• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF "Holy Grail" Shoe

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often see various members refer to the SF "Holy Grail" shoe - there's usually some variation but generally the term is bandied about quite a bit to refer to shoes like the Polo Darlton (I can walk into almost any Polo mall shop and find a Darlton wingtip or loafer for $795) or JL Vale or Phillip II.

I think these are more like SF mascot shoes, similar to when Ask Andy commissions a popular style at Leather Soul for a group purchase.

I realize everyone has a different shoe ideal that they're searching for, but a "Grail" shoe is supposed to be something not easily attainable, often whispered about but rarely seen.

For me, when I first joined the forum, the "Grail" shoe was the mythical J&M Handmade 100
s. A few members had heard about them, and then a few became available via Bennie's when the Tennessee factory closed down. They came in old boxes with red velvet lining, and some of them had the name of the buyer that the shoes were originally commissioned for in the lining (ie Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., etc).

Eventually, I was able to find and purchase a few of these beauties - my "Holy Trinity", so to speak!
smile.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you please post pictures of their soles?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Very nice collection of J&M. Nifty to see them gathered in one place.

Mackay on 888 in brown has to be on this list. Pretty much perfect.

I am, sadly, lacking a grail shoe at the moment.

Did you sell your Mackays doc?

I guess I had a couple of Grail shoes: a)rlpl grant and b)lobb chapel. I've managed to put together a triumvirate of the Grant as well.

As with many of things sf related the thrill of the hunt is part of the allure.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my Grail shoes were the oundle/grant, the vale and the chapel. when I acquired all three I thought my work was now done. but then I saw them in suede
devil.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
my Grail shoes were the oundle/grant, the vale and the chapel. when I acquired all three I thought my work was now done.

but then I saw them in suede
devil.gif

laugh.gif

- B

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Rudolf Scheer & Söhne.

- B

Thats a well designed website. Nice stuff too. Thanks for introducing it to me. Have you any?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Grail shoe is classified until I get a pair.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member