• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie shootout!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I like how you didnt say which is which.

Or did he?

chinaa.jpg

(Or am I reading it wrong?)

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Chinese silk is supposed to be great

Anyways, I am expecting a surprised ending with both ending up as Kiton 7 fold

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one on the left is def brooks brothers. comes in pink about 6 or so colors an ugly yellow, orange etc.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohio
The color and and 3-D effect of the one on the right seems very dated.

Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
i dont like that skewed shape of the repeated pattern on the right

Originally Posted by Douglas
The funny shape to the pattern on the right tie (I'm talking about the way the squares are distorted as though in a funhouse mirror) is distracting and as others have pointed out looks dated.

I'm starting to think that "dated" is just SF-speak for "I don't like it but can't quite figure out why." Consider about how many Hermes ties have odd, skewed, 3-D, or otherwise funhouse-like geometric patters on them, yet still sell very well and for quite a bit more money than either of the ties pictured above.

hermes_ties.jpg.jpg

Originally Posted by Steve Thomas
The results of this test are already skewed because everyone knows which tie is the "better" one.
I hear ya, Steve, but there was really no getting around this. I purposely didn't say which was which in the OP, but there was really no point pretending that it's a "blind" comparison since BB ties are so easily recognizable to many SF members.

Originally Posted by Parker
I would avoid geometrics altogether. Most of them are just fugly regardless of maker.
That rules out a LOT of ties, Parker. I have, up to now, generally avoided stripes. I'm tall and thin and feel as if stripes make me look like a barbershop pole. Without stripes AND geometrics, I'm left only with textured ties in solid colors ... or with (gasp!) the Donald Trump signature look.

donald_trump.jpg

Originally Posted by Parker
Threadbearer, here's a couple good posts on Will's blog about building a necktie wardrobe:

Part 1 and Part 2

Excellent! Thanks for the leads. Bookmarked.

Originally Posted by NOBD
My guess was "Made in China".
The exact wording is "Handsewn in China." And the BB tie says, "Fabric woven in England. Made in USA."

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I'm starting to think that "dated" is just SF-speak for "I don't like it but can't quite figure out why." Consider about how many Hermes ties have odd, skewed, 3-D, or otherwise funhouse-like geometric patters on them, yet still sell very well and for quite a bit more money than either of the ties pictured above.

I mean: the ugly olive/brown background with the busy, undulating texture and the oversized geometric pattern of skewed diamonds reminds me of ties that were popular in the 1990s. You can still find plenty of these ugly ties today, but you won't find them featured prominently in fashion photography, advertising, or here on SF. Who cares if Hermes makes expensive ugly ties that are popular status symbols? Get over the brand. There are lots of well made ties by makers who would have little notice in mainstream culture. There are also plenty of cheap ties that look much better than those "LOOK AT ME! I'M SO RICH I CAN WEAR A SILLY TIE!" ties you have posted.

nohio

Reaction score
Without stripes AND geometrics, I'm left only with textured ties in solid colors ... or with (gasp!) the Donald Trump signature look.

Why are you afraid of textures and solids? You have been making great strides in your fits, but the ties consistently take away from your overall appearance. Why not master the classic ties before you venture out into more difficult territory like patterns/stripes/etc.

I'm in a similar place as you--getting rid of most of my old ties--which featured lots of loud colors and busy prints/patterns and big brand names. I'm really enjoying the process of searching out the perfect colors and textures to rebuild my tie collection from the ground up. Start at the bottom, not at the top.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean: the ugly olive/brown background with the busy, undulating texture and the oversized geometric pattern of skewed diamonds reminds me of ties that were popular in the 1990s. You can still find plenty of these ugly ties today, but you won't find them featured prominently in fashion photography, advertising, or here on SF. Who cares if Hermes makes expensive ugly ties that are popular status symbols? Get over the brand. There are lots of well made ties by makers who would have little notice in mainstream culture. There are also plenty of cheap ties that look much better than those "LOOK AT ME! I'M SO RICH I CAN WEAR A SILLY TIE!" ties you have posted.

129158555781865754.jpg

Why are you afraid of textures and solids?
Not afraid of 'em. Just don't want a whole closet full of 'em. I think a guy needs some subdued ties to go with his bold shirts and some bold ties to go with his subdued shirts. As I replenish my stock after the Great Culling, I plan to add more of both. The latter is the harder category to get right, though, so I'm spending a lot of time on it here before I start spending a lot of money on it. Thanks for your thoughts.
cheers.gif

Mariooo

Reaction score
dislike both, but the right more than the left...
btw - the left one reminds me of a certain james bond tie from T&A
biggrin.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you afraid of textures and solids? You have been making great strides in your fits, but the ties consistently take away from your overall appearance. Why not master the classic ties before you venture out into more difficult territory like patterns/stripes/etc. I'm in a similar place as you--getting rid of most of my old ties--which featured lots of loud colors and busy prints/patterns and big brand names. I'm really enjoying the process of searching out the perfect colors and textures to rebuild my tie collection from the ground up. Start at the bottom, not at the top.
+1. Not to mention a well matched textured solid tie provides, in my opinion, the sharpest and modern look you can get.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im not gonna speak for the other fellers but i said nothing about the age of the tie, simply my aesthetic preferences. i dont fancy H (tm) ties for their names... and esp not those posted.

the last 2 i posted:

wst0q.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
im not gonna speak for the other fellers but i said nothing about the age of the tie, simply my aesthetic preferences. i dont fancy H (tm) ties for their names... and esp not those posted.

the last 2 i posted:

wst0q.jpg

I like the tie on the right.

Mike

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
chinaa.jpg

(Or am I reading it wrong?)

"Handsewn in Chiaia"?
happy.gif

I'm starting to think that "dated" is just SF-speak for "I don't like it but can't quite figure out why."

You may be right, but I bet there is a major consensus when it comes to what simply looks better.

That rules out a LOT of ties, Parker. I have, up to now, generally avoided stripes. I'm tall and thin and feel as if stripes make me look like a barbershop pole. Without stripes AND geometrics, I'm left only with textured ties in solid colors ... or with (gasp!) the Donald Trump signature look.

I'm referring to "geometrics" as designs that are mostly squares and diamonds. There's an entire world of "neats" -- basically dots and florals -- which are great and give you the same "allover" design effect. Check out Drake's site. Lots of great stuff there.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8