• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was set to order RW GTs in a 9.5, as I normally wear a 9.5 Clark DB and a 9 in Doc Matins (though both are just a tad too narrow on me). I thought I was a 10E in US sizing.

I went into the RW store to see if they had any GTs in stock (or anything else on that last) for me to try on. They didn't, but the sales guy measured my feet and tried to convince me I need a RW 10 as my feel are getting wider!!

So now I'm confused! I definitely won't buy from eBay or B&S now. Will order from RW or Shoebuy and keep returning till I get it right, I guess.
confused.gif

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omega Man
You won't be able to find it in Toronto (or in Canada...).

Although most Canadians should follow your advice and buy online, you can get Obenaufs in Canada. Viberg Boots in Victoria carries it, although it is house branded. One more +1 for those of us in the land of Sky Lotus and Creamed Honey.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I was set to order RW GTs in a 9.5, as I normally wear a 9.5 Clark DB and a 9 in Doc Matins (though both are just a tad too narrow on me). I thought I was a 10E in US sizing.

I went into the RW store to see if they had any GTs in stock (or anything else on that last) for me to try on. They didn't, but the sales guy measured my feet and tried to convince me I need a RW 10 as my feel are getting wider!!

So now I'm confused! I definitely won't buy from eBay or B&S now. Will order from RW or Shoebuy and keep returning till I get it right, I guess.
confused.gif

I just went to the store and kept trying on pairs until I found a pair that was comfortable for me. I then found a brand new pair of Iron Rangers in amber for $140 shipped on ebay. I dunno about going true to size with those GT's. I still think half a size down is a safe bet because they will stretch a little bit. That and any cobbler can stretch one of those boots a good quarter of an inch if they needed to be. Would be curious to see if the guy is just out of the 9.5E and is trying to convince you to needless go up half a size so he can still move some inventory.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
I just went to the store and kept trying on pairs until I found a pair that was comfortable for me. I then found a brand new pair of Iron Rangers in amber for $140 shipped on ebay. I dunno about going true to size with those GT's. I still think half a size down is a safe bet because they will stretch a little bit. That and any cobbler can stretch one of those boots a good quarter of an inch if they needed to be. Would be curious to see if the guy is just out of the 9.5E and is trying to convince you to needless go up half a size so he can still move some inventory.

Well that was part of the problem - he doesn't stock the GTs, they are a special order.

I hadn't thought about getting them professionally stretched. Will definitely start with a .5 size down and go from there.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryan123
endless.com has 40% bing cashback. Just search endless.com at cashback.bing.com
Making All of the Red Wings shoes less than 150 each.

A damn shame they don't ship international. Great prices and I've been wanting to kop a pair of Chukkas.

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryan123
endless.com has 40% bing cashback. Just search endless.com at cashback.bing.com
Making All of the Red Wings shoes less than 150 each.

For some reason it said im supposed to get 40% back but it didnt quite add up right... and DAMN YOU for making me buy more shoes! haha ugh... was trying to hold off spending any more money right now ugh

Finally got a pair of black GT

lawlercon

Reaction score
wearing a size 10 desertboot and wally, should i do 10.5 on a pair of 8131s?

float

Reaction score
anyone with a pair of wabashas in 10.5 or 11 that can get me a sole measurement? i'd like to get both before deciding which to go with. red wing directly couldn't provide measurements.

B^2

Reaction score
sizing red wings is a tricky thing because they are going to vary from model to model. I have the 1907's which have a slightly narrow toe box and ended up getting a 9.5 even though I sometimes wear a 10.5 in some sneakers. If you have the chance your best bet is to try some on in a store. you'll save yourself the hassle of ordering the wrong size.

bison

Reaction score
Anyone with Red Wings in oro russet or briar oil slick colorways, what color are they, exactly? Before or after treatment. I'm just curious because the oros range from clown red to bright orange to amber to a burnt orange on pictures I see online, while the oros can be anywhere from a dark cherry red to near black.

enarchay

Reaction score
How do Red Wing size? I take a 8.5EEE in Allen Edmonds, but a 9E in most other shoes; seems like AE runs long and narrow.

I really like the GT but it's not available in a wide. Do you think it could potentially fit since boots are usually wider than shoes?

Otherwise, I might need to go with the Iron Ranger instead since it's available in 2E.

How do you find Red Wings run lengthwise? If I take a 8.5 in AE but a 9 in most other shoes, what would be the safer bet?

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
How do Red Wing size? I take a 8.5EEE in Allen Edmonds, but a 9E in most other shoes; seems like AE runs long and narrow.

I really like the GT but it's not available in a wide. Do you think it could potentially fit since boots are usually wider than shoes?

Otherwise, I might need to go with the Iron Ranger instead since it's available in 2E.

How do you find Red Wings run lengthwise? If I take a 8.5 in AE but a 9 in most other shoes, what would be the safer bet?

Absolutely not. There is NO WAY a GT in D will fit you.

lawlercon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bison
Anyone with Red Wings in oro russet or briar oil slick colorways, what color are they, exactly? Before or after treatment. I'm just curious because the oros range from clown red to bright orange to amber to a burnt orange on pictures I see online, while the oros can be anywhere from a dark cherry red to near black.
147803338-329ce33733d32176bd018a3777c310ce.4c6d46f0-scaled.jpg
first wear on a pair of oro 8131's, no treatment yet.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Love my Oros... But they go darker than in the picture after a little while.
As for the Briar Oil Slick, it's a very dark brown. This is probably the closest to true color.

64890_250_x_333.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus