• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
How's the quality of yours? I read the reviews on LL Bean and there are some complaints about the stitching coming out of the toe caps, or the heel separating from the sole, etc. Apparently the older Katahdins were better made. Also, are they treating these with oil before shipping them out, as jacquedelaneu above pointed out?

I think the quality is great, I have no problems with mine. Even if you do, LL Bean's customer service is second to none, if you aren't satisfied you can exchange them for a new pair, even if you've worn them for 6 months, etc.

For $160 it's impossible to find a full grain leather, Goodyear welted, Vibram soled boot made in the USA anywhere else, not to mention that the Katahdin is a good looking boot.

Yes they come pre-oiled, but I like the darker color so I did two coats of Obenaufs as well.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a pic from GQ of the new Chippewas. Looks exactly like the Katahdins, minus the cap toe. Apparently available from Zappos in March, but I have had no luck in finding it. Check it out:

boot-chippewa.jpg

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Found a pic from GQ of the new Chippewas. Looks exactly like the Katahdins, minus the cap toe. Apparently available from Zappos in March, but I have had no luck in finding it. Check it out:

boot-chippewa.jpg

Looks good.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was listed as $159, so the same price as the Katahdins. Question is, where to buy??

Edit: Emailed Chippewa, they say Zappos will have it very soon...

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilbananas
^Looks almost like an exact copy, wow. How much are these suppose to go for?
It's not really a "copy" considering it's their own design heh :p I like them better than the captoes I have already
redface.gif
dislike the imprinted logo though!

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Emailed both Chippewa and Zappos, answer is "soon". What do you guys like, the plain toe or the cap toe?

Btw, if anyone has an LL Bean coupon/promo they don't need, please PM me! =)

Motorsport226

Reaction score
I'm feelin' my cap-toes more. Maybe it's because of the horrible branding on the side of those, but I do think the cap-toe on the Katahdin is a nice touch. I think it helps set it apart from other "work" style boots. (see Red Wing GT)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
How do these things handle in snow, ice etc.?

Is the sole rugged enough to get decent traction?

They are slippery on snow. It's not a lug sole. I'd say that's the only drawback I can find. Overall I think these boots are great.

changed

Reaction score
yeah, I'd agree they aren't great in snow/ice. then again, is somebody that posts on SF really going to be doing strenuous activities on snow and ice anyway? :]

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as those Chippewas are US made, I'm all in for black ones.. May pick up a pair of regulr Katahdins as well.

My collection of boots is growing weekly.. Ehh, at least I have a bike and live in a place with ****** winters to justify owning them..

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member