• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
smile.gif

Lodon, AGAIN?
Whens Sydney?

Wrigglez

Reaction score
i wish WW Chan would come to melbourne.

that_80s_guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcral1
Whilst clearly not bespoke it's pretty darn cheap, and generally tailors that can afford international travel to their clients must be semi-decent...?

Methinks your logic is slightly flawed. Personally, if I was a semi-decent tailor I would probably be busy enough in my own backyard without any need to travel internationally.
Don't be fooled - it is a strong possibility he will take your measurements and send them off to a sweatshop in Thailand or India.
I have had shirts and pants made by one of these travelling gypsies, and they were a complete waste of my time - the fit was terrible. Not saying that all of them are 100% like this but be careful - maybe for a little more than $780 you could get one reasonable suit made locally that you would actually wear.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I think all PMs since Ben Chifley (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)--apart from Paul Keating--wore AS suits. Does Kevin Rudd I wonder?

I wish we had Canberra-style winters too, simply because I actually like the season. I often go the Southern Highlands and the Blue Mountains for that very reason (the excellent air-quality/climate is a prime reason too).

I don't know why, but I thought Howard had his suits made by Cutler?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Is it just me or is the standard of dress in this country getting just that little bit better? Perhaps it's the seasonal thing where people are more interested in looking good during the cooler months, rather than focussing on comfort and 'fitting in' with the unwashed masses? Or perhaps it is the unabashed influence of the Australian Styleforum contingent?

I've noticed particularly that the proliferation of better quality shoes has increased, from 0.001% of the male population, to about 0.005%... maybe it's the strong Aussie battler?

What are you guys seeing - are Aussie men on the whole better dressed lately? I don't know about Campbelltown but in the city centre I think it's the case.

Interesting to see Marcus Graham's comment on men's dressing in that Herald coloured glossy insert last week with Megan Gale on the cover.

Abbott wears RMs too like Costello did...FWIW.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
no, Chan dosnt go to austalia at all. i asked, they only go to places where there client base is large enough to justify the trip

Some consulting guy

Reaction score
So are there any good Asian tailors that tour Australia? A colleague uses someone Hong Kong based who visits the east cost each year, though I dont know which. The suits I see my colleague in are better than OTR, but nothing great.

I will need some new suits soon and have been thinking of online MTM, but would prefer to be measured and talk through the options if possible. I see some discussion of tailors on this thread, but very few seem to get great endorsements.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
yeah fox, i wish there was more australian intrest, is there anyone else in oz that would be interested to commision a chan?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
no, Chan dosnt go to austalia at all. i asked, they only go to places where there client base is large enough to justify the trip
I guess they would go where they get the volume to justify. More people in CA alone than Oz - and without the distances. On the other hand Melb and Syd are big cities by any world standards. Australians are the worlds best travellers. Nearly everyone getting away from oz goes through HK. Hell in the last 4 years I've been through HK 12 times at least and thats only on my own trips - no business trips o/s for me. If a good HK tailor mob established a bit of a client base here then lots would be happy to stop over in HK to and fro from elsewhere and get two fittings. At $800 return its nearly worth going over if a proper bespoke well fitting suit or two at $1,000 or so each is doable. I go to Taiwan once or twice every two years - next time I'll be looking for a day each end in HK to try a SF approved shop if I can work out the logistics sensibly. The reason I hadn't done it before was I hadn't discovered the eGent forums and tried and true tailors. I'd seen the suit "tailors" before in HK and thought that I could do better on my own sewing machine.

Sydguy

Reaction score
The travelling tailor are only visiting once? The last crew that came through the Radisson took orders/measured up clients then returned for a fitting I believe then delivered the final by mail.

That would seem a better way to operate, at least you get a fitting.

My most recent dilemma is shirts shrinking. They are all Rhodes & Beckett, it appears some fabrics shrink more than others. That or the measurements were not the same to begin with. I have 41/16's and a few of them really struggle to show any cuff with a jacket on. Others have an inch which I find excessive. To think I did not even know about this only a few months ago and now I feel embarrassed to walk down the street without a nice 10mm of cuff showing!

With regards to the weather Sydney weather makes dressing less expensive. No heavy coats needed. But can anyone suggest a a shop that sells decent umbrellas? Or does anyone use an umbrella they would reccomend. Getting sick of my rubbish one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members