• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar Nominations

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my picks. ****** year for film. I hate Tarantino and I definitely pick him a lot here. Probably his best film at least.

If Up the Air gets any awards at all, the Oscars will **** on the small bit of cred they've amassed over the past 3-4 years. If Avatar gets an award for anything besides making **** look pretty, then the US government needs to officially step in and make the Academy Awards illegal.

BEST FILM
THE HURT LOCKER

BEST ACTOR
Jeff Bridges - CRAZY HEART

BEST ACTRESS
Gabourey Sidibe - PRECIOUS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christoph Waltz - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Maggie Gyllenhaal - CRAZY HEART

BEST ANIMATED FILM
UP

BEST DIRECTOR
Quentin Tarantino - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Geoffrey Fletcher - PRECIOUS

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Mark Boal - THE HURT LOCKER

BEST ART DIRECTION
THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. PARNASSUS

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
THE COVE

BEST EDITING
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
While we're on the subject of snubs, the absence of The Road just reinforces how much fail the academy really is.

+1. A ******* travesty.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
The only one I really care about is best supporting actor, I really hope Waltz wins, if only for his impeccably quadrilingual performance in Inglourious Basterds.

This is one of the best performances of any villain I may have ever seen. His career is going to explode.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Are you fuckin kiddin me? That was a great film.

Fran likes The Blind Side. Surprise, surprise.

Originally Posted by Melissa Anderson of Village Voice
In every scene, Oher is instructed, lectured, comforted, or petted like a big puppy; he is merely a cipher.
http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-11-...he-blind-side/

People who think TBS is a "great film" ought to also rank Rudy as the greatest movie ever.
plain.gif

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
"˜The Hurt Locker' doesn't stand a chance against the juggernaut that is "˜Avatar'. There will be no upset.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
"˜The Hurt Locker' doesn't stand a chance against the juggernaut that is "˜Avatar'. There will be no upset.

While this is unfortunately probable, it will stand forever as an affront to good film making. I enjoyed Avatar, I saw it twice without regretting it, but there were portions in the script that made me cringe, and I'm pretty sure I described it as "not oscar material, but very entertaining".

The Hurt Locker, on the other hand, is one of the best war movies ever made. It has a superb script and is truly worthy of best picture. Still, the Academy lost my confidence when they gave best picture to Crash.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Also, I'm pissed that Sam Rockwell didn't get nominated.

Agree

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
While this is unfortunately probable, it will stand forever as an affront to good film making. I enjoyed Avatar, I saw it twice without regretting it, but there were portions in the script that made me cringe, and I'm pretty sure I described it as "not oscar material, but very entertaining".

The Hurt Locker, on the other hand, is one of the best war movies ever made. It has a superb script and is truly worthy of best picture. Still, the Academy lost my confidence when they gave best picture to Crash.

Really? How about Titanic and Braveheart? Those didn't do it for you either?

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
This is one of the best performances of any villain I may have ever seen. His career is going to explode.

Pretty much.

The way he switched emotions and attitudes was nothing short of breathtaking.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the opening scene, the farmer appeared to be stone cold and rough, and was in tears at the end of the conversation. It was really believable and seamless how waltz controlled it.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
In the opening scene, the farmer appeared to be stone cold and rough, and was in tears at the end of the conversation. It was really believable and seamless how waltz controlled it.

I may be reading too much into the opening scene but I agree with you. Here's what I think.

In the beginning, Waltz is seemingly kind and open with his emotions. He even goes on to praise the farmer for the milk, etc. etc. This contrasts with the farmer's cold demeanor; he knows why Waltz is there, but he tries to play it off, not showing any emotion so as to not draw any further suspicion to himself.

As the scene unravels, Waltz gets to the point and he knows damn well what the farmer is doing (hiding the Jewish under his house). This is the transformation we see happen. Waltz turns from the kind character in the beginning of the scene into the cold, ruthless personality at the end. On the other hand, the farmer's coldness transitions into his sadness, which shows his kindness and compassion for even daring to hide the Jewish. He knew well the consequences.

I just thought it was nice how we see both characters transition into opposite emotional extremes in this opening scene. It definitely set the tone for the rest of the movie, imo, in regards to how we, the audience, perceive Waltz and his incredible range for changing emotions in seconds' time. The fact that he added humor, sarcasm, and a bit of wit to his character adds even more to the movie, proving that he should definitely get that Oscar.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym

The fact that he added humor, sarcasm, and a bit of wit to his character adds even more to the movie, proving that he should definitely get that Oscar.

Well this was in the script, so it doesn't have much to do with him. He acts what he sees on the page.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soikeobong2024