• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG v. Vass

agoldf

Reaction score
For a basic work shoe which would you prefer and why?
They seem to be around the same price.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
personally i would get a mixture of both - as both make great shoes why settle for one? it is not a marriage
fing02[1].gif

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Vass: better quality, workmanship and value

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoldf
For a basic work shoe which would you prefer and why?
They seem to be around the same price.

It comes down to preference. Both artisans should be in a man's wardrobe.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if i could only buy one shoe from the 2 makers, it would be a Vass in the U-last. then later on i would build my collection of EG's around that one Vass
devil.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that Vass are better value, because of the handwork. However at this (very high) level of quality I would just decide on the basis of aesthetics and fit.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
The consensus seems to be that Vass are better value, because of the handwork. However at this (very high) level of quality I would just decide on the basis of aesthetics and fit.

I'd say Vass are better value b/c they charge less for a shoe of comparable quality. Absolute quality in aggregate IMO is about the same, although as others mention, this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges - construction, edge to Vass, finishing (specifically the antiquing of the leathers), edge to EG. Design is in the eye of the beholder - EG is good to excellent IMO across the entire line, Vass has two superb lasts (U and F, although U last can be a tough fit for wider feet), but I really dislike some of Vass' more traditional styles (clunky clunky clunky - I know that there are others who really like the authenticity of those styles, I personally think they make the wearer look like frankenstein - I will say, those styles are quite regionally specific). I'd also mention customer service here - EG is what you would expect of a relatively larger operation - professional, if perhaps not exactly efficient, make fewer mistakes. Vass' service is, ah, artisinal - sometimes you get what you asked for, sometimes you don't, and delivery is almost always later than promised. That said, they will fix any mistakes they make, in my experience.

In short - get both, but I'd vote to start with EG if you are only going to buy one.

agoldf

Reaction score
I like the 888 last from EG which I have seen (and tried on) in person. Vass is more tricky as far as sizing and I can't check out the lasts in person.
frown.gif

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoldf
I like the 888 last from EG which I have seen (and tried on) in person. Vass is more tricky as far as sizing and I can't check out the lasts in person.
frown.gif

If that is the case, go with the EG first. Sizing on Vass is a bit tricky depending on the last. Once you gained more confidence (perhaps do a search in the forum) in terms of sizes, move onto to Vass.

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
I have a number of both EG and Vass and I agree with most posters that you cannot go wrong with either. It is truly a personal decision. If the decision is solely based on price, Vass is hard to beat. However, if it comes down to style, lasts, finish, choices, etc. EG is the winner in my opinion.

Strictly for me, based solely on my opinion of wearing both, I prefer EG. I love the U and F lasts that Vass has, but the fit of the EG 888, 606 and 82 just fit my foot better and as my criteria is fit is more important than price, I choose EG.

Either way you can't go wrong, but I would strongly encourage you to try on both, especially the Vass if you are thinking about the U last. It can be tricky for certain types of feet.

agoldf

Reaction score
My concern about fit leads me to limit myself to the F last as first try. So the question comes down to the EG888 or the Vass F. Style wise I think the 888 has the edge but again I've never seen the F in person. Now the U, if it fits, seems to compare well to the 888.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketheduke