Why burberry is so expensive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bjswifty, Sep 8, 2010.

1. intent

intent Senior member

The thing I hate about Burberry is that it their retail and factory stuff are virtually indistinguishable. At least Brooks has "346" and J. Crew has two diamonds.

2. jc1234

jc1234 Active Member

If you can live without the fancy label and name dropping, you can get custom made sweaters of much finer quality for much less. In fact, my favorite fisherman's sweaters are custom made to my measurements in Otavalo and are of better quality than any sweaters I have purchased for well over 100.00 in the US and Ireland and they cost me $125.00 for 4 including shipping.

Custom made clothing and outerwear is always the way to go...its better quality and usually its cheaper than name brand shockingly.

Years ago, I realized that when you buy from large manufacturers, the most expensive part of the item is usually the label.

3. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

why is water wet? [​IMG]

4. Pharmer

Pharmer Member

Simply put: Burberry Prorsum by Christopher Bailey is a high-fashion range, unlike the Burberry Brit or Burberry London line, that's why it's more expensive.

High fashion houses like Burberry Prorsum, are never really "worth" their prices: They are of better quality, craftsmanship, and fit than high-street, but the customer is paying for the cache-- the exclusivity of the name. All designer labels have a huge markup, so that even when they go on sale for 75%-off, the store will still make a profit. Just ask yourself: Is that Fendi fur coat "worth" $300,000(USD)? Is that Thom Browne cardigan "worth" $5,000(USD)? Is that Balmain "shredded" t-shirt "worth" over $10,000(USD)? Is that-- you get the idea...

I think more traditional bespoke labels are fairly-priced, but when you're entering the realm of high fashion, you're paying for the exclusivity. (And advertising, fashion shows, PR-generated hype, and image are not cheap for these houses. Didn't Chanel just raised the price of their classic bags by several hundred dollars recently to enforce the exclusivity cache?)

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

love prorsum. just love their pants and some coats they have

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

"Poasts", Learn to spell M8, especially when in the same post you are claiming that others are are behaving in dumb fashion.
    You should take a poal on that subject.

7. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

Otavalo the City?

How do you arrange this?

If you can live without the fancy label and name dropping, you can get custom made sweaters of much finer quality for much less. In fact, my favorite fisherman's sweaters are custom made to my measurements in Otavalo and are of better quality than any sweaters I have purchased for well over 100.00 in the US and Ireland and they cost me $125.00 for 4 including shipping.

Custom made clothing and outerwear is always the way to go...its better quality and usually its cheaper than name brand shockingly.

Years ago, I realized that when you buy from large manufacturers, the most expensive part of the item is usually the label.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

they purposely make them expensive so that chavs cant afford them anymore

You think chavs were making the trip to Regent Street in London to buy Burberry at retail...or is it more likely they were buying knock-offs at flea markets and tourists shops?

9. Strombollii

Strombollii Senior member

Otavalo the City?

How do you arrange this?

Yes. Details?

10. acl1

acl1 Senior member

Lol. read somewhere that fashion houses sell for an average of 17x what it costs to actually make a product.

11. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

why is water wet? [​IMG]

I am certain this is a very hard question, much harder than the cost of burberry clothing.

Wet is probably the property we used to describe water. Things are wet if they possess the property we ascribe to water.

By this reasoning, expensive is the property we use to describe the cost of burberry.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

Lol. read somewhere that fashion houses sell for an average of 17x what it costs to actually make a product.

sounds bad until you consider that on top of that cost, they have to pay people to design the clothes, market the clothes, run the company, etc. And they don't have much volume, relative to brands like Gap. The market for $1,000 sweaters is not large. I don't see how anyone makes money at it.

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

I suspect that those sweaters are very fine, but keep in mind that some people are willing to pay more for a particular design. "quality" isn't the only important criteria.

14. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Burberry has to bring in money to pay its legal costs against makers of tartans that predate the Burberry check but are coincidentally similar to it. For instance, my tartan.

Burberry is evil.

15. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

Actually, as someone who buys pricey clothes all the time, even *I'm* shocked by Burberry's prices lately.

Their non-logo stuff is actually great. Just (now more than ever) insanely overpriced.