• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate your city: why you love it or lump it.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't yet seen Washington, DC -- so here it is. 7

Pros:
  • Simply stellar food. If you want Peruvian, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Korean, Salvadorian, and anything else, we've got it all in prices from $5 hole-in-the-wall to $500 lobbyist specials.
  • No need to own a car to get to most of the stuff worth getting to.
  • A surprising sense of identity for such a transient town.
  • Jobs & economy. It's a company town... and that company is the federal government.
  • Snow in the winter, heat & sun in the summer, mild but occasionally surprising autumn & spring.
  • No end of nightlife, with varied abundance.
  • High chick-to-dude ratio.
  • Three international airports, each adequately served by public transportation.

Cons:
  • Congressional control of local budget. Those nine folks killed by the train crash last June? Let's just say it wasn't for lack of awareness that there was a problem.
  • People from all over the world end up here... and it shows in their driving habits. If roadtripping through the area, avoid the Beltway between the hours of 5am and 10pm.
  • Too many Type-A folks.
  • My 623 sq ft apartment two blocks north of the city limits just got the rent cranked up to $1486/month.
  • Being the capital of the free world is pretty awesome, but it attracts certain elements that one really doesn't need in everyday life. I'm looking at you, large slow tourist families and dumbass hippy protester toolbags. Stand right, walk left, don't wear your new "FBI" ballcaps until you get back home to Nebraska.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edmonton, AB: 7 Edmonton can be summed up as a good place to live but a crappy place to visit. Pros: It's the "cultural capital" of Canada Nice river valley with tonnes of trails and parks World class educational system Summers are generally pretty awesome in terms of the weather The economy is second to none (This is true for all of Alberta) 3 hours away from the rocky mountains Home of the Edmonton Oilers. Cons: Winters can be pretty brutal Public transit is horrendous Too much urban sprawl. Nightlife is so so Not enough fine dining Downtown sucks (but is getting better)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New York ****** Rating: 7.3/10 Pros:
  • Lots of single women
  • Anonymity
  • Automatically makes you superior to people living anywhere else in the US
  • Entertainment - museums, shows, live music, sports, dining - top notch if you have the funds
  • Excellent karaoke options
  • I know a good sandwich place
Cons:
  • Rampant consumerism
  • Soulless douchebags
  • Workaholic culture
  • Taxes
  • Everything is too expensive
  • Weather
  • Most women are psychos
  • Fast track to alcoholism
  • NJ/LI/SI people swarming in on the weekends
  • Hipsters
  • Bankers
  • Addictive and hard to leave
  • No place for sports or enjoying nature
  • Dirty slush for three months
  • Hot girls are bitchier than in other places
  • Will drive you to despair and existential panic

ns_guy

Reaction score
Calgary - 6 Pros: -Economy: Job opportunities are good I think, of course like any city also hit by the downturn in the economy. -Mountains: Lots of opportunity to get outdoors into the Rocky Mountains, only about an hour away. And Banff is a nice day trip in itself. -Skiing: Lots of ski hills accessable within 2 hours from Calgary, and more within a 3-4 hour drive. -Only province in Canada not to have a provincial sales tax (5% sales tax versus 12-14% elsewhere in Canada), making shopping more fun. -Food: Decent selection of places to eat, and reasonable prices. Of course, Alberta beef is awesome so that helps in the food category. -Stampede: I like to think it's a good time, though some may disagree. -Home to the Calgary Flames. Cons: -City planning -> mostly suburbia, not much in the downtown core, and I would rate the nightlife as not being as vibrant as other cities like Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal. It's beginning to redevelop in the downtown core, but slowly. -Weather: It ranges from brutally hot in the summer (+30 celsius) to incredibly cold (-30 or below) in the winter. Summers are too short-lived. -Public transit: Unless you live close to the C-Train (above ground subway), your commute will suck -> due to the crappy public transit, most people have to drive. -Politics: Not really existent, as the conservatives have a stronghold here and incumbents always win.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the women are twats (not that it matters much as i'm married), restaurants are great but so are the restaurants in chicago which in my view is a superior city, morons seemingly see no problem with paying 750k + for a shoe box, everything is overpriced, too many hipsters, old-ass first-time parents repulse me, it's drunk with liberalism, i think it presents a false sense of racial harmony that exists in some places but not in nyc, the subway system still sucks, most schools are ****, people who grow up in manhattan are by and large assholes, it has lost any spirit/sense of fun, the upper west and upper east sides are some of the most horific places on earth, everyone south of 14th street grew up in ohio, humid in the summer, filthy in comparison to many major cities. shall i continue?

Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
Hey, sorry to pry, but do you mind going even a little into why NYC loses five points in your rating? I'm going on my fifth year here, not a veteran by any means, but I can feel the city wearing me down and sometimes I think of going home. One less West Coaster - probably good news for a lot of the NY natives who hate us.
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if sacramento is a six, what's akron or cleveland? a 30?

Originally Posted by DesignerValet
Sacramento, 6

PROS
-close to San Francisco
-despite popular belief, it's not ENTIRELY bereft of culture; we don't have the best of anything, but what we do have is generally passable
-racially diverse with mostly harmonious race relations
-housing is cheaper compared to other major metropolitan areas in CA
-people are not as vapid/ self-centeredly obnoxious (southern CA) nor as politically correct/ sanctimoniously obnoxious (Bay Area)
-nice amount of rain and fog in the winter (a plus in my book)
-driving is much easier and generally less aggravating than in other parts of CA

CONS
-the heat; it starts warming up in early April and doesn't cool off until late October
-horrific number of irritating suburbs (Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills) filled to the gills with Juicy Couture tracksuit wearing/Ugg clomping/Escalade driving morons
-a truly crappy downtown
-cars are an absolute must
-complete lack of interesting stores (would kill for a Barney's or Saks)

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
New York ******

Rating: 7.3/10

Pros:

[/list]

Great post. Enjoyed reading it.

As for Edmonton, Stazy, "cultural capital" of Canada? When did that happen?

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Buffalo Pros:
  • It's cheap
  • Decent amount of cultural stuff for its size
  • Good sports town
  • Very good blue-collar food like wings and beef
  • People are generally friendly
Cons:
  • Snows too much
  • Depressed local economy
  • Pervasive NYC inferiority complex
  • Snows too much

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Birmingham, AL - 4/10

Pros:
This is where I am legally allowed to suck on brains.
We just bought a pretty sweet house.
Chick-Fil-A

Cons:
Driving: People drive ten miles an hour under the speed limit...in the fast lane.
Accents: I can't understand what one quarter of my patients say to me (this excludes the brain injured patients).
There is nothing to do other than go to a handful of decent restaurants and a few movie theaters.
If you want any sort of electronic equipment better than what they sell at Best Buy, you're fucked.
In general the produce at the grocery store is pretty ******.
I could go on, but I'm here for 7 years and don't need to have my mind on all the ****** things at once. I might kill myself.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student

Pros:
Chick-Fil-A

Man, I really wish we had those up here. I remember them from my youth. mmm

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NYC 9. One point off because of all the B&T douches like kunk who think this is their city.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
NYC 9. One point off because of all the B&T douches like kunk who think this is their city.

Ouch.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
where did you grow up? brklyn presumable makes me more a new yorker than your yuppy ass will ever be.

Originally Posted by gdl203

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
where did you grow up? brklyn presumable makes me more a new yorker than your yuppy ass will ever be.
Please tell us about your own shithole out on the island, Mr B&T. I think that's what the thread is about.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrimFandango