• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sweater Pr0n Thread

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Now this is a thread I could get off on err in.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Great sweaters, Dewey.
Thanks B.
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Bah I am upset at myself for buying a $45 RL lambswool recently. So you just order the standard crewneck classics for $95?
Right. Send them email with chest size, style of sweater desired, and choice of Jamieson's wool. You get charged in pounds and you can pay with PayPal. It's not a bespoke or even made to measure service. There is a size chart on the website and my sense is they will take your chest size, look it up on that size chart, and make you a sweater in that size.
Originally Posted by AlanC
Those look great, but I'm not sure I could get my head through that opening.
You could but good eye, the opening is smaller on these two sweaters. They are slipovers i.e. sweater vests. I've received four of these and they all came with smaller neck openings than the opening on their classic v-neck. They are a bit tight at first but they stretch out as the vest molds to the shape of your body. I've never been bothered by the size of the opening. FWIW my classic v-neck from Spirit of Shetland is looser fitting and it has a big, easy opening.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful topic, these are my favourite sweaters: Drakes of london Fair Isle tank top, 100% Shetland Wool Polo RL Wimbledon Cable tank top, 70% Cotton 30% Cachemire Hackett London Cable Cardigan, 100% Cotton
20kdoxu.jpg
34e40hk.jpg
1zqegdc.jpg
2mms7eg.jpg

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living in Florida/Texas I don't need sweaters like y'all. I have two shetland sweaters that I wear when it gets *cold* and whenever I travel up north,

Both were made by McGeorge of Scotland - gorgeous mix of colors in both and bought from O'connells (what a great shop).

(click for bigger pics - all from Oconnells' website)

The first one is 'Baroque' - it has flecks of yellow and blue and red all over, looks awesome with most trousers I wear. Grey and navy go especially well with this sweater.

This perfect for all other trousers and jeans - a very dark purple with red, green and other colors.

See this page for more colors: http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...l_sweaters.php

I'd wear shetlands than cashmere anyday.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Thanks B. Right. Send them email with chest size, style of sweater desired, and choice of Jamieson's wool. You get charged in pounds and you can pay with PayPal. It's not a bespoke or even made to measure service. There is a size chart on the website and my sense is they will take your chest size, look it up on that size chart, and make you a sweater in that size. You could but good eye, the opening is smaller on these two sweaters. They are slipovers i.e. sweater vests. I've received four of these and they all came with smaller neck openings than the opening on their classic v-neck. They are a bit tight at first but they stretch out as the vest molds to the shape of your body. I've never been bothered by the size of the opening. FWIW my classic v-neck from Spirit of Shetland is looser fitting and it has a big, easy opening.
Did you size up, down or stay TTS? Are they relatively slim, can they be worn under a jacket with high armholes? I'm talking about the sweaters BTW. Really gorgeous wool.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Surprised no one has any jamieson's here.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Did you size up, down or stay TTS? Are they relatively slim, can they be worn under a jacket with high armholes? I'm talking about the sweaters BTW. Really gorgeous wool.
Hard to say -- the slipover (British word for sweater vest) pattern is slim, with high armholes and a small neck opening, but the one long-sleeve v-neck I've received is slouchier. You could figure out what you want and write and see if you can get it.
Originally Posted by jet
Surprised no one has any jamieson's here.
Isn't Jamieson's the yarn maker? Those two I just posted are made of Jamieson's wool.
Originally Posted by srivats
This perfect for all other trousers and jeans - a very dark purple with red, green and other colors
Color looks like the Jamieson's "Rosewood." I agree it's gorgeous and versatile. The "Shaggy Dogs" are brushed shetland. I have a gorgeous blue lovat shaggy dog from the Andover Shop. Shetlands do not pill they kind of shag up but not that much, on their own, in my experience. A regular shetland might get that fuzzy on its own if you wore it hard for a decade. So the shaggy effect of the brushing seems exaggerated and artificial to me; to be honest the shaggy dog reminds me of pre-distressed denim. That said I won't stop wearing it now and again.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
The "Shaggy Dogs" are brushed shetland. They might get that fuzzy on their own if you wore them hard for a decade. I have one from the Andover Shop and I'm not a big fan of the shagginess. In the Shaggy Dog I feel like I'm wearing pre-distressed denim.

I kind of like the surface effect on shaggy dogs. More than that, I like that color in that J Press sweater a lot. Perfect for fall wear.

Both my sweaters I posted above are regular (unbrushed?) shetlands. I am glad I bought them that way.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum needs to make up its mind. First the RLPL cashmere was the thing, then the big timers step in and say NOS Shetlands wool is where its at. I'm looking at a couple of Shetlands in oatmeal and light grey now :/.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
This forum needs to make up its mind. First the RLPL cashmere was the thing, then the big timers step in and say NOS Shetlands wool is where its at. I'm looking at a couple of Shetlands in oatmeal and light grey now :/.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was never a cashmere fan, and I am *certainly* not a big timer, in any sense of the word. As I wrote in the other thread, cashemere is not rustic enough for my tastes. I vastly prefer the surface colors the heathered shetlands show - the same reason why I adore donegal tweed. Just look at these colors and tell me if they are boring:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=95

At $125, those McGeorge shetlands are a great buy from O'connells' and will not dent your wallet like Ralph's cashmere. Irrespective of the cashmere lust that this forum has, those sweaters hold the ground on their own.

If you decide to buy any, please post what you bought
smile.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman

NOS wool has an aura of exclusivity that RLPL cashmere does not.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
found 3 vintage brooks brothers shetlands in a drawer today.. probably from the 70s or 80s. awesome.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanaBurrell