• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-piece suit to business meeting?

Gent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
OK, consider yourself corrected.

Please do elaborate. I've never had a three-piece, but for some reason I've thought this to be the case.

On a related note, I just came from my tailor's. Popped in with no notice as I happened to be in the neighbourhood. Anyway, I had the briefest chat with him and we arranged a time for me to properly order a flannel 3-piece. I had a wee look at some fabrics, and I sort of chose one already. Didn't have the time to go through the whole setup right then and there, but in a couple of weeks. My first flannel, my first 3-piece.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
3 piece suit is seen as an abomination by society. You will be labeled a leper and avoided by all business associates.

They were popular at a time, but now are considered "too stuffy", from what have seen. A good two-piece would be great.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

I have several 3 piece suits where the vest back color approximates the suit color while the lining, including the vest lining, is brighter.

As to the OP's question, I think you can wear a 3 piece suit in any business situation if, in doing so, you don't look like you're wearing costume. This is a function of both the suit itself and the person wearing it. If you are young and self-concious about the vest, better to leave it off. Also, vests look like crap if the suit has belted trousers.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I like vests and view those who wear them for business to have good taste in clothing and to be taken more seriously...especially amongst lawyers

Thus I would encourage the OP to wear them at a business meeting

0f012c23.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

Love it, especially the high opening of the vest.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I understand by your post that New York is not known for its grammar.

Hey and you know I got a B+ at GCSE English! you should write a letter to the daily mail.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
Please do elaborate. I've never had a three-piece, but for some reason I've thought this to be the case. On a related note, I just came from my tailor's. Popped in with no notice as I happened to be in the neighbourhood. Anyway, I had the briefest chat with him and we arranged a time for me to properly order a flannel 3-piece. I had a wee look at some fabrics, and I sort of chose one already. Didn't have the time to go through the whole setup right then and there, but in a couple of weeks. My first flannel, my first 3-piece.
It's the case that the back of the vest matches the rest of the lining, irrespective of the pattern/color of the lining.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of three-pieces where the vest just barely pokes out behind the jacket?:

0401sevile3.jpg

Seems like that adds a lot of class, pulls the tie hard against your body, but doesn't come off as looking like a cartoonish aristocrat.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
What do you guys think of three-pieces where the vest just barely pokes out behind the jacket?:

0401sevile3.jpg

Seems like that adds a lot of class, pulls the tie hard against your body, but doesn't come off as looking like a cartoonish aristocrat.

That's fine, in fact I think it's rather crass having your tie danging down like an exposed dong.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worked in finance in Boston and New York for the past 15 years. I also travel the country quite a bit for work. I can think of exactly one person I have come into contact with who wore a three piece suit - an older and very senior person at my old firm. That's not to say there is something wrong with them, but I just don't see it. Since many designers seem to be selling them (or at least offering them for sale) these days this may change.

ironmarshal

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all to wear a three piece in the office, even if the dress code is dress casual. I wear my suits, including a three piece every now and then. if you aren't comfortable enough to wear it with confidence then don't try it. If you're not comfortable then you'll come off as somebody who's trying too hard, and that's not what you want.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anti-three piece people in this thread are crazy. I am barely 27 and work at a super-conservative, well-respected firm. I barely get any comments when I wear a three piece. If I get one, its always positive. A three piece is as classic as it gets and anyone that thinks its ostentatious in and of itself is likely a total slob.

Of course, all of this is to say that ANY clothing can be made ostentatious if you really want. Adding insane patterns, loud colors, and loopy amounts of sprezz to your three piece outfit will make it ostentatious. But then, adding those elements to your two piece will make it equally ostentatious.

sifl

Reaction score
You're very young and of little importance, which is likely why people pay no attention to you.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
views on 3 piece? how is this viewed in society for business lunch attire for serious meeting

Who are you meeting with and for what type of business? Also, how old are the clients or attendants of the meeting?

I work in the legal field and a wear them frequently. I never have had a negative comment, in fact, quite the contrary. But, in other lines of work, it may not be accepted so graciously.

Like a peer told me one time, if you act like a jack-ass, it doesn't matter how well you are dressed! So, I think it may only be ostentacious or over the top if you act that way.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Anti-three piece people in this thread are crazy. I am barely 27 and work at a super-conservative, well-respected firm. I barely get any comments when I wear a three piece. If I get one, its always positive. A three piece is as classic as it gets and anyone that thinks its ostentatious in and of itself is likely a total slob.

Of course, all of this is to say that ANY clothing can be made ostentatious if you really want. Adding insane patterns, loud colors, and loopy amounts of sprezz to your three piece outfit will make it ostentatious. But then, adding those elements to your two piece will make it equally ostentatious.

well said.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members