1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

3-piece suit to business meeting?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AvariceBespoke, Oct 9, 2009.

1. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

I've actually been debating having my very first 3-piece suit made for the winter. If for nothing else, for the extra warmth. I work in a very conservative branch, but I'm fairly sure I can pull it off without looking a) fashion forward, or b) ostentatious. However, I'm thinking I'll go for a very classic darkish grey, which will probably never look over the top.

One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

Don't take the jacket off.

2. Gent

Gent Well-Known Member

Long days at the office, I'm rather inclined to take it off more often than not. Meetings or whatnot and it stays on.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

It depends on how you carry it off and the type of meeting you will be attending. An investment banking group in NYC during fall/winter -- perfect. A new media/internet brainstorming session in San Francisco -- not the best choice. Being comfortable in whatever you wear will make it work.

Twotone

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I wear them all the time. I am usually the youngest, but the most senior, person in the meetings from my company. I wear them because I can.

I think that they are great to wear in business settings, but it really depends on if you, as a person, and you as a position, can pull it off.

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

the look is biglaw sr partner. better on 'less bulky' types...

6. T-Lama

T-Lama Active Member

I like them. If Ari Gold can pull them off, so can you.

7. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I wear them most of the time, and am not usualy the only one who dose so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I suppose it could be considered pertentious in some work environments, it could also depend on your status with the company. I am head of an entire division of the company where I work so I can go all out if I want where as someone under might not want to, even though I wouldn't personaly discourage it.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Only if you work at Sterling Cooper and your name is Roger Sterling.
    Or Ari Gold: [​IMG]

9. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

I suppose you could look like a ponce if you have a paisley handkerchief in your pocket and a sterling watch chain across your torso and a tie pin.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If I had one, I'd wear it in business settings.

11. Finsen

Finsen Senior member

If you are confident enough to wear it, instead of having the suit wearing you, you will definitely stand out from the crowd with a dash of old-school flair.

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I've been wanting to wear my 3 piece to the office but I keep chickening out, I would get endless shit for it. I only have one colleague close to my age who wears a 3 piece regularly and oddly enough he never draws a single comment, but he's a linebacker sized black man. He keeps telling me to stop being a pussy and just wear the vest, but I don't think I can rock it with quite the same level of confidence as he does. LOL

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nobody's ever made a fuss over what I wear, and I obviously dress like I care. That being said, everyone will laugh at you if it's not Tom Ford.

14. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I like vests and view those who wear them for business to have good taste in clothing and to be taken more seriously...especially amongst lawyers

Thus I would encourage the OP to wear them at a business meeting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I have four. I would absolutely never wear them to work, because I know my industry. You have to know yours and gauge not only the appropriateness of the waistcoat, but whether it is appropriate for you to wear one. These are separate things. ~ H

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Nobody's ever made a fuss over what I wear, and I obviously dress like I care. That being said, everyone will laugh at you if it's not Tom Ford.

Unless you work in the clothing biz, or live in a major metropolitan city, no one knows who Tom Ford is, nor do they know about his label.

17. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've actually been debating having my very first 3-piece suit made for the winter. If for nothing else, for the extra warmth. I work in a very conservative branch, but I'm fairly sure I can pull it off without looking a) fashion forward, or b) ostentatious. However, I'm thinking I'll go for a very classic darkish grey, which will probably never look over the top.

One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

You just have to get used to it and of course if you can't you can have the back a different colour if you wish. Interestingly I am seing more people going for less flashy linings these days but most of the suits I make a 3 piece now. Then again I nearly always wear them.

18. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't know how it is in the US, but in England it is not considered 'fashion forward' to wear a regular fitting three-piece suit. In fact, such things conjure up images of Winston Churchill and Albert Pierrepoint (though I believe Churchill wore black lounge).

You live in the ghost town of coventry though not really known for it's fashion.

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Unless you work in the clothing biz, or live in a major metropolitan city, no one knows who Tom Ford is, nor do they know about his label.
    Nice to see you, Jon.

20. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

views on 3 piece? how is this viewed in society for business lunch attire for serious meeting
    Nothing wrong with it. Some wear it, some don't, regardless of age bracket.