• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Downtown Toronto

qertw

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for someone to alter some shirts and possibly pants (waist on the shirts to make them look slimmer and make some pants look slimmer as well).

Would I be better off going Alians, or one of the bigger shops (Robert Jones, Tip Top if necessary, Gotstyle, Walter Beauchamp, Sydneys, Tom's Place, House off Salgado, etc.) for good quality and reasonable prices? Basically, if its going to cost me less to buy a new shirt, I'm just going to do that as none of them are really *that* high quality. On that note, any idea how much this type of work would cost in general?

Sorry if I just jacked the thread also lol...

Thanks!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what you want done, Stitch-It in the TD Centre Path would be your best bet price-wise.

Ask for Niki or Mitra.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qertw
Hey everyone, I'm looking for someone to alter some shirts and possibly pants (waist on the shirts to make them look slimmer and make some pants look slimmer as well).

Would I be better off going Alians, or one of the bigger shops (Robert Jones, Tip Top if necessary, Gotstyle, Walter Beauchamp, Sydneys, Tom's Place, House off Salgado, etc.) for good quality and reasonable prices? Basically, if its going to cost me less to buy a new shirt, I'm just going to do that as none of them are really *that* high quality. On that note, any idea how much this type of work would cost in general?

Sorry if I just jacked the thread also lol...

Thanks!

You can call Alian and ask for a ballpark. 416 840 3427.

He did an excellent job recutting the seat of my pants, if that's what you need.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Inspector71

Reaction score
I'm going to be trying Magic Taylor today as it seems to have decent reviews from this site.

I have three suits to alter, so I may also try Alian's after I see the turn out from Magic.

I will update when I get everything back.

SFA

Reaction score
Ok I dropped off a pair of pants for Alian to alter.. not really impressed as I got home and it looks like he made them about 2 inches longer then he should have. I know it's my fault for not actually trying on the pants before leaving, but I am a little annoyed that now I have to go back this weekend and bring this up to him.

funkdoobi

Reaction score
I plan on getting my suit altered in the very near future, and wondering if i should take it to Alain or to Xavier (had great reviews for there as well)

Anybody want to give me their two cents?

hollyb

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the boards, just wanted to post my expereince. I brought an old suit to Alian for a bit of alteration while he seemed to know what to, the workmanship was shoddy. I don't think I'll be headed back there any time soon for anything but hemming.

ktrp

Reaction score
Just dropped off some stuff yesterday with :
Magic Tailor at 211 Yonge St (Mehmet is the tailor)

Three shirts to be tapered, one overcoat being full relined and slightly tapered.

He told me darting on shirts was $15, but on these three he's going to slim from the sides, and also slim the sleeves somewhat as well, for $25.

The overcoat is a cashmere coat that belonged to my grandfather that I'm now using as my main 'good' winter coat. The lining is in bad shape and one pocket has a hole. He's doing a full relinining. I wanted something other then black, and he had nothing else on hand suitable but is going to buy something. The full relining is $120. The coat is a little looser then ideal, so I asked about bringing the sides in a touch while relining, and he agreed. Since he's already operating on the coat, that's only an additional $30.

I'll report results, but I'm not an expert so if there are particular questions about the work, do ask.

ktrp

Reaction score
On the shirts:

Did what was described. Two of them I'm very happy with, one still baggier then I'd like, but I don't think its because of the work, I think its because of the depth and location of the back pleats etc. I would not hesitate to have him slim shirts again. My coworker who got his pants hemmed was very happy with them.

The overcoat, he picked the lining fabric since all he had was black and I didn't want black. He used a rich purple, I like it a lot. It is noticeably slimmer then it was. It is not 'slim', its just no longer too big. From the outside, I cannot tell that any adjustments were made along the seam, which is I suppose the goal
wink.gif

He originally told me it would take a week (I think). He ended up calling me a day earlier to tell me he was done. I paid cash. I presume the tax was included in the quoted price.

I'm no expert in stitching technique etc, if there are specific questions, throw them out there. I suppose I could try to figure out how to upload and post pics if that would be helpful.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this list of Toronto tailors here. Some have been mentioned on this board already but most have not.

Feel free to comment and share experiences.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no value in going to a bespoke or store tailor to get simple things like hems done or shirts slimmed, etc.

Stitch-It can handle all of that.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member