• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why burberry is so expensive?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing I hate about Burberry is that it their retail and factory stuff are virtually indistinguishable. At least Brooks has "346" and J. Crew has two diamonds.

jc1234

Reaction score
If you can live without the fancy label and name dropping, you can get custom made sweaters of much finer quality for much less. In fact, my favorite fisherman's sweaters are custom made to my measurements in Otavalo and are of better quality than any sweaters I have purchased for well over 100.00 in the US and Ireland and they cost me $125.00 for 4 including shipping.

Custom made clothing and outerwear is always the way to go...its better quality and usually its cheaper than name brand shockingly.

Years ago, I realized that when you buy from large manufacturers, the most expensive part of the item is usually the label.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
why is water wet?
foo.gif

Pharmer

Reaction score
Simply put: Burberry Prorsum by Christopher Bailey is a high-fashion range, unlike the Burberry Brit or Burberry London line, that's why it's more expensive.

High fashion houses like Burberry Prorsum, are never really "worth" their prices: They are of better quality, craftsmanship, and fit than high-street, but the customer is paying for the cache-- the exclusivity of the name. All designer labels have a huge markup, so that even when they go on sale for 75%-off, the store will still make a profit. Just ask yourself: Is that Fendi fur coat "worth" $300,000(USD)? Is that Thom Browne cardigan "worth" $5,000(USD)? Is that Balmain "shredded" t-shirt "worth" over $10,000(USD)? Is that-- you get the idea...

I think more traditional bespoke labels are fairly-priced, but when you're entering the realm of high fashion, you're paying for the exclusivity. (And advertising, fashion shows, PR-generated hype, and image are not cheap for these houses. Didn't Chanel just raised the price of their classic bags by several hundred dollars recently to enforce the exclusivity cache?)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelvl
"Poasts", Learn to spell M8, especially when in the same post you are claiming that others are are behaving in dumb fashion.
You should take a poal on that subject.

Coburn

Reaction score
Otavalo the City?

How do you arrange this?

Originally Posted by jc1234
If you can live without the fancy label and name dropping, you can get custom made sweaters of much finer quality for much less. In fact, my favorite fisherman's sweaters are custom made to my measurements in Otavalo and are of better quality than any sweaters I have purchased for well over 100.00 in the US and Ireland and they cost me $125.00 for 4 including shipping.

Custom made clothing and outerwear is always the way to go...its better quality and usually its cheaper than name brand shockingly.

Years ago, I realized that when you buy from large manufacturers, the most expensive part of the item is usually the label.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
they purposely make them expensive so that chavs cant afford them anymore

You think chavs were making the trip to Regent Street in London to buy Burberry at retail...or is it more likely they were buying knock-offs at flea markets and tourists shops?

acl1

Reaction score
Lol. read somewhere that fashion houses sell for an average of 17x what it costs to actually make a product.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
why is water wet?
foo.gif

I am certain this is a very hard question, much harder than the cost of burberry clothing.

Wet is probably the property we used to describe water. Things are wet if they possess the property we ascribe to water.

By this reasoning, expensive is the property we use to describe the cost of burberry.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acl1
Lol. read somewhere that fashion houses sell for an average of 17x what it costs to actually make a product.

sounds bad until you consider that on top of that cost, they have to pay people to design the clothes, market the clothes, run the company, etc. And they don't have much volume, relative to brands like Gap. The market for $1,000 sweaters is not large. I don't see how anyone makes money at it.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that those sweaters are very fine, but keep in mind that some people are willing to pay more for a particular design. "quality" isn't the only important criteria.

Originally Posted by jc1234

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry has to bring in money to pay its legal costs against makers of tartans that predate the Burberry check but are coincidentally similar to it. For instance, my tartan.

Burberry is evil.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member