• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cant gain weight

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Add a prebed meal. 1/2 to one cup of cottage cheese, some peanut/almond butter, a hard boiled egg and some berries. A 400kcal power meal which will keep you growing throughout the night.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stinger70
ehh, basically doing everything in that thread except for reading the book. Eating plenty more than the calculations on their tell me i should. I've researched this well and been committed but just havent seen any improvement. Before i started on this diet i was lucky to eat 2000 calories most days as i just didnt bother to eat during the day. Adding 1000+ has GOT to make a difference
eh.gif

hey bud, if you've "researched this well" and "been committed" you wouldn't have made this thread. you don't know what compound lifts are, do a random assortment of exercises, and haven't tracked your diet over time. you haven't researched ****, or, you've been researching ****.

www.ironaddicts.com

if you read the above website, educate yourself, and are consistent in your application, i guarantee you success. don't **** around with the advice they give, or any of that. there are millions of people out there who "can't gain weight" and the simple answer is that you're doing it wrong. accept this, keep an open mind, move on.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ehh, basically doing everything in that thread except for reading the book. Eating plenty more than the calculations on their tell me i should. I've researched this well and been committed but just havent seen any improvement. Before i started on this diet i was lucky to eat 2000 calories most days as i just didnt bother to eat during the day. Adding 1000+ has GOT to make a difference
eh.gif

No, you haven't researched, at all. If you had, you wouldn't be using machines, and you would know what compound movements are.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you using something to track the calories you eat? that can make all the difference...

Also start squatting please.

northnick

Reaction score
gained 6lb to 141lb without any problem. Absolutley cannot get any heavier than that. Have been hitting the gym 4 times a week, lifting heavy and working hard, can see some increase in muscle definition but no gains. Diet is easily 3000 calories per day, for the past 2 weeks been in a hotel and this is what ive eaten:

breakfast:

2 x sausages
2 x hash brown
2 x eggs
1 fried bread
baked beans
yogurt

lunch:

pasta snack (550 cals)
nuts and raisins
chocolate bar
banana

dinner:

soup, couple of bread rolls
4 x chicken breasts
big serving of pasta with cheese etc
carrots
mash potato

usually desert, often a double serving of fudge cake with cream.

It just isnt adding an ounce of weight. Going to get some protein powder and try adding another 500 cals by using that. Dont hold out much hope. frustrated
plain.gif

You have to eat more and better. Get more that 3500 mostly clean calories a day and stop with the three meal bs.

Diet aside, your training should consist of compound lifts (you can do iso, but.. compounds helped me gain more weight and size) just like everybody has told you in this thread. Make sure your form is flawless before you start adding plates upon plates. Sure, you may have deadlifted for a clean set of 10 but how does your back feel afterwards.. If you can't stand straight because of it.. you may be pulling to much with your back and not with your legs.

You should have a seperate day for arms and you do have to work out your legs; try this routine-

chest:
db chest press
dips (or asst. dips with the machine) i believe dips are great for upper body developement

legs:
squats (leg press if youre not sure, ATG for squats if you do know)
lunges (feels good after heavy set of squats)

back:
pull ups
db rows

take it easy when you start out and don't buy from GNC. you only need whey and caesin to be honest. if you like your pre work stims go for it.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or do one of Rip's programs. much better than that.
(ie: google starting strength).
Or wendler. Or SS by mehdi.
And you dont need Powder. 320 g protein, not an ounce of powder touches my lips.

Beren

Reaction score
If you want to gain weight you should do like the obese peoples of the world does, i.e. cut back on fat intake and increase carbohydrate intake, if that doesnt make you gain weight you should contact your doctor.
teacha.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
gained 6lb to 141lb without any problem. Absolutley cannot get any heavier than that. Have been hitting the gym 4 times a week, lifting heavy and working hard, can see some increase in muscle definition but no gains. Diet is easily 3000 calories per day, for the past 2 weeks been in a hotel and this is what ive eaten:

breakfast:

2 x sausages
2 x hash brown
2 x eggs
1 fried bread
baked beans
yogurt

lunch:

pasta snack (550 cals)
nuts and raisins
chocolate bar
banana

dinner:

soup, couple of bread rolls
4 x chicken breasts
big serving of pasta with cheese etc
carrots
mash potato

usually desert, often a double serving of fudge cake with cream.

