• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A&S

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Asking them to change is like asking a chef to change his recipe to match your tastes. You eat at restaurants that you like because of their cooking style, same with tailors.

So true.

I would add that one should also match oneself to the lay consumer's review as well.

For example, in the wine world, I have no idea sometimes what the hell Tanzer writes about or get his ratings from, but I am pretty well matched with Parker - despite both being up there as folks with lots of experience with wine.

On SF there are plenty of lay critics, making it sometimes difficult to tell the wheat from the chaff.

- M

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Manton's jacket. I agree that the suppression could be relaxed a bit but it looks harmonious to me overall. The notion that it would be "ripped to shreds" if it were from another poster is a bit over the top. There are some serious train wrecks posted here from time to time and this isn't one of them.

whnay.'s jacket looks too full in the chest to me. I know that extra fabric is a hallmark of drape, but the very heavy cloth combined with the drape just under the armholes make the bulk look a bit unnatural in that photo. It could be his posture in the picture.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
This is an example of what Mahon refers to as a "crooked coat" more than a matter of balance. This is the DNA of an A&S jacket. Asking them to change is like asking a chef to change his recipe to match your tastes. You eat at restaurants that you like because of their cooking style, same with tailors.

I honestly do not see the issues you mention. But as for my suggestion, it was simply this. If it's true that they interpret "open the quarters" to mean "drop the fronts" then I want ask if they can simply NOT drop the fronts but leave them where they normally would and instead cut more of a swoop at the quarters. That should not be hard, and it asks them to change nothing about their system.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I honestly do not see the issues you mention. But as for my suggestion, it was simply this. If it's true that they interpret "open the quarters" to mean "drop the fronts" then I want ask if they can simply NOT drop the fronts but leave them where they normally would and instead cut more of a swoop at the quarters. That should not be hard, and it asks them to change nothing about their system.
Also, I'm not so sure the splaying 'A' of the fronts is germane to them. Whnay's jackets don't exhibit that (not from the shoulder seam, at least), and I can't seem to recall seeing it on other A&S jackets posted online. It's a pretty distinctive effect. So, my guess is that you're right: they adjusted the balance to open the fronts. The jacket looked very different at your first fitting.

aizan

Reaction score
FWIW, here is a picture of the only suit I ever took back because I thought it had too much waist. This is the before picture:

p1000218k.jpg

It wasn't so much the amount as the shape--the sharp, corset-like "pinch." The A&S suppression is much longer and looks better to me.

Here it is after:

p1010154gm.jpg

I'm perfectly happy with it now. The stripes are straight, at least!

i think you're going a little too far with the waist suppression. it makes your hips look lumpy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Did you read the comments?
facepalm.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
- I find foo's lack of objectivity in this and other threads where 'friends' are involved (vs where 'internet foes' are involved) somewhat... disappointing/amusing. IMO it discredits him as a source of authority as a clothing hobbyist, as a 'bespoke expert', or as an authority in anything tailoring-related. Which is a shame.

Originally Posted by lasbar
On Foo's lack of objectivity,i think it is the most amusing of his shortcomings...

I am not sure that I disagree that Foo's critique may have been softer here than in other places, but why does that matter? Striking a more gentle tone with friends than with others/non-friends is commonplace in real life and I am assuming SF is no different. Should the quality of his observations not just speak for themselves? Going beyond that - which both of you seem to be doing - gives him indeed a special, "bespoke expert" if you like, status. In other words, Foo should take your comments as some serious compliments. It's a shame that he does not; he really should.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, here is a picture of the only suit I ever took back because I thought it had too much waist. This is the before picture:

p1000218k.jpg

It wasn't so much the amount as the shape--the sharp, corset-like "pinch." The A&S suppression is much longer and looks better to me.

Here it is after:

p1010154gm.jpg

I'm perfectly happy with it now. The stripes are straight, at least!

Great fix! Was there a lot of engineering involved?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think he just let it out at the sides.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
On Foo's lack of objectivity,i think it is the most amusing of his shortcomings...
My
lack of objectivity? Ninety-percent of your posts are slobbering love letters to the popular members of the forum you feel the need to suck up to.
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I am not sure that I disagree that Foo's critique may have been softer here than in other places, but why does that matter? Striking a more gentle tone with friends than with others/non-friends is commonplace in real life and I am assuming SF is no different. Should the quality of his observations not just speak for themselves? Going beyond that - which both of you seem to be doing - gives him indeed a special, "bespoke expert" if you like, status. In other words, Foo should take your comments as some serious compliments. It's a shame that he does not; he really should.
I was "softer" on Manton's jacket because: (1) it isn't as bad as many of you are making it out to be, and (2) I can communicate much more efficiently with him. When we say "balance," for example, we mean the same thing. Unlike with many others, I don't have to go on and on justifying what I just said a moment ago, defining and re-defining words to clarify my thoughts while hecklers like apropos, Lasbar, or Wes Bourne, chime in to dispute what I "really" meant, which would, conveniently, prove that I'm a biased, snobby, know-nothing.

aizan

Reaction score
Did you read the comments?
facepalm.gif

yes, and the hips still look lumpy after the "fix". it's not about the depth, but rather the line of the waist.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
yes, and the hips still look lumpy after the "fix". it's not about the depth, but rather the line of the waist.

Good grief.

alebrady

Reaction score
so, it may be in the pages and pages of nonsense here BUT...

manton, irrespective of if you disagree with Despos on this point, can you describe in layman's terms what a 'crooked coat' is - i would have guess it meant something generically like leaning to the left or right (i.e. 'crooked') but i suspect that is not the tailoring defintion that is in use here?

also, could you provide any more detail on how they achieved the more open quarters by altering the balance (i think you used the phrase 'drop the front') but i am not sure i know what this means? It seems there are at least two ways to get more open quarters - whatever way that A&S achieved it (which i am surmising did something to the balance of the coat) or to cut the fabric itself with more swoop below the BP - is this correct?

in a profile shot, would the bottom of your jacket not currently be parallel to the floor? i thought this was 'balance'.

thanks - just trying to extract a little education here
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niotyer