• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find the cheapest "beater" suit possible?

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Hello all, I would like some assistance in trying to find the cheapest suits possible with the following requirements: -100% Wool. I may settle for a blend. -38 S. It's tough to find suits sometimes for my size, so size availability matters. -Solid Charcoal and/or Navy. Color availability matters too. -Single breasted, two-button notch lapel. Three-button is okay. -Flat front pants. Is it worth getting pleated trousers converted, or should I just keep an eye out for flat fronts? I was thinking Jos. A Bank sales would be the best way about this--which sales should I keep an eye out for? Banana Republic also looks a bit tempting, but will a BR suit last? Since I want a specific size and specific colors, outlets and stores such as Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc. are out of the question--they usually have the obscure patterns and sizes that nobody really wears. I plan to also purchase at least one MTM suit before the end of the year, but I would just like some cheaper suits to swap in throughout the week (and to wear during heavy partying!) Edit: Jos. A Bank here seems to have what I want for $179.00, but with pleated trousers.

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Goodwill

I've been hitting up Goodwill and other thrift stores in my area (and neighboring counties), but when it comes to solid navy/charcoal in my size, I have yet to find anything remotely acceptable.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for "cheap" try kohls or even walmart.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo? H&M? Topman?

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Uniqlo? H&M? Topman?

It's strange that this isn't common knowledge by now...

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
for "cheap" try kohls or even walmart.

Kohl's is on my list. I haven't seen any suits in my local Wal-Marts though.

Originally Posted by origenesprit
Uniqlo? H&M? Topman?

Never ever heard of Topman. There is no Uniqlo anywhere close to me, and the H&M suits are not wool.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epic raccoon
Kohl's is on my list. I haven't seen any suits in my local Wal-Marts though.

Wal-Mart does have suits, but I highly doubt they are wool.

Never ever heard of Topman. There is no Uniqlo anywhere close to me, and the H&M suits are not wool.
Some of H&M suits are wool, some are not. Just look more carefully. Try Target.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in your boat a couple weeks ago. same suit size too. Try Target, and definetely avoid Jos A. Bank, and Men's Wearhouse for that matter.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Thrift Store...

Go to a few, and you'll find which has nice suits. Don't be discouraged if you go to a few stores and not find crap. Keep it up and I guarantee after going to a handful or two you'll find what you want for $10-25. Possibly even multiple suits. I found one that only had 30-40 suits, at least 10 of which are Brooks Brothers and up.

dzang

Reaction score
I saw a relatively decent grey suit at target for around $70. Not bad for a beater I guess.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanlawrence