge.

The suit looks a little on the big side, but all in all this doesn't look bad.

Originally Posted by hobscrk777
My entry for today's challenge.

InidU.jpg

yXhmX.jpg

pkRfd.jpg

E0jT2.jpg

The shirt collar seems to be sticking out above the back of the blazer collar - one of them is probably too loose. The sweater and shirt collar don't really work well together either - the shirt collar sits very high above the sweater.
Nice fit on the trousers and the shoes look good.
In the US, it is a well-established and I believe very Trad thing to wear Brooks Bros. Alden tassel loafers with suits.
Much as I don't like them, I can imagine them working with a rough flannel or some form of tweed but not a formal pinstripe.

If my shirt is hanging over my belt, I am sure that my abdomen is right behind it.
sarcasm.gif

It doesn't look that way - just the shirt coming untucked, but if it is I'd get the waist of your trousers let out a little
wink.gif

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
The shirt collar seems to be sticking out above the back of the blazer collar - one of them is probably too loose. The sweater and shirt collar don't really work well together either - the shirt collar sits very high above the sweater.
Nice fit on the trousers and the shoes look good.

You're right about the shirt collar. It's a custom shirt from MT that is about a year old. It's a vast improvement over the shirts I was wearing before then, but now I look at it (or other people look at it, as the case may be), and I see all these minor issues that didn't occur to me when I first got it. Straightening things up a bit more before snapping the picture would also have helped.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads