• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove the pocket from your dress shirt (with before and after pictures)

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had to remove the pocket from a few dress shirts I purchased. I was scared and after searching StyleForum realized that there was nobody who gave the results with pictures or a front to back tutorial. I know that most forum members cannot afford to chances on their $200 shirts - but I'm here to tell you it is worth removing your pocket if you really want to. First you all must know, I have no previous sewing experience. I cannot sew on a button, I cannot sew a thread, and I paid my local tailor to remove the stitching from one of my jacket pockets. So I was very hesitant to go through with this. I only washed the shirt ONCE Prior to removing the pocket, as I have heard that multiple washes will make removing the thread more difficult. Anyhow, I went to my local Walmart and purchased a 'stitch remover'
2908353214_d7ed987cee.jpg
Then I slowly proceeded to remove the stitches from my shirt (after the first few stitches it was easy, I just had to get used to doing it while being careful to pull the thread through. The most difficult part were the pockets inside corners, where the thread crossed over or it was double stitched
threadremover.jpg
I started at the top of the pocket, putting the sharp part of the tool on the pocket side, then sliding the tool so it would cut the thread. Then it was just a matter of going down to each hole and pulling the thread through (except once I reached the parts where there was new stitching). After a inch or two of thread was being pulled through, I would cut and start again.
threadundone.jpg
When the pocket was completely removed, I could see the little holes where the thread had been removed, I was scared because some holes seemed huge and I could not possibly imagine how I would make the shirt look 'unaltered' again
pocketremoved.jpg
After a wash it looked perfect though, it had took me a few minutes to find where the pocket had been removed from and in this picture you can faintly see the thread lines (I had to aim the camera in a very specific way just so you can see these marks. And still - it doesn't look so bad) If this was not a pinstripe pattern - there would have been no way for me to tell where the pocket had been removed from.
1wash.jpg
Anyhow, for anybody thinking of removing a pocket - I say go right through with it. I'm very self conscious about my clothing and believe me - nobody will ever tell the pocket had been removed (unless they've seen you with the the pocket on) I think pockets make me look like more of a nerd - and if you're on this website you probably need all the help you can get Good luck!
fullshirt.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that should answer any further questions about having one revoved. Of course you should expect to hear questions about wearing a bag on ones head when doing so.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
threadundone.jpg

I don't think you're doing it right.

The safest way to use a seam ripper is to slip it under the stitches and cut every fifth or so. You would do this from the top of the pocket. Then you can pull the bottom thread out in one continuous piece and the pocket will just lift off.

Dunvegan

Reaction score
Does that bag come in other colors? Maybe something in a super 150's?
Seriuosly, thanks for being the test subject.. I'm off to pick up what I need to do some pocket removal!

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vince.Rich
Why'd you want to remove it?

I think chest pockets looks stupid

Originally Posted by edmorel
Why'd you take a pic of yourself dressed as the Unknown Comedian rather than just crop your face out of it :roma:

I think face cropping looks stupid

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You "had to remove the pocket"?

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Who buys a shirt with a pocket on it in the first place - unless they work in IT support?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
Who buys a shirt with a pocket on it in the first place - unless they work in IT support?

Many of my shirts have pockets. I really don't care about them, since when worn under a jacket you don't see the pocket.

Mike

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great work!

LOL at people focusing on the brown bag but that comes with the territory. It does look faintly ridiculous and kind of spooky, given the lighting.

But again, good work!

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The before/after washing photos probably saved me some future anguish, since I have some pocket removing to do myself and I can imagine the sense of regret I'd feel upon seeing the holes. I generally don't mind chest pockets though.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as you don't damage the fabric, warm water and a soft brush (a natural-bristled nail brush works) should work. Let the shirt soak for a while, brush it, rub it with your finger, etc. Repeat a couple times and the holes should disappear. It's never failed for me.

(Though don't try this on non-iron-finish shirts).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IuliaBartcovschi