It just isnt adding an ounce of weight. Going to get some protein powder and try adding another 500 cals by using that. Dont hold out much hope. frustrated
plain.gif

Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
How old are you?

lol. why do you want to gain weight when youre naturally not gaining? just go with the flow and stay slim. you'll appreciate it when you hit 30 and blow up to 200 lbs and get a big ol potbelly. we all were like this at 23. trust me.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by virus646
Stop arguing and just follow asdf's advice and what most people have already said. There's nothing much more to say really.

This is what all these special flower threads turn into:

1. I can't gain/lose weight!
2. <insert perfect advice>
3. But I don't want to do that for <insert piss poor excuses>.
4. Repeat.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If ya don't care about eating dirty, this is the season for EGGNOG!

Seriously, I consumed a quick extra 1,500 calories last night after dinner just from chugging some eggnog.

Otherwise, bananas + whole milk.

stinger70

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
lol. why do you want to gain weight when youre naturally not gaining? just go with the flow and stay slim. you'll appreciate it when you hit 30 and blow up to 200 lbs and get a big ol potbelly. we all were like this at 23. trust me.

because 6'1 and 140 is anorexic. I only want another 20lb of combined muscle and fat. No problem being slim i just want to fill out arm holes and have a bit of a chest. Guys im staying with are my age or younger and slim but muscular and look properly ripped just from doing a bit of gym work- dont eat a quarter of what i eat. Even the 6lb i gained made me feel better and so has the gym work, so i want to take it further.

Its pretty stupid saying ive put no effort in, most people dont actually try, but ive gone out and bought the right kind of foods, prepared them etc totally changed my diet and lifestyle. I would be gaining a bit of fat each week if i wasnt working out correctly, but instead im gaining nothing despite eating a lot more than maintenance every day.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
6'1 140 is not anorexic if youre strong enough to pull some decent weight. im not talking about heavy, but youre able to help move furniture around when someone moves or able to lift things to help your mom or an old lady on the street.

im 5'11 and i wish i was 140 lbs. i know i would not look anorexic just really lean. well i can only speak for myself.

i would say do a lot of laborious type work daily or if youre in school or something get a job at ups lifting boxes. after a few months you will definitely fill out as the protein from food will have a way to find a reason to stick. dunno.

but if you have to work out at the gym, dont just go through the motions of lifting weight. let the last rep or two be too hard to lift.
so go for one set on each torso body part to be really heavy where you can only do like 3-4 rep correctly.

asdf

Reaction score
because 6'1 and 140 is anorexic. I only want another 20lb of combined muscle and fat. No problem being slim i just want to fill out arm holes and have a bit of a chest. Guys im staying with are my age or younger and slim but muscular and look properly ripped just from doing a bit of gym work- dont eat a quarter of what i eat. Even the 6lb i gained made me feel better and so has the gym work, so i want to take it further.

Its pretty stupid saying ive put no effort in, most people dont actually try, but ive gone out and bought the right kind of foods, prepared them etc totally changed my diet and lifestyle. I would be gaining a bit of fat each week if i wasnt working out correctly, but instead im gaining nothing despite eating a lot more than maintenance every day.

I don't care what your motives are, but I know what your goals are and how to get there:

Starting. Strength. Buy it, steal it, look it up online, I dont care.
If you're a ***** and don't like it, look up Wendler's 5-3-1.
If you're a ***** and don't like that, look up Starr 5x5, but frankly Starr and Wendler are too advanced for you and Strarting Strength is the infallible easy answer.

Don't say you're already doing the same stuff, because it's apparent that you are not.
This is not rocket science.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member