• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Hopsack Suit?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
As my former supplier of cotton office pants, I trust that you are telling the truth. I still don't like it. I saw Zoolander on tv this weekend. I believe Hansel wore something similar, albeit in another color.

Hansel is so hot right now.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Not yet, but I have been peeping the flannels. I only stopped buying from ed because he stopped selling (if I'm not mistaken). I think the mods should add 'Former' to ed's title.

Stopped selling other brand's office pants
teacha.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have a blue hopsack suit which I like very much. I don't collect garbage, and have yet to be ostracized for it. My point is, as above, that class is difficult to determine, and is something that exists and changes based on a thousand different metrics, but out here, judging class by suit fabric is pretty difficult to do.
You're living in a fools paradise my friend. What you dont know is there is a secret society of us and after fellows like you depart, we laugh about your suits. As a matter of fact, hopsack-wearer is synonymous with bumpkin. But, as you can imagine, it's really a function of our own insecurities and ridiculous class anxieties. Deep down, we all want to have the courage to find a fabric that's suitable for an odd jacket and then take it to the next level and make it into a suit. This is the forte of any man of taste and elegance. If lambswool-Alpaca makes a soft jacket, well then, why not a suit!? The complete clothie has suit, tie, braces, pocket square, shirt and fedora all fashioned from the same mohair. Oh to be free of the shackles of class and be able to mandate elegance by commissioning suits simply by randommly selecting fabric books and then choosing whichever pattern we open it up to first.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I am uncertain of this, but if I were forced to offer an opinion, my current feeling is there really is no viable American "upper" class anymore...it's prior role is (1) more generally diffused among people with money of myriad backgrounds who seek and establish status largely non-dynastically and (2) it's prior role as an object for social ambition has been replaced by mass celebrity culture. "Class" implies sociable habits, which neither of the new groups manifest coherently.

I think class is less about money than you do, at least around here. It's a component, but not the component. An unreliable indicator, you might say.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You're living in a fools paradise my friend. What you dont know is there is a secret society of us and after fellows like you depart, we laugh about your suits. As a matter of fact, hopsack-wearer is synonymous with bumpkin.

But, as you can imagine, it's really a function of our own insecurities and ridiculous class anxieties. Deep down, we all want to have the courage to find a fabric that's suitable for an odd jacket and then take it to the next level and make it into a suit. This is the forte of any man of taste and elegance. If lambswool-Alpaca makes a soft jacket, well then, why not a suit!? The complete clothie has suit, tie, braces, pocket square, shirt and fedora all fashioned from the same mohair.

Oh to be free of the shackles of class and be able to mandate elegance by commissioning suits simply by randommly selecting fabric books and then choosing whichever pattern we open it up to first.

STFU.

Invicta

Reaction score
This seems necessary...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're living in a fools paradise my friend. What you dont know is there is a secret society of us and after fellows like you depart, we laugh about your suits. As a matter of fact, hopsack-wearer is synonymous with bumpkin.

I want to think that you are being facetious, but I can never be sure. So, apologies in advance.

Taking you in earnest, I think you are forgetting to consider the degree to which your social group's opinions are relevant in the first place. I am not put off by class discussions, per se, just by opinions that are couched in class positioning and fail to recognize that one's particular class may not be the one everyone else wants to be a part of. There's a lot of hubris in imagining others should want to be like you, despite their protestations and actions suggesting otherwise.

But, as you can imagine, it's really a function of our own insecurities and ridiculous class anxieties. Deep down, we all want to have the courage to find a fabric that's suitable for an odd jacket and then take it to the next level and make it into a suit. This is the forte of any man of taste and elegance. If lambswool-Alpaca makes a soft jacket, well then, why not a suit!? The complete clothie has suit, tie, braces, pocket square, shirt and fedora all fashioned from the same mohair.

Oh to be free of the shackles of class and be able to mandate elegance by commissioning suits simply by randommly selecting fabric books and then choosing whichever pattern we open it up to first.

Again, I think you are imagining that actions which incidentally correlate to your notions of class necessarily validate or show agreement with those notions. In other words: not everyone who selects the first cloth in a random fabric book is necessarily trying to free himself of the "shackles of class." Some people might just like hopsack--it is only your assumption that class anxiety underlies the preference for it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I want to think that you are being facetious, but I can never be sure. So, apologies in advance.

Taking you in earnest, I think you are forgetting to consider the degree to which your social group's opinions are relevant in the first place. I am not put off by class discussions, per se, just by opinions that are couched in class positioning and fail to recognize that one's particular class may not be the one everyone else wants to be a part of. There's a lot of hubris in imagining others should want to be like you, despite their protestations and actions suggesting otherwise.

Again, I think you are imagining that actions which incidentally correlate to your notions of class necessarily validate or show agreement with those notions. In other words: not everyone who selects the first cloth in a random fabric book is necessarily trying to free himself of the "shackles of class." Some people might just like hopsack--it is only your assumption that class anxiety underlies the preference for it.

Oh ****, this thread is now going to take a turn for the worse....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You may be right. I am so embarrassed.
frown.gif

A funny story, which may pull some of this together...

The last time I can remember laughing at somebody's apparel was after a dinner party at which a Boston based charity was looking to raise a substantial amount of money for a CA expansion. It was a rather small party, maybe twenty people, and one person whom I have known for thirty years showed up in khakis, a blue buttondown and a tie with pictures of his kids on it. If there were ever an outfit that said "garbageman out on the town" this would have been it. Of course, they guy was also exactly what vox described as a certain upper class (Exeter, Princeton, Harvard, Bohemian Club etc,) though he happens to be very active in the world these days as well.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You may be right. I am so embarrassed.
frown.gif
A funny story, which may pull some of this together... The last time I can remember laughing at somebody's apparel was after a dinner party at which a Boston based charity was looking to raise a substantial amount of money for a CA expansion. It was a rather small party, maybe twenty people, and one person whom I have known for thirty years showed up in khakis, a blue buttondown and a tie with pictures of his kids on it. If there were ever an outfit that said "garbageman out on the town" this would have been it. Of course, they guy was also exactly what vox described as a certain upper class (Exeter, Princeton, Harvard, Bohemian Club etc,) though he happens to be very active in the world these days as well.

Pull us together? Ha! There are two types of people my friend, those who wear hopsack jacket fabric as suits, and those who despise them. There are no half measures.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
That Hansel is so hot right now.
FTFY.
Pull us together? Ha! There are two types of people my friend, those who wear hopsack jacket fabric as suits because they like them, and those who despise them and subsequently tack on half-baked notions of what belongs (or not) to various social classes in order to apparently justify/legitimise their preference while simultaneously reassuring themselves of their superior social standing. There are no half measures, especially when trying to rationalise a simple dislike or suppressing feelings of insecurity.
FTFY.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anytime there is a chance for an interesting conversation you can be sure one of these "fellows" will poke their head out to make it personal and ruin it.

Can we take a vote on whether I 'made t personal'? I was merely responding earnestly to your comments. I don't think I said anything impolite or insulting--if I did, just show me where so I can rectify.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching Americans argue about class is like watching pygmies wrestle.

There is only one class distinction that matters, and only two classes. Those that can trace their family back before 1066, who can wear what they like and it doesn't matter, and those who can not trace their family back that far, who can also wear what they like, but because they don't matter.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzzsssgy