• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Why'd the numbersuit threak get squirreled? I was enjoying it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
It wasn't me, but just had a look over it.

Basically, he was using the forum directly for commercial gain and to solicit new customers, and was therefore approached with the option of becoming an affiliate, which I believe he declined (he made an 'ive been asked to pony up' post just before it was locked away).

My own personal opinion (NB this is not official mod decree nor a policy, just my own view as a member) is that I have no objection to guys like that using the forum for marketing, but the marketing has to be a lot less overt.

If he was buying in to threads on fit and so on, offering suggestions, and highlighting his own services naturally in the course of general discussion, then I have no issue with that. This board depends a lot on its relevant artisans for their feedback, and we (like to think we) always welcome new artisans to the board to offer this kind of thought. Once in a while some savagery has been known to occur on that front, but oh well, welcome to the internet, but this board would be a whole lot poorer with no Despos or Carl offering opinions, for example.

If he is an established poster who we have come to know and respect and like, then we kind of end up rootin' for the guy (see Kent and Get Smart for examples there).

But when new members show up and say 'hey this is what i do and i want you to buy it' in their first post or so, I tend to view it either as spam and just hit the ban button, or, as in this case, a potential affiliate who sees us as a market rather than a community (we are both), and offer affiliate conditions to them. Seemingly one of the other mods saw it in this light and presented this option to him.

When I first saw that thread I wondered if we had a new affiliate already, just by the tone. I am not involved in that side of the site, but the overtly commercial nature of it led me to that assumption. I was wrong. He is not. But, he is totally welcome to become one. Will leave that in the capable hands of my less-than-esteemed-colleagues in the control room.

Still, he has not been banned, and I'm sure has not forgotten the requests for pics of his work and workmanship or whatever, and if that makes for interesting reading (rather than just 'im good, buy me'), then I rarely have an issue with that.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya got it. (three times including your quote
smile.gif
)

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
ya got it. (three times including your quote
smile.gif
)

Actually, I think I changed her address into 'address', but better safe than sorry.
smile.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
for some reason beyond me, I haven't been getting in the site during daytime (late night to early morning to you folks in north america) and I don't know why.... is there a downtime in the system during that time?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
for some reason beyond me, I haven't been getting in the site during daytime (late night to early morning to you folks in north america) and I don't know why.... is there a downtime in the system during that time?
No, I'm often on it at that time and it is fine...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When you click on a member's name, you get 4 options - See their profile, send a PM, etc.

I note one of the options is "Add X to your Buddy List."

I don't even know what the heck a buddy list is, or why I'd want one.

I do know what an ignore list is, and I know that I have one, and I know why I'd want one.

I think that eliminating the buddy list option in favor of an "Add X to your Ignore List" option would vastly improve my enjoyment of this fine forum.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You'd really need a short cut for that? It's used that often?

For comparison I've copied my ignore list below:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can we have a ban on members poasting other member's pics when it's not wanted? If you put one up here, it's fair game to be used however, but if you kop it from elsewhere, not so much.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Can we have a ban on members poasting other member's pics when it's not wanted? If you put one up here, it's fair game to be used however, but if you kop it from elsewhere, not so much.
Taking them from Facebook and such? Thats creepy imo, although, that's what the internet is now a days. If you don't want it to end up somewhere else, you really shouldn't post it at all anywhere. There was just an article in my local paper about teens who are getting blackmailed with pics they've texted or put up on the myspace/facebook account. Usually for dirtier pics or sex.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
hamish was being a prick but honestly, they should both be ashamed of being "facebook friends"
facepalm.gif

Not aimed at James, but he triggered the thought. Also, a good reason I don't have an FB account.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynno