• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans and Plain Tees

heat

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and looking to completely redo my wardrobe. Basically, all my jeans have holes and need replacing, and I need some basic shirts aswell. I'm a student, so I'm trying to get this done on the cheap (or as close to as possible). I'm 6'0 and ~82kg.

What kind of jeans/shirts do you think i should be looking at? I'm thinking something like levis/lee but I'm not sure if that's the best option, also what style? 514s? 511s?

As far as shirts go, I want to bulk buy maybe 7-8 pairs of black or white shirts or v necks. What is a good brand to go with in this case?

Thanks

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be prepared for a barrage.

I can sympathize a bit since I was in this same situation a couple months ago. I realized I looked like **** and had no idea where to start. Here's what I did:

1. Buy 1 pair of cheap, decent jeans(I went with 501 STFs, hindsight I woulda done 514s)
2. Go to Target and buy a few(3-4) colored Mossimo V Necks if they fit you well. They are a nice athletic cut but run a bit on the long side.
3. While at Target, buy a couple packs of Hanes Perfect Tee V necks
4. Go next door to JCPenny's and buy a pair of hi-top Converses
5. Wear daily and start saving money for the good stuff.
6. Buy a pair of quality slim fit raw denim. I went with Nudies. In hindsight I should have splurged and gotten something selvege, but the fit is good and they'll do for now. You'll wear these daily and your Levi's can just be on rotation if you like them still.
7. Buy a semi-nice pair of street shoes. I went with Clarks DBs. $60 and they look decent.
8. Go thrifting for a couple nice buttondowns that fit you well in the shoulders, sleeves, and collar. Take them to a tailor and get them taken in at the waist.
9. Continue to save money for better stuff.
10. Start buying quality buttondowns. I'm up to 8 Longsleeve and 3 Shortsleeve button downs but this depends on you. Some people go with label clothes(I like Man of Moods and Epaulet) and others go with MtM(Made-to-Measure, moderntailor.com has given me good results).
11. Buy some quality khakis. I went with Epaulet.
12. Buy some quality dress shoes. Look on B/S and Ebay for these. You can get quality shoes used.
13. Start buying outerwear. This will be your most expensive step. I went with a light jacket, a cardigan, and a pea coat. Next on the list is a Harrington jacket and another Cardigan.
14. Start buying nicer street shoes. I found a pair of GATs in the B/S forum and really like them.
15. You now have the basics. Continue scouring B/S and Ebay to expand.

My wardrobe now consists of:
8 longsleeve button down shirts
3 shortsleeve button down shirts
1 cardigan
1 pea coat
1 pair of khakis
1 pair of slacks
5 pairs of jeans
1 pair of linen pants
2 sports coats
8 white V necks
6 colored V necks
1 pair Chuck Taylors
1 pair oxford dress shoes
1 pair loafers
1 pair GATs
1 pair boatshoes
1 pair desert boots

And this is enough to get me around looking somewhat decent. Of course, I still have a long way to go but hopefully this will give you an idea of where to start.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 pair of apc petite standards or new standards to wear every single day.
7-pack white American Apparel tees to rotate, buy more if you want.

275 dollars and you have good jeans and good t shirts to last you a while.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
1 pair of apc petite standards or new standards to wear every single day.
7-pack white American Apparel tees to rotate, buy more if you want.

275 dollars and you have good jeans and good t shirts to last you a while.

you will be forever known as "that guy who wears the same clothes every day" though

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
you will be forever known as "that guy who wears the same clothes every day" though

Yeah, I guess. The look definitely appeals to the part of my lizard brain that prefers coffee cups with exact radial symmetry and prints from one artist only per wall.

davidmross

Reaction score
I find the Old Navy v neck t-shirts to be a great fit and a great bargain at $6 or $7 each. They have a ton of colours and will help you build up some basics as you are saving for more expensive and interesting pieces.

gearhead

Reaction score
go to chinatown and get plain coloured tshirts for 5 for 10 bucks (that's what it is here in toronto, they got many different fruit of the loom/hanes shirts)
if you're not in a hurry, you can buy jeans on the sale forum, often good deals to be had
head over your local good will / charity store for other odds and ends

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Yeah, I guess. The look definitely appeals to the part of my lizard brain that prefers coffee cups with exact radial symmetry and prints from one artist only per wall.

Have you ever read questionable content?

word

Reaction score
Jeans and plain Ts can get you by until you are more knowledgeable about your own style and what brands can get you there. It's a step in the right direction. Remember it's just a step, that doesn't mean stop there because you will look the same every day. Especially if you get into this raw denim hype and only get 1 pair to wear until they smell like surströmming because some noob online told you to never wash them.

nsimp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branches
Gap has some pretty good solid tees

I appreciate Gap when it comes to some things, and I like their vnecks (most fit me very well) but the shirts are just such **** quality to me. I don't know if I just have bad luck with them or what...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L