• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Casual touch to a dressy well made boot/shoe, it's in the vein of Dr Marten.
lolwut they aren't work boots They have a good MTM program, with alot of leathers and let you do alot They are relatively well priced for construction / leather quality Everyone loves an english country boot, which is what trickers do really Those white vibram soles are silly, just go with single / double leather

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Casual touch to a dressy well made boot/shoe, it's in the vein of Dr Marten.
Part of it might be that i can't stand Docs. I get Redwings, and once upon a time i even wanted a pair. But that "here's a dressy boot with a big fugly vibram sole - BOYA!" is just obnoxious in a really really bad way. I realise that this doesn't apply to all trickers, so i'm hereby just refering to the ones that fit into above description, which coincidentally are the ones people are fawning over.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
OMAHA, NE, US\t02/11/2010\t5:04 A.M.\tOUT FOR DELIVERY--

when i get home, my LVC's will be waiting here for me.

can't friggin wait

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robbie just jizzed in his pants
laugh.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
eason, i like oyur avatar

tuzki is showing a lot of swagger there

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
Why does everybody like trickers so much?
They take shoes that could look okay and then they slap a big fat Redwing sized sole on and that's it.

+1000 i really dont like trickers. such clunky monstrosities. not even thom browne made them look acceptable.

avery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
OMAHA, NE, US\t02/11/2010\t5:04 A.M.\tOUT FOR DELIVERY--

when i get home, my LVC's will be waiting here for me.

can't friggin wait

how'd you size them? the ones on sale from levis.com are one-wash, right?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, Alexander McQueen committed suicide?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-suicide.html British fashion icon Alexander McQueen commits suicide By Rebecca Camber and Sara Nathan Last updated at 3:24 PM on 11th February 2010 * Comments (13) * Add to My Stories British fashion designer Alexander McQueen has been found dead after taking his own life. The 40-year-old committed suicide just three years after his close friend, Isabella Blow - who plucked him from obscurity and helped him become a star - killed herself. A source at McQueen’s office this afternoon confirmed his death, saying: ‘It is a tragic loss. We are not making a comment at this time out of respect for the McQueen family.’ His death comes just days before the start of London Fashion Week and weeks before he was due to unveil his new collection at Paris Fashion Week on March 9. Born in the East End and the son of a taxi driver, McQueen got his training in tailoring in Savile Row, eventually making suits for Prince Charles, and won the distinction of being named British designer of the year four times between 1996 and 2003. He went on to be awarded the CBE, as well as being named International Designer of the Year at the Council of Fashion Designer Awards. McQueen became the 'enfant terrible' of the fashion world after he was famously discovered by Isabella Blow, who was fashion director of Tatler. She bought all the clothes he made for his graduate show for £5,000 and they were delivered to her in black binliners. Miss Blow killed herself in May 2007 after taking an overdose of weed killer after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She had attempted suicide several times by then. McQueen was forced to deny rumours of a rift between the pair at the time of her death, saying: ‘It’s so much b******s. These people just don’t know what they’re talking about. They don’t know me. They don’t know my relationship with Isabella. It’s complete bull****. 'People can talk; you can ask her sisters.… That part of the industry, they should stay away from my life, or mine and Isabella’s life. What I had with Isabella was completely disassociated from fashion, beyond fashion.’ McQueen was so distraught by Isabella’s death that he dedicated his spring summer 2008 show at Paris fashion week to his late friend. The invites to the show were poster-size illustrations Richard Gray. It depicts a triumphant Blow, in a McQueen dress and a Philip Treacy headdress, in a horse-drawn carriage ascending to heaven. Miss Blow had said: 'My relationship with McQueen began in 1994, when I went to a Saint Martins graduate show. I couldn't get a seat, so I sat on the stairs and I was just watching, when I suddenly thought: I really like those clothes, they are amazing. It was his first collection. ‘It was the tailoring and the movement which initially drew me to them. I tried to get hold of him and I kept calling his mother, but he was on holiday. She kept saying: 'He's not here, he's not here.' She told him: 'This crazy person is trying to get hold of you.' I eventually got to meet him and I decided to buy the collection: I bought one thing a month and paid him £100 a week. He'd bring an outfit in a bin liner, I'd look at it and then he'd come to the cashpoint with me.’ Born Lee Alexander McQueen, the designer was the youngest of six children. Openly gay, McQueen - who once described himself as the 'pink sheep of the family' - left school at 16 and went to work at Savile Row’s Anderson & Sheppard, whose clients included Prince Charles and Mikhail Gorbachev, after he saw a television program about the apprentice shortage in traditional tailoring. He went on to work for Gieves & Hawkes, theatre’s famous Angels & Bermans costumiers, and then worked in Japan and Italy. He returned to London in 1994, hoping to work as a pattern cutter tutor at London’s prestigious Central Saint Martins fashion school. Thanks to the strength of his portfolio he was persuaded to enroll in the course himself. After graduating McQueen set up his own label based in the East End of London. With the launch of his 'bumsters' trousers with a waistband so low that the buttocks are revealed, McQueen made his label famous through tabloid headlines. He went on to be named head designer at Givenchy in 1996, succeeding John Galliano, before joining forces with Gucci, who bought 51 per cent of his company. ------------------------------------------ Damn....

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
Why does everybody like trickers so much?
They take shoes that could look okay and then they slap a big fat Redwing sized sole on and that's it.

They are really well made, very comfortable, and some people prefer a double leather sole over single... It's personal preference really.

And just an fyi, like 1% of the shoes they produce have a crepe sole....

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Richard Chai and Yigal Azrouel show their F/W line today. Can't ******* wait.
bounce2.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong for me to love the look of a blazer unbuttoned when its small enough that it pulls like hell when it is buttoned? Hell, I even think the pulling looks nice at times.

I ask because I think I've formed a habit out of buying clothes that are slightly small

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Richard Chai and Yigal Azrouel show their F/W line today. Can't ******* wait.
bounce2.gif

i gotta say your avy makes me uncomfortable. that being said i too am excited to see his collection. also,i am so ******* excited to see gellers show tomorrow night in person, yeesssssss

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I ask because I think I've formed a habit out of buying clothes that are slightly small
You and everyone else around here, buddy. That includes me. Can't stop, won't stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth